• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Are the Ohlins ZX14 forks a direct swap?

zg

And if so are all years the same?

I'm thinking about a full Ohlins setup (forks and shock) but I see that Ohlins doesn't offer complete forks for the Concours 14, only the springs. Ohlins does offer complete forks for the ZX14 though...  >:D

I just did a comparison of the 2009 C14 ABS and 2009 ZX14 front fork assembly on the Ron Ayers Microfiche. The parts are almost identical. There are one of two bolts or washers that may be slightly different. But it looks like they would swap over. Although I would look closer at the parts that are different before buying, just in case they may make a differance that could be crucial.

In 2007, I put a "new take off" set of 2007 ZX14 forks onto my C-10.  SInce then, I have compared them to the C-14 forks and VUSUALLY could discern no difference other than the anodizing (color).  I did NOT measure them for length or the steering stop tabs, but they APPEARED to be the same in a casual inspection.  There... that's worth about nothing I reckon. LOL

mcrider007 said:
If your C14 has ABS then you better own (or have access) to a drill press.

Yes, I have an 09 ABS. What would a drill press be needed for?  :017:

mcrider007 said:
ZG said:
mcrider007 said:
If your C14 has ABS then you better own (or have access) to a drill press.

Yes, I have an 09 ABS. What would a drill press be needed for?  :017:

Your ABS sensor doesn't work very well when its taped to the bottom of the forks.

Ah yes, good point!  :-[

This is exactly why I asked you wise folks...

now just cuz I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with tape don't mean ya gotta step him back here.  :)

Rev Ryder said:
In 2007, I put a "new take off" set of 2007 ZX14 forks onto my C-10.  SInce then, I have compared them to the C-14 forks and VUSUALLY could discern no difference other than the anodizing (color).  I did NOT measure them for length or the steering stop tabs, but they APPEARED to be the same in a casual inspection.  There... that's worth about nothing I reckon. LOL

I'd be curious to here more about this. Did you use the ZX14 triple clamps also? How was the ride? Got pics? Mark  ;)

I just got an encouraging pm from Loren... More to come on this hopefully...  :popcorncouple:

His pm... (I hope you're cool with this bro, I know this will wet the appetite of others too...  ;D)

"Hi Jay,

I have a pair of Ohlins ZX14 forks being fitted out with the C14 Ohlins springs.  I hope to have them sometime late next week, if the shop has no problems with the spring change.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a simple swap once the forks are

I already put an Ohlins on the rear, and liked the change, so the nexted step was the forks.

I will let you know how it works out.

Loren"

Sparkie said:
Rev Ryder said:

I'd be curious to here more about this. Did you use the ZX14 triple clamps also? How was the ride? Got pics? Mark  ;)
Yes I did use the ZX14 Triples but adapted the ZG stem to the lower and used regular ZG stem bearings.  THe steering stop had to be cut a great deal and the upper triple had to be trimmed some.  Then, in order to have a speedo, I had to do some creative work and use a ZZR1200 front wheel, rotors, and speedo drive that I cut way down to fit.  Then, since the rotors were 320mm instead of 310 like the ZX and C-14 have, I had to space the rotary calipers out 5mm.
Handling is very firm and solid sportbike-ish.  The much shorter forks created and tremendous change in rake and weight bias, however, the steering stem offset helped all of this have a much less dramatic affect on trail so tip in is a little firmer than stock, but low speed handling (with wider bars) is enhanced as well as high speed stability due to a slightly increased overall trail.  Brake dive is 1/20th of what it was and there is zero flex and no need for a fork brace at all.  Remarkably, when other Connie riders ride it, they comment on the well planted rear and wonder what I've done there.  But only a fluid change to 15weight back there has been done.  Here's a pic from ten minutes after the install on 2007 and before painting the rest of the bike or even finishing the fitting of all the plastic to cover the turbocharger.  A lot has changed since then, but not with the forks (except they have endured two crashes and some skinning).
2074091960080494746S600x600Q85.jpg

2784010340080494746S600x600Q85.jpg

And to further jack this thread, click the link in my sig line to see how they deal with being pile driven landing from altitude on the ol fat lady.

I don't know... A Traxxion AK-20 Cartridge kit seems a lot easier and probably provides the same performance increase. They made a night 'n day difference over the stock internals. I guess I'm getting a bit lazier nowadays...

The AK-20 cartridges and Penske shock made one hell of a difference...

ZX14 forks will mount right on NON ABS C14, how ever if you would like to put them on the 08 - 12 with ABS you will need to drill 12mm hole and the 2 mounting hols and tap them, also the mounting area is not flat and needs to be ground down or milled down so it's flat, the spacing from the sensor and the rotor is .028 to .035, we used a drill press and mill bit. one of us was holding the fork level  the other carefully move the fork to trim off the excess.

