• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Anyone here came from Hayabusa or ZX-14?

nuckaman

Training Wheels
Hello all-

New guy here, seriously considering the Con14 as my next purchase, which will be sometime this year.

Anyone here have or came from Hayabusa  or ZX-14? If so, how close is the performance of the Con14 compared to one of them?

Yes, I do understand the Con14 is shaft driven, heavier, toned-down ZX-14 motor, just wondering how much is given up?

I'm a long time Hayabusa rider, but for the serious long haul, multi-day, multi-state trips, I do some time wish for something a little more upright, comfortable, and some of the creature comforts something like the Con14 offers.

Thanks, great site with some great information here.

^-^

Welcome to the forum.

I am a sportbike guy myself.  I raced and rode 600s for 16+ years before buying my 09 C14.  I am not a Busa/ZX14 guy, but i have ridden Busa's plenty during bike swaps on longer rides with buddies.  So I can give you some moderately educated opinions.

The difference between the C14 and those bikes is all about refinement.  As you have mentioned, the C14s power is down a bit to those hyperbikes.  But the character is certainly there.  Those other bikes have a raw-power quality that many sportbikes have.  When you twist the throttle you have a bike under you that is begging to be opened up.  It calls you to do something irresponsible with it.  It just wants you to kick it a little bit at the stop light, or to twist the throttle hard to pass people in traffic.  The C14 has that character, tho it is muted just a bit and hiding under a much more refined package.  The motor is straight C14, for sure.  but in the lower rpms, it will peddle around town as if you are riding a big electric scooter.  its quiet, it wont scare you in the lower revs, and it wont intimidate you or the traffic around you.  However, if you get out onto the open highway, and you look to roll-on to pass a car or truck, or if you hold your shifting until the rpms rise a bit, that old hyperbike character comes out.  Before you know it, you look down, still in 3rd or 4th gear, and you are in the triple diget range.  My first month and a half of riding the bike i kept finding myself having to double-take, then double-check my speeds as i seemed to always be in the 85-95mph range on the highway.  the motor pushing out dollops of power in a smooth and refined manor, where i didnt realize that i was moving that fast. 

To prove the point to myself, while riding on the interstate, i was passed by two liter-bikes and a Busa once.  With my saddlebags attached, they must have waved and dismissed me as a tourer just out for a ride.  With a simple twist and roll-on, i caught up to, and stayed with them, for the next 4 miles as they tried their best to impress me with their abilities and equipment.  Well, needless to say, they were surprised that they couldnt shake me; sorry guys.  At an exit and subsequent stop light, I explained the best that i could about the ZX14 engine underneath the sport-touring guise.

As a sportbike guy, and racer/trackday rider, its great to know that underneath it all the C14 wants to be a sportbike.  At any point in time you can twist the throttle, bend into a curve, and know that the engine and suspension are there to fill that need.  But it has been great for me, and i think it will be for you as well, to ride without worrying about comfort, to have the bonus of an adjustable screen when it rains or gets colder, and have the extra of the saddlebags if you want or need to stop at the store before going home.  Add to that the latest and greatest in motorcycle technology (on the newer models-my 09 doesnt have those).

I hope this helps with your buying consideration.  I went thru similar comparisons, knowing that i was going to want a 'sportbike' every once in a while...still :motonoises:

'I left a Hayabusa and bought an FJR. Thought I missed the Busa so I bought another used one which I did not keep for long. Now stepped up to the Concours and wont be looking back.  ;D

I have a 2008 ZX-14.  It is very comfortable, smooth bike.  I have some soft luggage for it and have done numerous 500mi+ days on it.  It is a fantastic bike for touring.  The ZX-14 has about 100 less pounds of weight and about 35-40 more horsepower to the tire versus a C14.  The new ZX-14R for 2012 has 55-60 more horsepower.  The combined weight difference and the extra power results in a significant performance difference. 

