• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

AV46 tire plugged, but still leaking

lanlinc

Moped
    I know this has been beat to death, but before I go and shell out bit $$ for a new back tire I just wanted to ask one more time what everyone would do.  I replaced my tire back in November and I noticed a month ago (lucky at work and while it was still) a nail in the tire.  It's not on the sidewall and not inside one of the places where rain runs out of the tire (the groove).  It's on the thick of the tire just off set from the center, maybe an inch 1/2 from center.  So I've been doing alot of research on this and was wondering if anyone has ever had their tubless tire repaired from the inside and did it hold?  I don't want to bet my life on a repair, but would sure love to save some money by just fixing it if it's safe.  By the way as the subject states I did plug it, but it's still slowly leaking out (I put some dishwashing liquid on it and it's bubbling up).  I want to re do it with a repair from the inside, but will it be safe enough to ride?  I only ride this thing back and forth to work (about 35miles each way).

Thanks for any feedback. 

I know a very frugal person that goes through lots of tires each year. He used to get pull offs in his size from a dealer's scrap tire pile that had lots of tread, but had a puncture.  He would repair them with a patch from the inside and all have given him good life. 

In general a tire repaired from the inside with a patch will hold up better than a plug. I wonder if using a combination of string plug and a patch is possible.

I've got two maintenance guys who have been riding for many many years and different stories from each.  One apparently is very frugal because he's saying try to replug it and if it holds, just ride the crap out of it.  The other says it's just not worth the risk and just get a new tire.  I will be riding this baby throughout the winter so I may just go with the new tire route, but it bothers me that it's just sitting there right now waiting to be ridden.  :'(

consider the idea of putting a tube inside it.  I had a shop do that once to get me back out on the road because they didn't have a tire for me to replace.  The tube worked well for thousands of miles.

When I was stationed in Europe I found out "plugs" are illegal, due to the speeds (heat, etc) on the autobahns/autostrada's.  Of course, if you have an accident, cause one, or are o/w stopped and the plug is found, you're up a creek.  And when there is an accident they look over the entire vehicle w/a fine tooth comb... any issues and guilt starts pointing towards you.

However, a patch on the inside, over the plug, is the legal way to go.  They used "hot patches", but a simple tube type patch glued on well will work.

Call me frugal, but if it's got tread left, I plug (and if need be, patch).
Mark

That's what the one maintenance guy said.  Plug it and let it sit over night, if it holds, do a test drive and just keep an eye on it. 

As far as the hot plug or inside patch, where can I get either of these?  Thanks

Not sure on the hotplug (they were common at tire places in Europe, but than again, so were motorcycle tires!).  Patch wise, look in the bicycle department for a patch kit.  Hopefully it has one about 2x2 inches in size that you can use.  Follow the kit directions, because it wants you to rough up the tire before putting on the adhesive (which is often nothing but rubber cement), and that you put adhesive on the tire and the patch (and typically let both dry) before adhering. 

Otherwise, if you swing by a motorcycle shop they might have "tube type" (not tubeless type) patch kits. I've made patches from a bicycle tube before, FWIW

Mark

I've patched tires from the inside. You have to use a "radial" patch. Make sure the area is really "scratched" up and glue both the patch and the area. Do not set the patch until the glue is tacky, then set the patch apply pressure to the patch for a couple minutes, A small wallpaper roller works great. Then remount and test in a a water bath.

2linby said:
I've patched tires from the inside. You have to use a "radial" patch. Make sure the area is really "scratched" up and glue both the patch and the area. Do not set the patch until the glue is tacky, then set the patch apply pressure to the patch for a couple minutes, A small wallpaper roller works great. Then remount and test in a a water bath.

You know where I can get one?

Of course in the end your decision, I had just installed a GT pilot rear and not more then 300 miles  i ran over a big screw, bought a tire repair kit from Advance and plugged it from the outside, ran another 13K miles without a problem, I actually could not find were I patched it after a few like 2K miles. Anyway I would patch and ride.

http://www.wdshopsupply.com/patches.htm

WW3 is what I have on hand, haven't used it yet though but they do work well with auto tires.  I will never patch a front for long term.  Unfortunately these have to be bought in packs of 25..

Thanks Yaw.  Anyone ever do a replug through the same hole?  Since mine didn't work the first time, any advice on how to get the old plug out without pushing it back into the tire? 

Since your going to put a patch on it, you'll be on the inside, so might that be a good time to push it through?  And good luck, as you might be pushing and have the tool go alongside it.

BTW, I have a "PlugnGo" patch kit.  Their plugs look like a mushroom.  You push it in, then pull it to seat the mushroom, and slice off the rest.  They work great.  The mushroom acts like a patch from the inside, while the stem is a plug in the hole.

Mark

I think I'm going to attempt another re-plug and see if it holds.  Maybe ride it short slow distances to see how things feel.  Not sure when, maybe this week but I'll keep everyone posted.  Thanks for everyone's input...I'm such a noob  ;D

Please keep one thing in mind... worse case scenario I have experienced a plug popping out.  It causes a quick air loss.  Not something you want at 60mph, nor to be stranded somewhere without a plug or air source.

Mark

If it were mine, I would take the tire off, cut the plug off on the inside flush with the tire.  Leave the rest of the plug in the tire, it is probably cemented to the tire by nowl.  I would then get a tire patch from any automotive or farm supply store.  Clean the area with denatured alcohol or something  like that. Scuff up the area with a wire brush or the scuffing tool they give you with the patch kit.  Liberally apply the tire cement beyond the area the patch will cover , light it with a match for a few seconds then blow it out.  This makes it tacky.  Peel off backside of patch and apply.  Put tire on and air up.  You might be able to do this without taking the tire completely off, just pull one side over the rim. 