DSC_3849.jpg

DSC_3853.jpg

on the 2010 we had to drill 12 mm from the back side and on the front side 18mm 1/2 way in. also the mounting area is not flat and needs to be ground down or milled down so it's flat,also the hole is larger and only needs 1 mounting hole and turned as the mounting hole is out a little further way from the sensor.

DSC_3851.jpg

DSC_3852.jpg

dirt_biker said:
ZX14 forks will mount right on NON ABS C14, how ever if you would like to put them on the 08 or 09 you will need to drill 12mm hole and the 2 mounting hols and tap them, also the mounting area is not flat and needs to be ground down or milled down so it's flat, the spacing from the sensor and the rotor is .028 to .035, we used a drill press and mill bit. one of us was holding the fork level  the other carefully move the fork to trim off the excess.

Thanks for the pics and post DB, that is very helpfull! 

Yes, I have an 09 ABS, looking at the pics you posted that is also an 09 ABS right? So is that your bike? What year ZX14 Ohlins forks are those that you mounted? Or are the Ohlins ZX14 forks non-year specific?

Any issues with the ABS not working as designed since you've done this mod?

Thanks bro!  :beerchug:

Yes the 09 is mine Gold fork :) and 10 is my Friend's bike Silver forks, and the ZX14 forks are OEM. NOT Ohlins, we picked them up off E-Bay,  they made a big improvement ( very adjustable ) 8) better all the way round.

dirt_biker said:
Yes the 09 is mine Gold fork :) and 10 is my Friend's bike Silver forks, and the ZX14 forks are OEM. NOT Ohlins, we picked them up off E-Bay,  they made a big improvement ( very adjustable ) 8) better all the way round.

Got it, thanks DB.

So did you use the Connie triple clamps? Did the ZX14 forks stick up out of the upper tripple clamp further than the oem Connie forks?

Nicely done Dirt Biker.  How were the spring rates on the ZX forks?  DId you need to change them?

We used the C14 triple clamps and added 7mm spacer rings to the top of the springs to keep the ride height the same as the c14 and still have the top  adjusters in the stock setting. as for the springs the zx14 springs are .90 and c14 are 1.2, the ride is more supple and ride can be tuned for stiffer compression and rebound  :beerchug: ;)

Nice project Dirtbiker!  A question on the machining needed for the abs sensor.  That machining needed is way out of my garage-level abilities. Do you think it would be a big deal for a machine shop to deal with?  Assuming  a person coudl get this done locally, the project would nto even cost that much.

We did it in the garage with a drill press, if you take it to a shop to have it done take the old forks so they can compare so they get it right >:D

Install was easy breazy.  The fork is already prepped for the ABS sensor direct from Ohlins, although mine is a non-ABS model.  Many thanks to Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing www.kyleusa.com for being so willing to make the spring swap work.

IMG_0587.jpg

crazy1.gif
crazy1.gif
crazy1.gif
crazy1.gif
crazy1.gif
crazy1.gif
crazy1.gif

OMG Loren man that is sweet! I must have now!!!

So did you do the Ohlins C14 spring kit?

I've been talking to Gary Christopher at Ohlins over the past couple weeks, Ohlins is coming out with a full cartridge kit for the C14 in the next month or so for $599...
wait.gif
metal.gif

I've been talking to him about putting this cartridge kit in the ZX14 Ohlins forks, we were just waiting until your install regarding the ABS sensor mount...
wait.gif

So what I'm hearing from you then is the Ohlins ZX14 forks come standard with the ABS mount right??

Can you please post up some more pics how those gorgeous gold Ohlins forks look on your Connie bro...  :)

Oh, and by the way, nice TB fork sliders bro, I have em too...  8)

These are the forks used.  http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Products/Touring/FGRT-807/

They came with the ABS sensor mount machining already done.  I did not request it, since my bike does not have ABS.  They have been fitted with the Ohlins C14 springs.  http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/Motorcycle/Products/Sport/08769-13/

ZG said:
I've been talking to Gary Christopher at Ohlins over the past couple weeks, Ohlins is coming out with a full cartridge kit for the C14 in the next month or so for $599...
I've been talking to him about putting this cartridge kit in the ZX14 Ohlins forks...

Why would they be fitting out the Ohlins ZX14 forks with a Ohlins C14 cartridge kit?  I believe their C14 cartridge kit would be to retrofit OEM C14 forks.  Is that not correct?

Loren said:
Why would they be fitting out the Ohlins ZX14 forks with a Ohlins C14 cartridge kit?  I believe their C14 cartridge kit would be to retrofit OEM C14 forks.  Is that not correct?