Both bikes are awesome, however, dont let anyone kid you into thinking that a C14 has ZX14/ZX14R power or handling.  There is a huge difference between the two. 

I came from a 06 ZX14 also.It's been a great bike with almost 56,000 miles on it.The C14 is way more comfortable for what I was doing on the ZX.

I have a ZX14 with a Muzzy full exhaust, velocity stacks, ignition advanced 4*, PCV, flies removed and BMC race filter tuned to 186/112 on a stingy dyno. In comparison, my Connie is quite tame but the level of refinement and ammeneties is a nice change for when I want to go see the sights and smell the roses. It would be tough to decide if I had to keep just one!

I still have my Gen 1 Hayabusa but it isn't exactly stock: full exhaust and PCIII, aftermarket wheels, upgraded fork internals, ohlins shock ... all in all it lost over 30 lbs.

What the concours doesn't have vs. Hayabusa: instant torque from off-idle; crazy acceleration from any speed including above 150; "handling" on smooth twisties with good sightlines (right-left-right transitions, more aggresive ergos allows for sportier riding, also better ground clearance); easier to push around the garage (the concours feels much heavier).

What the Concours has over the Hayabusa: Comfortable ergos (upright seating, much more legroom, much better wind protection); very smooth engine performance; "handling" on rougher roads with poor sightlines (upright seating, higher/wider bars); and of course hard luggage.

You can do things with the Concours to improve low-end torque, like secondary fly's removal or ECU reflashing or TRE.  I currently have a TRE and it does help alot.  I'm looking to do an ECU reflash soon (primarily to smooth the off-on throttle response).  Me personally, I no longer have the need to do high-speeds on the streets so I don't really miss the Haybusa's advantages in that regard.  As to the handling, where I live most of the roads are of the rough with poor sightlines variety.  So that leaves the pushing around the garage - at least it gives you a good workout.

Why not just have both NM?? It's not like you're gonna get big money from your used Busa, so I say keep it! Speaking for myself it's very nice having multiple options in the garage bro. The Connie get's winter commutes, longer rips, having mama or my daughter with me, and the Gixxer gets nice summer days, twistie carving days, and just fun fast rides, etc...
:) ;)

mnofpeace-

Did you race in any series?
I'm used to race 600 super stock in the WERA and Club level at Willow Springs for a long while, working my up to hopefully nationals but than the economy fell out, and so did much of the support to keep going. Raced Suzuki, mostly due to personal contacts and their contingency program. Whole time wishing I could get a spot on their Yosh-Zuki Factory ride, but a couple no names was occupying the spots, I think their names where mat madlin and Ben Spies, or something like that.

Anyways thanks everyone for their responses.
Trying to arrange a test ride for a C14, but after spending some time at a dealer sitting on them, and knowing the engine architecture , I don't think its necessary,  its pretty much a bike that fits all my needs and wants. Hopefully in spring time, I will be a new C14 owners.

As much as I love the Hayabusa, its gotta go due to garage space, the C14 ain't built like a runway model.

NuckaMan said:
As much as I love the Hayabusa, its gotta go due to garage space, the C14 ain't built like a runway model.

All depends on what she's modeling...  ;)

Nuckaman...

I raced CCS novice in middle weight super stock, super bike back in the early 2000s, then later i ran GTO or GTU (i cant remember which) for the tracktime from 04-08.  I cut it way back when my kids were born in the later 2000s, and have only run local track specific races at VIR and Summit Point WV; mostly middle weight novice stuff.  for me, a victory came when i could finish in the top 5 in a heat race, or something like that.  I never had the balls to put in the real work and earn enough points to get out of the novice classes.  Now that i am over 40, and have a new bike to run, and SV650, i may jump into the Formula 40 GT, GP, or lightweight classes.

