• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another Unscheduled Dismount

talcon

While coming back from the AMA Pro Hill Climb in West Branch, MI yesterday - I took the long scenic route home.. and decided I would be okay with some dual-sport action on the dirt roads with the Connie as it was already quite dirty from riding in the rain weekend before last.  To make it more interesting, I left the GPS in the case and in the trunk.. just to see if I could navigate by compass and get home.   

I ended up on several dead-end dirt roads out in the middle of nowhere (like a maze with no markers) ... one road I'm standing on the pegs in some areas - I got to the end, and right at the end of the road is the "Dead End" sign in front of the woods.  Now (me being logical and semi-normal) I would have thought that sign would be better placed back at the intersection where I had turned down this road to begin with!  :-[

I ended up in a little cul-de-sac of deep sand, and just before getting it straightened around for the return trip - over she went on the left side.  I hit the kill switch immediately, left it in first, the mirror folded over, and no other damage as the sand was SOFT.. Picked it back up no problem, fold the mirror back out, started right up and off I went.  No need to look around to see if anyone saw it.. unless they were forest critters!  :eek:

Shortly after-that, I hooked up the GPS and told it to get me out of there!!!  It was a nice ride too.. turned my 1 1/2 hour trip into a 4 hour trip and only one deer ran in front of me maybe 40 yards away.  We really have some beautiful country-side in Michigan.

Hey- are Area Assistant Directors allowed to drop their bike?? I thought you are supposed to be an example of to the rest of us?  Sorry to hear that, glad it was in sand. That color makes the bike seem more curvy and modern for some reason. :)

talcon is cool :great: :great: :great:

ACISROC said:
Hey- are Area Assistant Directors allowed to drop their bike?? I thought you are supposed to be an example of to the rest of us?  Sorry to hear that, glad it was in sand. That color makes the bike seem more curvy and modern for some reason. :)

Yes, we are allowed to drop the bike - that way when all the little crap breaks, we have something to work on and show everybody at the next tech day/wrench session.  :D

I'm calling this bike my "learning" bike or "starter" bike  .. heh heh.  We'll just say I've replaced a few foot pegs and brackets too..  among other things.

Nice meeting everybody too!  RWulf has a list started:  1) Rocks are not your friend,  2) Deep Sand is not your friend, etc...  :rotflmao:

He's an example to the rest of us in that he had the good sense to drop her into nice soft sand so nothing broke! 

I love the GPS; you can never really get lost, so you can try all sorts of cool new roads.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 549th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0545 C14 Thomas Wrede
0546 C10 Jeffrey Hayes
0547 C14 Gary Moniz
0548 C10 Jesus Alvarez
0549 C10 Randy Tata

ChipDoc said:
He's an example to the rest of us in that he had the good sense to drop her into nice soft sand so nothing broke! 

I love the GPS; you can never really get lost, so you can try all sorts of cool new roads.

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 549th recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0545 C14 Thomas Wrede
0546 C10 Jeffrey Hayes
0547 C14 Gary Moniz
0548 C10 Jesus Alvarez
0549 C10 Randy Tata

Whoops.. Sorry Chip - should have told you I already have number 222 !!!!  (which I really like cause it's easy to remember)

Unless you're handing out numbers for each drop... I'll need a lot of numbers though...  :-[

I went ahead and added my CDA number to my sig for the next, ahem, time I may drop it..

Back in the good old days, eh?  Well thanks for adding 222 to your sigline, but to be honest I probably wouldn't have noticed it anyhow.  Glad you're ok though.

OK, folks.  CDA# 549 is back on the market.  Come on, let's drop those Connies!  er...  :truce:

talcon said:
ACISROC said:

RWulf has a list started:  1) Rocks are not your friend,  2) Deep Sand is not your friend, etc...  :rotflmao:

And 3) Mud is evil!

BLS9272.jpg

backoutonthehighway said:
  RWulf has a list started:  1) Rocks are not your friend,  2) Deep Sand is not your friend, etc...  :rotflmao:

And 3) Mud is evil!

BLS9272.jpg

Oh no!!!  What did you do to that poor Concours!!! LOL

Mud is way evil
I made it about 5 feet then took 5 hours to get the bike out and back in running order with all the mud gravel and weeds stuck in my front fender.