Sorry, maybe I'm misspeaking or just flat out confused, I'm not a wrencher by any means...
hiding.gif

So I should just have them put the Ohlins C14 spring kit in the ZX14 Ohlins forks??
smiley_dunno.gif

I would tell them that you have a confirmation that the FGRT 807 (ZX14) forks fit the C14 and can they change the springs out to handle the the extra weight of the C14?  Or call Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing. 

The FGRT 807 forks are about 3/8" longer from the top cap to the axle hole than the oem forks.  I just raised the forks in the fork clamps by that amount. 

Loren said:
Jay, here is your eye candy... >:D 

:You_Rock_Emoticon: :sign0098: :hitit: :bravo_2: :1rij: :great: :dance: :cheer: :13: :72: :88: :08: :86: :c029: :clap: :49: :singing: :allhail: :allhail: :allhail: :allhail: :allhail: :allhail: :allhail:

JR said:
Loren, what handlebar conversion kit is that? It looks like a nice unit.

Those are the Heli ST bars.  I like them!!  At first I felt like the bike looked like it had ape hangers on it, but they look perfectly normal now to me.

Loren, those forks are beautiful.  The look sure sets-off the bike.  As far as performance, is the cost justified?  Did you do much to the stock forks before replacing them?

rcannon409 said:
Loren, those forks are beautiful.  The look sure sets-off the bike.  As far as performance, is the cost justified?  Did you do much to the stock forks before replacing them?

Thanks!  All I had done to the oem forks was adjust preload and compression damping to suit me.  I think the bike as OEM felt pretty good, even riding two up.  It is an awesome machine in OEM form on good smooth pavement.  I just made it better.

How many times have you been sweeping through a curve at a sane pace yet hit a bunch of bad pavement that then upsets the bike and gives you an  :-\  moment?  For me the cost is justified.  For someone else it may not be. 

I went on a short shakedown ride Sunday after getting the bike all back together and it feels really good, although the roads near by all have good pavement.  I expect to see the Ohlins shine when the roads are not as good. 

I'm still WAY below the cost of a BWM K1600GTL or even a new 2012 C14. 

Great point about the cost.  A  grand put into a current bike ends up being nothing in the long run, if it keeps  a person happy with what they currently have.  Plus, it might take 15 minutes to resell the forks should you ever decide to. 

I've owned several high-end shocks, and sold them as well.  I've been able to break even on most of them and the only out of pocket cost was shipping.

I have no will power, I ordered up the Ohlins rear shock 2 days ago, and finally caved and pulled the trigger on the full ZX14 Ohlins forks with the Ohlins Concours 14 spring kit inside em today...  ;D

I just couldn't stop thinking about it over the past couple days...
swiqe.gif

Thanks Loren for being a bad influence bro...  :sign0081:

ZG said:
I have no will power, I ordered up the Ohlins rear shock 2 days ago, and finally caved and pulled the trigger on the full ZX14 Ohlins forks with the Ohlins Concours 14 spring kit inside em today...  ;D

I just couldn't stop thinking about it over the past couple days...
swiqe.gif

Thanks Loren for being a bad influence bro...  :sign0081:
please post pics and full report after you have them in and went for a ride  :beerchug:

anthony - Sacramento said:
please post pics and full report after you have them in and went for a ride  :beerchug:

Well I'll try, but I'm not real big on posting pics...  ;)

Mad River Marc said:
If you don't mind my asking, what did they whack you for the forks with the C-14 springs??

I bought them from Dan Kyle (same place I got the Ohlins rear shock), he charged me $2050, which includes the Connie Ohlins springs swap and shipping to me.  :)

So total cost for the full Ohlins forks and Ohlins rear shock was just under $3100...

ZG said:
Mad River Marc said:
If you don't mind my asking, what did they whack you for the forks with the C-14 springs??

I bought them from Dan Kyle (same place I got the Ohlins rear shock), he charged me $2050, which includes the Connie Ohlins springs swap and shipping to me.  :)

So total cost for the full Ohlins forks and Ohlins rear shock was just under $3100...
  $3000 and you got a total new riding bike  :beerchug: 

Cap'n Bob said:
Add another $7,000 to that and you probably could have a left over brand new whole C14.  :))

But then you'd still have to do this to the new left-over model Cap'n...  ;)

Oh and yes by the way $10k is what I paid for my new leftover model 09 ABS at the end of 2010, and by now adding these Ohlins I have now spent more on farkles for her then I paid for the bike itself...  :truce:

Moral of the story is buy a new leftover model, it leaves you extra $ to make her your own.  :)

You could do worse on Farkles than premium suspension.  I kept the Penske shock on my sv650 for years.  When I sold it, the retail price had doubled.  I ended up selling ti for 50.00 less than I paid originally.