My prompt for buying the C14 was that my body was protesting anytime i jumped on my R6 to commute to work.  it always seemed like a great idea walking up to the bike.  But 15 minutes in, my back and knees started to remind me of what i am currently made of.  Now, if i want to bend up like a pretzel, ill hit a Team Pro Motion or NESBA trackday here in the eastern USA.

mnofpeace-

Looking to get a SV650 myself for the track. Need to find the heavy-heart and finally letting go of my GSXR600 race bike that is sitting in the corner being neglected. Over here, SV650 racing is super-competitive but also super fun because it’s light natured racing and without politics.

Back on topic-

More importantly over power, how is the C14 handling? I know it won’t turn like a 600, but is it a pretty good handler?

Nuckaman...Back on topic-

>More importantly over power, how is the C14 handling? I know it won’t turn like a 600, but is it a pretty good handler?<

You are correct in saying that the bike is NOT a supersport.  However, those upside down forks and solo shock out back do their job, but you have to use any experience that you have to tune them to do what you want them to do.  Others have posted how they like the plushness of the suspension for longer hauling.  For me, it took me a good month of twisting knobs, ride, twist some more, ride, to get the front and rear to work the way that i wanted them to but also to be less stressful and hyper than what a supersport can be.

Long story medium, the suspension does a good job so that the bike holds its line, lets you put it where you want it to go, and makes any spirited rides on twisty roads fun and rewarding. 

The one thing that this bike does make you do, because of its size, is you have to plan your line a little ahead of time.  Obviously on a middleweight, you can literally wait until the very last minute to brake and toss it into any corner which makes it a scalpel in public and on the race track.  With the C14, if you get the suspension set up to your liking, taking on twisty roads will be a little more work, but the bike will track, on the brakes or accelerating,  thru the line that you have decided to take. 

One thing that i and others have also found, is that the bike is pretty reative to rubber choice.  The stock tires are pretty crappy in terms of handling.  I am using Mich Power road-2s.  get the pressure correct and turn in is a breeze, but a little extra effort is needed to make any corner corrections or to power thru a turn and keep it from standing up, so that you can finish the corner.  I have also heard similar good things about the Avon sport touring tires as well as the Dunlops.

off topic-the SV will be totally new to me this season.  i have never even ridden a Vtwin before.  right now i am stacking parts and preparing for a full work-on day to get it set up to my liking.  i wanted it for the exact reason that you have suggested, It will be alot less hyper, lower power, smaller, easy to throw around.  and hopefully as fun as my previous 1st-gen R6 was before i threw it down.

I still have my 2008 ZX14 decked out as a C14 wanna-be except it keeps its performance and handling.

See some others have ZX14s too. Mine will trounce a 2012 stock ZX14R. But if they put a CT-Duals exhaust system and piggy on it, we'd be about even until we hit 100 or so, then it would walk away from me.

Mine is about 50-60 pounds lighter than a 2012 ZX14R, and its got a few more ponies than a stock one.

When I finally get a C14, I'll notice the added weight, and the reduced horsepower, but it won't bother me because I will get a lot of other benefits that are now more important to me.

If I could wind the clock back to August 2008 I'd ride out of the dealers lot with a C14.

I haven't ridden the ZX14 or busa, but I did get myself into a couple of litre bikes when I first got back to riding last year after 14yr hiatus.  I thought I was still the young squidly type and found out quick how wrong I was.  my '08 ZX10R and '08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory are a great fun to ride... for an hour ro so.  After that, my wrists and lower back start protesting louder than the Yoshimura and LeoVince.

It wasn't just about the riding posture, either.  The ZX10R throttle was very abrupt - like it's either monster power ON or OFF.  This no-delay in-your-face throttle response is great for the track and for aggressive street riding, but it makes smooth riding on the street difficult at a mellower pace, especially when there is any amount of traffic.  Aprilia's torquey V-twin is quite a bit more manageable in that regard, which is why I still have it, while the Ninja has since been traded in  - first for a Sprint ST 1050 - then just yesterday for an '09 Connie.

