• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

As Close to Plug n Play As You'll Get for a 17" Wheel

JDM77

Street Cruiser
This is as close to plug and play as you will get to installing a 17" rear wheel.

1- you will need a Mean Streak wheel from a Vulcan 1500 or 1600
2- you will need a front rotor from a Vulcan Nomad year 99/04
3- you will need a longer axle spacer Moma Kaw pn 92027-1752 shortened to 28.5 mm.

Photo 1- shows the existing rear wheel before the modifications.
Photo 2- shows the existing caliper bracket.
Photo 3- shows the existing bracket after it is modified.
Photo 4- shows the new rear wheel bolted in place with the brake assembly reinstalled, and ready to ride.

If you look close at photo no. 2, you will see the caliper bracket is wider at the bottom than it is at the top. You will need to grind off the inside bottom face as shown approximately 8 mm +/_ .
You will need to shorten the axle spacer to 28.5 mm +/_.               
You will need to reassemble the rear wheel on the punkin. Loosen the front bolt that holds the brake compression rod, lift it up out of the way, and reinstall the spacer and brake caliper plate along with the spindle bolt "axle". After you have the wheel on and snugged up, reinstall the brakes and compression arm, recheck that you have every thing tight, and the wheel turns freely and the brakes work.
HTH,
​JD​

Attachments

• Photo_1.jpg
    Photo_1.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 291
  • Photo_2.jpg
    Photo_2.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 303
  • Photo_3.jpg
    Photo_3.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 303
  • Photo_4.jpg
    Photo_4.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 310
I've already got my MS wheel machined and mounted.  But this would have been easier, and probably cheaper than getting the wheel machined.  What bike is the spacer from?

The wheel is machined .300 inches, which is 7.62mm.  So 8mm is close enough.

I am concerned that hand grinding the caliper bracket would make it out of square. I would have it machined.

There's no reason hand work can't be as precise as a machine, for something as simple as this. Just take your time and check your work often.

WillyP said:
There's no reason hand work can't be as precise as a machine, for something as simple as this. Just take your time and check your work often.

+1    Remember...hands built the machines that built the machines that built the machines......

I'm curious how much clearance between the brake caliper and rt side case there is now?  If I understand correctly with this mod the brake caliper is shifting to the right a little.  Mark

JDM said:
Photo 4- shows the new rear wheel bolted in place with the brake assembly reinstalled, and ready to ride.

If you look close at photo no. 2, you will see the caliper bracket is wider at the bottom than it is at the top. You will need to grind off the inside bottom face as shown approximately 8 mm +/_ .

JD,
In Photo 4, it looks like the OUTSIDE of the caliper bracket (the face which contacts the swing arm) has been shaved which is what I would expect, in order to move the caliper 8 mm outboard. Seems at odds with photo 3.
Comment?
Thanks

tonyb said:
JDM said:

JD,
In Photo 4, it looks like the OUTSIDE of the caliper bracket (the face which contacts the swing arm) has been shaved which is what I would expect, in order to move the caliper 8 mm outboard. Seems at odds with photo 3.
Comment?
Thanks

You only need to shave the inside face of the caliper bracket by 8+ mm. The Vulcan Nomad rotor is thinner than the existing ZG1000 rotor. If you will follow the procedure that is outlined in the original post, you will find that everything fits like a glove making this a very easy modification. Here are two more photos  that will give you an indication on what you are dealing with. HTH, JD

Attachments

• Brake_strut.jpg
    Brake_strut.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 239
  • Clearance.jpg
    Clearance.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 236
Sparkie said:
I'm curious how much clearance between the brake caliper and rt side case there is now?  If I understand correctly with this mod the brake caliper is shifting to the right a little.  Mark

See my response and photos to tonyb. Please forgive me for all the dirt you see on all the photos as I live on a dirt road and it has been dry around here. JD

JDM said:
This is as close to plug and play as you will get to installing a 17" rear wheel.

1- you will need a Mean Streak wheel from a Vulcan 1500 or 1600
2- you will need a front rotor from a Vulcan Nomad year 99/04
3- you will need a longer axle spacer Moma Kaw pn 92027-1752 shortened to 28.5 mm.

Photo 1- shows the existing rear wheel before the modifications.
Photo 2- shows the existing caliper bracket.

You will need to shorten the axle spacer to 28.5 mm +/_.               
You will need to reassemble the rear wheel on the punkin. Loosen the front bolt that holds the brake compression rod, lift it up out of the way, and reinstall the spacer and brake caliper plate along with the spindle bolt "axle". After you have the wheel on and snugged up, reinstall the brakes and compression arm, recheck that you have every thing tight, and the wheel turns freely and the brakes work.
HTH,
​JD​

I looks like you ground the inside and outside bottom face of the caliper bracket.

Bradley said:
I've already got my MS wheel machined and mounted.  But this would have been easier, and probably cheaper than getting the wheel machined.  What bike is the spacer from?

The wheel is machined .300 inches, which is 7.62mm.  So 8mm is close enough.

Would you happen to have a source for the machine shop that did your wheel ?

Does anyone know what the equivalent bike in Europe is to the Vulcan Nomad, as I can’t find any brakes with a reference to this bike in any of the European forums or suppliers!  However, there is a VN1500 drifter with many different model numbers, but I can’t find which one is the same as the Nomad.
Or, can someone tell me the specifications for the front disc/rotor for the Vulcan Nomad year 99/04 is? This way I might be able to match something from one of the no-name suppliers.
Thanks.

K_C_M said:
Does anyone know what the equivalent bike in Europe is to the Vulcan Nomad, as I can’t find any brakes with a reference to this bike in any of the European forums or suppliers!  However, there is a VN1500 drifter with many different model numbers, but I can’t find which one is the same as the Nomad.
Or, can someone tell me the specifications for the front disc/rotor for the Vulcan Nomad year 99/04 is? This way I might be able to match something from one of the no-name suppliers.
Thanks.
The Suzuki Marauder 1600 VZ1600 is the exact same as the Mean Streak bike built by Kawasaki for Suzuki.  Good luck.