• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ATGATT works for Wisconsin bikers vs Dog

ManWorkingHere

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/videos-show-wisconsin-motorcyclists-hitting-dog-just-missing-semi-b99710376z1-376365561.html

Wisconsin News
Videos show Wisconsin motorcyclists hitting dog, just escaping semi

A harrowing moment for a group of Appleton-area motorcyclists was caught on video, showing one biker hitting a dog and then setting off a chain-reaction crash that nearly involved another biker getting hit by an oncoming semi.

The group was riding on Highway 21 just west of Omro on Saturday afternoon, the Waushara County Sheriff's Office said, when the dog darted into the road.

One of the bikers hit the dog and landed on the pavement, and the rider behind him crashed, too, as seen on two videos posted to YouTube taken from the riders' helmet-mounted cameras.

Warning: The language on the following video contains the kind of profanity you might expect from a group of people who just saw their lives flash in front of their eyes.
https://youtu.be/12Kyd2htJLc]
[url]https://youtu.be/12Kyd2htJLc
[/url]

As the second rider skids forward on the road, the semi quickly approaches in the oncoming lane. That motorcyclist then appears to leap to his feet and jump out of the way of the semi.

The rider who hit the dog can be seen and heard in one of the videos lying on the road in pain, but a rider who identified himself as "the rider that hit the dog" commented on the YouTube video on Monday to say he was OK. As for the dog, the YouTube user R6down Ullrich said he's "sure it was dead on impact."

The YouTube video also drew a comment from Pam Swendrzynski, who said she was the driver of the truck that narrowly avoided hitting Meyer.

"I had the best seat in the house and there was no way you (two) could have played that better," she said. "Hope you guys heal up good."
https://youtu.be/tPRh_IX8zuY]
[url]https://youtu.be/tPRh_IX8zuY
[/url]

The crash even amazed law enforcement officers.

"We saw the videos in the office here, and that was amazing no body was killed," Waushara County Sheriff Jeffrey Nett told the Journal Sentinel.

At least one of the victims was taken to a hospital by ambulance, but Nett was unable Wednesday afternoon to provide detailed information about the crash, saying the responding deputy still needed to file a crash report.

Two of the Wisconsin bikers were interviewed by a TV journalist in Tennessee, Chris Best, who is an avid motorcyclist and goes by the nickname Biker Dad online.

"Physically, I'm doing pretty good," Travis Meyer, the one who dodged the semi after crashing behind his riding companion, told Best in the interview posted on Facebook.

"This is the worst of my accident pretty much," Meyer said, holding up his hand to show some road rash. "Mentally, I'm a little shaken up, but we're getting through it. It's a little overwhelming with all the chaos of how viral it's going."

One of the videos has been viewed more than 1 million times on YouTube.

Best's interview with the two riders has been viewed more than 11,000 times on Facebook. You can view it here:
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xft1/v/t42.1790-29/13070261_1045138472220593_1849863577_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6NDA5NiwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJ2M182NDBfY3JmXzIzX21haW5fMy4wX3NkIn0%3D&rl=1500&vabr=969&oh=ff401251603ab5115e93a3e253874118&oe=57191E44

"We both told each other, we were like we need to be 100% geared up if we're going to be on the highway or doing any sort of riding, we want to make sure we've got a helmet on," Danny Seubert, the other rider, told Best.

Meyer also described the crash in his own post on Facebook, saying "everything slowed down" when the rider in front of him hit the dog.

"I went left and when I hit the ground I saw the truck," Meyer said. "I felt like I had all the time I needed to position myself. When I watch the video I can't believe how fast it happened... I felt as if I was sliding toward the semi for minutes."

The video he posted on Facebook has been viewed more than 76,000 times and shared more than 700 times.

And Meyer has a message for other motorcyclists: "Wear your gear!!"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=808951302542940&set=a.143606819077395.24396.100002842332180&type=3

That is...insane! The second rider is so lucky.

+1 for wearing gear

Wolf packs are bad news. Had they been riding with proper following distance, rider #2 would've had time to react properly and avoid, rather than lock the front.

I wonder if someone more experienced would've been able to brake and keep the bike up? It's not like the first bike is going to just instantly stop, it's going to slide a bit, giving rider #2 some time to brake and maneuver. Of course, this is all armchair, more of just thinking about the timing of events.

I had the same thought when I watched the video, JimBob.  The first guy was just unlucky; sh*t happens.  The second guy should not have had to go down.  From my armchair, I'm thinking more attentiveness, proper following distance, and better braking technique would have kept him upright.

I also tend to agree that the second rider should not have crashed. It appears to me that he locked up his front brake and also "target fixated" on the rider immediately in front of him.  I must say though that it's waaaaay to easy to sit here in front of my computer and second guess another's actions/reactions.

Truly glad they are mostly physically okay.

Worked for me. Although I broke my collarbone,scapula, and 4 ribs in my accident March 14th, I had zero road rash.  Gear? Full face helmet. Joe Rocket armoured jacket, gloves with extra palm and knuckle protection, jeans, mid calf boots. Will be investing in some riding pants that offer some sliding protection. Young men bounce, old guys break.

ATGATT... I know it's been posted here, but it's worth bringing back up.

80mph with cruise control set, hit a gator and flipped down I40. Walked away without a scratch... Roadcrafter completely worth it.

Attachments

• s33a7c.jpg
    s33a7c.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 15xlbx0.jpg
    15xlbx0.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 133
Is that the gater you hit or was it a live one?  If the tire, did it get caught up in the front to cause the flip or what?
Sorry man, glad you had good gear for sure.

smithr1 said:
Is that the gater you hit or was it a live one?  If the tire, did it get caught up in the front to cause the flip or what?
Sorry man, glad you had good gear for sure.

Truck to the right of me hit it, knocked it right in front of me. I was 10hrs into a 12 hr trip and probably didn't react as fast as I could have...not that it would have made a difference. I'll never know. 

As best I could tell, it slapped around front tire enough to catch the right side brake/gsxr brake bracket.  I rode a tank slapper so long I started to think I was going to save it...then it just lurched sideways and threw me. Superman'd face first. Was doing 75-80 when I hit the tire, slightly less than that when I hit the interstate.