My impression if the ZX14 and busa is that they are designed to bridge the gap between litre-class race replicas (CBR1000RR, ZX10R, R1, etc.) and hyper-Sport Tourers (K1300GT, Concours, VFR, FJR, etc.) in terms of all-out sportiness vs. riding comfort.  Not a bad proposition for those who want a bit of comfort to go with all-out speed, but don't need hard saddlebags.

I kept my ZX-12R when I bought the C-14. The C-14 scratches about 75% of the 12's itches and the 12 scratches about 25% of the 14's. If I could keep only one it would be the C-14.

My wish is that the C14 will eventually have a full-on ZX-14 or now a ZX-14R engine that has not had its nuts cut off.  I could live with a 10hp loss as a result of the shaft but other than that, it all needs to be there. 

The ZX-14R guys seem to be seeing 185-190 to the tire on average bone stock, however, I want to see more of them dyno'ed to be certain where the power levels are.  I would love to see the next C14 get the ZX-14R engine -and- then put down around 170-175 to the tire bone stock and then map the secondary flies so that you get full power in the mid-range and down low -and- no additional weight gains - please...

That, my friends, is the C14 that I want.... 

mmonroe said:
My wish is that the C14 will eventually have a full-on ZX-14 or now a ZX-14R engine that has not had its nuts cut off.  I could live with a 10hp loss as a result of the shaft but other than that, it all needs to be there. 

The ZX-14R guys seem to be seeing 185-190 to the tire on average bone stock, however, I want to see more of them dyno'ed to be certain where the power levels are.  I would love to see the next C14 get the ZX-14R engine -and- then put down around 170-175 to the tire bone stock and then map the secondary flies so that you get full power in the mid-range and down low -and- no additional weight gains - please...

That, my friends, is the C14 that I want....

Me Too!  O:)

The main reason I did not buy a C14 this year is because I want to see what, if any, changes will be made for 2013.

I don't  however expect you to ever get an unrestricted ZX14 engine. For one thing, it would require a beefier shaft drive, which would drive the price up, which KHI does not want to do.

Also, there is no way KHI is going let a C14 within 10% of a ZX14 in RWHP. They would be shooting themselves in the foot, and the head, all at once.

The 2012 ZX14R is selling on the new engine, and on mystique, and not much else. Its heavier than the pre-2012 ZX14s, and it is definitely more expensive. So to give up the mystique part of the equation by letting a C14 claim the same horsepower or even close, not going to happen.

EDIT: In Spring when I ride up to Guhl on my ZX14, he is going to dyno it several times in order to arrive at the optimal flash package. So I will have maximum rwhp on a chart which I will scan and post here, if I can figure out how to do it. I'm looking forward to getting rid of the power commander.

DinoDanny said:
I kept my ZX-12R when I bought the C-14. The C-14 scratches about 75% of the 12's itches and the 12 scratches about 25% of the 14's. If I could keep only one it would be the C-14.

I kept my 12R for a couple months after buying a ZX14 then it went bye bye, I thought the 14 was just so much more refined..Both were fast but the 12R just wasn't quite as smooth....Both had full systems (Brocks on the 14 and Akra on the 12R), BMC filters, and Power Commanders.No flies on the 14 which really woke it up I thought..

Now if I can just get a test ride on a C14...  :motonoises:

Hello NuckaMan.

Newbie and a tad bit late but I went from a 2007 ZX-14 to a 2009 C-14 when I snapped a connecting rod. Nothing like being stranded 5 hours from home. Basically the C-14 is a toned down ZX-14 with the comforts of home..almost. Handling and power delivery is great on the C-14 but the ZX-14 is superb in comparision. Now the C-14 will hold it's own with the right pilot so it's not a granny bike by any means..

Basically what everyone else has said (lol)

Thanks for all the replies back everyone.