Mine are due soon from Kyle Racing. Coming from Sand City CA, right outside the gate of Ft. Ord, CA which was my last duty station.

Price went up about $100 since ZG got his. I got the very last ones in the USA other than used on eBay possibly. Dan Kyle is having Ohlins drop ship the shock.

I have lusted after these since I had my ZX14 and the FGRT came out for the ZX14. Turns out they fit the C14 just fine.

You guys who have installed the forks, do I have to fab fender brackets or anything ?

JR said:
Mine are due soon from Kyle Racing. Coming from Sand City CA, right outside the gate of Ft. Ord, CA which was my last duty station.

Price went up about $100 since ZG got his. I got the very last ones in the USA other than used on eBay possibly. Dan Kyle is having Ohlins drop ship the shock.

I have lusted after these since I had my ZX14 and the FGRT came out for the ZX14. Turns out they fit the C14 just fine.

You guys who have installed the forks, do I have to fab fender brackets or anything ?

:eek:

So much for being homeless eh JR?  ::)

ZG said:

Well, you could have answered my question here as well as you did in PM.  ;)

And yes, I was a so close to being homeless VA was ready to scoop me up and put me in a Vet house for a while. But then at the last minute, I got a huge windfall, and everything turned out alright.

Steamer said:
ZG, your are gonna run out of things to farkle and a de-farkles man is not a pretty sight!

Naw, ZG will never run out of new farkles to put on, or new paint ideas. I remember (you can find it in this topic in early pages) when he was astounded at Loren's Ohlins FGRT forks, and said he wasn't much for posting pictures.

Things change, we now get lots of pictures, and I have faith ZG will continue to astound us with new farkles etc.

John you will really like the new ride the bike will have with the Ohlins!!!  :motonoises:  The bike rides so NICE with them.

Oh and no  special fab work needed.  A direct bolt on replacement for the oem forks.  I did raise them up in the triple clamps about 10mm, because they measured that much longer than the OEM forks.

JR said:
ZG said:

Well, you could have answered my question here as well as you did in PM.  ;)

And yes, I was a so close to being homeless VA was ready to scoop me up and put me in a Vet house for a while. But then at the last minute, I got a huge windfall, and everything turned out alright.

I'm glad everything worked out for you John. I (like many others) was concerned a short time back when you started that other thread. Hopefully you'll have no worries now. But I have to admit that at a first glance reading; I can see how one may be concerned for you considering recent events, that you would spend what might be considered frivolously on something the C14 doesn't really need. This being in such instance when funds could be held in reserve. My point here is not to make accusations or point fingers in anyway. Only pointing out what it might have looked like to others. So I can see how you might get a comment or two of concern. I'm sure that you wouldn't waste your reserves in that case. So instead I figure that you must have made out well and I am happy for you. So if the funds are there and you can afford it. I can't think of a better farkle that Ohlins. Again, I'm glad things did work out.

Loren said:
John you will really like the new ride the bike will have with the Ohlins!!!  :motonoises:  The bike rides so NICE with them.

Oh and no  special fab work needed.  A direct bolt on replacement for the oem forks.  I did raise them up in the triple clamps about 10mm, because they measured that much longer than the OEM forks.

Thanks, Loren. I did see where you or someone else posted a while back they were about 3/8" longer, and I already have my bike
lowered so I'll let them stick out about 1".

I guess when I had Galfer send me a ABS front stainless steel braided hose kit with gold sheathing and black hardware it was prophetic.

ZG is rubbing off on me. Except I didn't match the colors on purpose.  :rotflmao:

LakeTrax said:
Enjoy the new suspenders JR! :great: :beerchug:

Thanks, LT. Will wait for PR4s to be readily available, and do it all at one time.

Kyle set them up for rider at 210 without gear. I will get to that before riding season, but I think with my camping trailer it won't get too stiff on me when I go below it by 40 more pounds.

I need to do this on my zx14 non abs fork so I can use on my 08 abs Concours. I can see the first step is the 12 mm hole drilled from the rear. How did you no how much to mill of the front to get the gap to rotor correct?

Thanks

dirt_biker said:
ZX14 forks will mount right on NON ABS C14, how ever if you would like to put them on the 08 - 12 with ABS you will need to drill 12mm hole and the 2 mounting hols and tap them, also the mounting area is not flat and needs to be ground down or milled down so it's flat, the spacing from the sensor and the rotor is .028 to .035, we used a drill press and mill bit. one of us was holding the fork level  the other carefully move the fork to trim off the excess.

DSC_3849.jpg

DSC_3853.jpg