• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

antler covers/mod for best of both

m in sc

Street Cruiser
this is a quick pic layout of what i did on mine. I run the racke, use the bags maybe 30% of the time.

per connie_rider's suggestions on an older post, I used a bolt to transfer witness marks ontot he inside of the cover for the drill points. so, its an M8 bolt. Luckily, i had an m8 body bolt (think it came off a ford ranger) with a very sharp point. I cut the head off, it needs to be a minimum of 1.12 long tip to end of threads. i then backed it in the bolt holes and pushed the covers onto the pointy bit to make a mark. the front hole was about an inch out, back was 5/8 out. (pics show). then center drill, then 7/8" hole (antler is 0.800" diameter) with proper hole saw (step bit would probably work) and done.

here's the pics. very happy with the cleaner results. pics taken w phone so not perfet:

antler-cover-mod_01.jpg

rear

antler-cover-mod_02.jpg

front

antler-cover-mod_06.jpg

antler-cover-mod_03.jpg

antler-cover-mod_04.jpg

verify before drilling the big hole. camera is at an angle but the end lined up looking straight on:

antler-cover-mod_05.jpg

antler-cover-mod_08.jpg

antler-cover-mod_10.jpg

antler-cover-mod_11.jpg

hope that helps someone.  :beerchug:

side note, and i just noticed this earlier when i was filing the pics on my computer. if you look at the covers in the pics on the bike, it looks like it 'spider web' cracked around the hole. It didnt, thats the reflection of the top antler casting ..i actually went down this morning before work and looked at it to make sure. :rotflmao:  whew.

Good job.  I did mine a few years back, after I think Dan Bergmen came up with the idea.

Attachments

• email  pic of antlers - Copy (640x480).jpg
    email pic of antlers - Copy (640x480).jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 98
Can one of you that has done this mod post a picture of what it looks like without the antler installed?  I like the look of the cover on there with the antler and side case installed, but when/if I ride without the side cases, I would take the antlers off (even after doing this mod) because they are so ugly.  Wondering what the cover looks like installed with 2 big holes in it.  Thanks.

I have some body plugs coming for mine just in case, but i (currently) never take the antlers off so?  If i pulled them on and off frequently i wouldn't have drilled the covers.

That may not be helpful. But I get where you're going w it.

I don't think I would drill the covers if I always remove the antlers when the bags are not on the bike.
With the bags on, you can't really see if the cover is there or not.

If you opt to drill the holes,  a plug {like m in sc mentioned) would be the best option.

Ride safe, Ted