I arranged a test-ride with a local dealer when I return from my current overseas buiz-trip. I also saw that the Kawi Demo Days truck will be holding two events in my area (southern California) in May, probably take advantage of those test rides also. I'm looking at a June time frame for a purchase anyway cause I cannot make any major purchases before I close escrow or the underwriters tend to freakout a bit and make the approval process that much harder.

Talking beyond straight-up power....handling is equally important to me. I really don't need to go buck-fifty on my road trips anymore, hell, I'm cool at a comfortable 70-80MPH to the next set of twists.

I remember reading somewhere that the Connie is kinda picky on tires, especially on the front end...if one is a serious performance rider.

What tires are you guys running for longevity and performance?

Tires...I role with Michelin Pilot Road II. Had this set for the last 7K miles. I love to hang out in the mountains and on back roads and these tires have never let me down. Waiting on my next set to come in. I hear the Pilot Road III's are even better...will try those out in the next 7K.

Ninjadad said:
Hello NuckaMan.

Newbie and a tad bit late but I went from a 2007 ZX-14 to a 2009 C-14 when I snapped a connecting rod. Nothing like being stranded 5 hours from home. Basically the C-14 is a toned down ZX-14 with the comforts of home..almost. Handling and power delivery is great on the C-14 but the ZX-14 is superb in comparision. Now the C-14 will hold it's own with the right pilot so it's not a granny bike by any means..

I've been on my ZX14 at COG events and the C14s can hang just fine. As long as I stay under 50% performance level.  :rotflmao:

Privateer said:
Ninjadad said:
Hello NuckaMan.

I've been on my ZX14 at COG events and the C14s can hang just fine. As long as I stay under 50% performance level.  :rotflmao:

See you had to go there :'( :rotflmao:

Regarding C14 owners wanting full power of 2012 ZX14R... does anybody really bounce their C14 engine off the rev-limiter on a consistent basis?  If you talk about full rated HP of the ZX14R, the very top of the RPM range is where that happens.  I would imagine for 99% of the C14 owners 99% of the time, tracktable power in low/mid RPM is how the engine is used.

"Detuned" does not always  = "neutered" power.  It just means reshaping of the torque curve to favor the intended usage.

As for the 1% that demand extreme top-end performance, may be 2012 ZX14R with aftermarket saddlebags would be the better choice.:)  you would want the rest of the bike to be optimized for that sort of duty.

Personally, I don't see a need for any more power than C14 currently has, as it is already a big bump from my last Sport Tourer - Sprint ST 1050, which I never found to be lacking in go juice.  Nevertheless, now that BMW has upped the ante with the 1600GT, Kawasaki will for sure massage the new 1441cc into the C14.  They could've done that for 2012, but no sense crowding the '12 ZX14R for the spotlight.

Ninjadad said:
Tim said:
Where does the Concours rank among current bikes in top speed and 1/4 mile. Where does it rank for shaft drives?

Found this link on the internet: http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/kawasaki/2006-kawasaki-concours-ar2070.html
Looks to have good information on your exact question.

2006 Concours/C10:  Quarter mile 11.6 / Top Speed 150mph

More info is listed for other models but being at work I need to sneak and read (LOL)
That's for the old model. IIRC, the 2010+ (which has a few more HP than the 08-09) has a 1/4 of about 10.25 or something like that (not sure who was riding it for that. Factory supplied?). Think I read that on a review somewhere. Top speed is electro limited to 155.

slidebite said:
Ninjadad said:
Tim said:
Where does the Concours rank among current bikes in top speed and 1/4 mile. Where does it rank for shaft drives?

Found this link on the internet: http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/kawasaki/2006-kawasaki-concours-ar2070.html

More info is listed for other models but being at work I need to sneak and read (LOL)
That's for the old model. IIRC, the 2010+ (which has a few more HP than the 08-09) has a 1/4 of about 10.25 or something like that (not sure who was riding it for that. Factory supplied?). Think I read that on a review somewhere. Top speed is electro limited to 155.

That's correct, that's why I put 2006 Concours/C10......is that not the old model?
If I was in error then I  :truce:  :beerchug:

slidebite said:
Ninjadad said:
Tim said:

Motorcycle Consumer News just did a comparo. The 2011 C14 has 1/4-mile numbers of 10.56 sec at 127.68 mph. They also had a measured top speed at 152.8 mph. 0-60 mph in 2.91 sec and 0-100 mph in 6.56 sec. Every one of those numbers was better than the 2011 BMW K1600GT.

(The major number comparison in my mind was an "as tested" price of $15,599 for the C14 and $24,540 for the BMW. $9k will buy a LOT of farkles!!)

I think the C-14 is a normal progression for anyone who still wants to fly, but needs a little more wind protection and relaxed ergos...
Here is my Y2K 'busa with my daughter who is now 16...

3e02ffe6-1.jpg

chipmaker said:
I think the C-14 is a normal progression for anyone who still wants to fly, but needs a little more wind protection and relaxed ergos...
Here is my Y2K 'busa with my daughter who is now 16...

3e02ffe6-1.jpg

The bike I sold last spring, I think I'm ready for the relaxed ergos..  :beerchug:

001.jpg

Nice Busa CM!  8)

Time does go fast indeed my friend, our 2 girls are now 16 & 17...  :eek:

ZG said:
Nice Busa CM!  8)

Time does go fast indeed my friend, our 2 girls are now 16 & 17...  :eek:

You are making me nostalgic. NOT. When my daughter was 16, my wife and I would look at each other and say, "who's child is that?!" because she was such a good teenager. Great grades. Worked part time and insisted on buying her own clothes - and never bought anything I wouldn't let her wear out.

On the other hand, my son......

But, they are grown now and have their own families, and have learned just how right mom and dad were.

Privateer said:
But, they are grown now and have their own families, and have learned just how right mom and dad were.
Yep... just as we learned in our turn.  My parents were IDIOTS before I had kids, but they grew a lot wiser as my kids grew up.  Love you, Mom and Dad.  I'm sorry I put you through all that...

Some of the sweetest moments in my life are when I sit down with my own adult kids and have this same conversation with them.
:-*

Yep, it's amazing how much smarter parents get as you get older!  :))

OK, now that the topic has gone a little off course. This is where someone is suppose to say, "Now back on topic"!    :96:

I actually can't wait for the longer ride COG events this coming season. As those who have seen my ZX14 know, it is fairly comfortable for a ZX14. And this season it will have electronic cruise control which will really help burning miles away on the way to Eureka Springs and Rhode Island, and when I go to Tail of the Dragon with my mc, and so forth.

I'd put the pegs down even lower, but I can easily drag the outside edge of the toes of my boots as it is. Hero bumps? What are those?

When I finally get a new bike, it won't be a ZX14, thats for sure. Not that I don't have tons of fun on mine, I'm just getting TFO it seems.

I love the fast bikes as well, but I use my c14 much, much more than anything else.  Its not as if the c14 is slow since it will get into felony level speeding within a few seconds.  I enjoy the bags and big windshield more than clip-ons.

rcannon409 said:
I love the fast bikes as well, but I use my c14 much, much more than anything else.  Its not as if the c14 is slow since it will get into felony level speeding within a few seconds.  I enjoy the bags and big windshield more than clip-ons.

Heh my ZX14 has handlebars, not clip-ons, and Givi side- and top-cases, but not enough windshield. Which is why I will eventually get a real sport touring bike.

Privateer, I remember seeing, and admiring your zx14.  The windshield was a huge deal, though?  Honestly, I would be very interested in the 2012 zx 14 if it offered a more relaxed riding position and better wind protection.  I can ignore this on a small machine, but a 600lb "sport tourer" needs to block the wind.

Actually, I have the windshield on my ZX14 pretty good. Started with a ZG ST shield, and added a Vario extension.

It kicks most of the air over the top of my helmet.

Ah well, its finally going to be traded in, getting a new Connie.