Alternatively it "may" be possible  to put more plugs in.  I have done this on truck tires that have had sharp rocks stuck through the tire.  I had a 1" gash that I had aabout 4 plugs in.  It held for a while then started leaking there again.  I'm not sure I would do a large gash like that on a bike tire.  No crash protection or air bags if it failed.  If you do try to put more then one plug and it deflates while riding , the ass end with get very squirrely and soft feeling.  thats when you want to pull over quickly.

My 1000 mile Azaro rear had a screw in it. A mechanic friend of mine had a vulcanizing tire plug kit. The plug is black and you add a liquid vulcanizing to the plug. He said if it didn't leak after a few minutes it would hold. These are used at race tracks (cars) and by Police Depts. I used the tire for the rest of the season without any leakage. Napa Auto Parts has the kit for $90 (a little pricey). If you go with a patch I would look for one that has that vulcanizing liquid. For a nail type puncture I would trust the vulcanizing type plug again to get back on the road fast for the rest of the season.

I like this idea.  I think I might try it.  I was also thinking about putting another plug in it and doing the patch as you stated.  What do ya think?  At least this way you get two types of protection? 

ZGR1000 said:
If it were mine, I would take the tire off, cut the plug off on the inside flush with the tire.  Leave the rest of the plug in the tire, it is probably cemented to the tire by nowl.  I would then get a tire patch from any automotive or farm supply store.  Clean the area with denatured alcohol or something  like that. Scuff up the area with a wire brush or the scuffing tool they give you with the patch kit.  Liberally apply the tire cement beyond the area the patch will cover , light it with a match for a few seconds then blow it out.  This makes it tacky.  Peel off backside of patch and apply.  Put tire on and air up.  You might be able to do this without taking the tire completely off, just pull one side over the rim. 

Alternatively it "may" be possible  to put more plugs in.  I have done this on truck tires that have had sharp rocks stuck through the tire.  I had a 1" gash that I had aabout 4 plugs in.  It held for a while then started leaking there again.  I'm not sure I would do a large gash like that on a bike tire.  No crash protection or air bags if it failed.  If you do try to put more then one plug and it deflates while riding , the ass end with get very squirrely and soft feeling.  thats when you want to pull over quickly.

Well, I'd put some UltraSeal in it and ride it for a bit, then I'd get a new tire.  Only reason I say that, I did have a rear tire (patched on the inside) that left me going all over the road.
I now run UltraSeal in my tires, thus I have no flats.  http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2189387920053698080eqMvwa

Good Heavens...  Do it right, and have a professional patch it from the inside.  He will dismount the tire, grind off what can be seen of the plug, and apply a permanent patch to the inside.  Some techs will even permanently stick another patch at 180 degrees to the repair to help with balance of the tire.  I've plugged a lot of tires myself, and have always taken them in for a more permanent repair.  My collection is pretty impressive... small, almost invisible pieces of wire to very large rods... An ex-manager of mine pulled out a steel rod about 1/2 inch in diameter and 6 inches long... looked like a cut-off of re-bar, how it got on the road, and into his tire is anyone's guess.  (by the way, there was NO WAY that tire was going to be repaired.)

duffy said:
Good Heavens...  Do it right, and have a professional patch it from the inside.  He will dismount the tire, grind off what can be seen of the plug, and apply a permanent patch to the inside.  Some techs will even permanently stick another patch at 180 degrees to the repair to help with balance of the tire.  I've plugged a lot of tires myself, and have always taken them in for a more permanent repair.  My collection is pretty impressive... small, almost invisible pieces of wire to very large rods... An ex-manager of mine pulled out a steel rod about 1/2 inch in diameter and 6 inches long... looked like a cut-off of re-bar, how it got on the road, and into his tire is anyone's guess.  (by the way, there was NO WAY that tire was going to be repaired.)

No body that I've talked to so far will do this because of insurance risks.  I'd love to get it done professionally, but where do I go?

try a small, old mom and pop shop.  Typically have the best mechanic, he typically does all the work, and his knowledge base is expanse.  He isn't into bike sales, or ATV and jet ski's (where all the big dealerships make money), but just fixes motorcycles.  He probably charges $20 to mount and balance your tire...  there was on in N. TX who, when you found the shop, thought it was a condemned building. 

That said, all those big dealerships you take your bike to for oil and tire changes?  It's the high school kid on minimum wage doing the the work.  Increases their profit margin since the master mechanic(s) aren't being paid for such menial tasks.  And do you think that kid is aware of the second oil plug, or to not over tighten the drain plugs? >:D

Mark

Red Wyvern said:
try a small, old mom and pop shop.  Typically have the best mechanic, he typically does all the work, and his knowledge base is expanse.  He isn't into bike sales, or ATV and jet ski's (where all the big dealerships make money), but just fixes motorcycles.  He probably charges $20 to mount and balance your tire...  there was on in N. TX who, when you found the shop, thought it was a condemned building. 

That said, all those big dealerships you take your bike to for oil and tire changes?  It's the high school kid on minimum wage doing the the work.  Increases their profit margin since the master mechanic(s) aren't being paid for such menial tasks.  And do you think that kid is aware of the second oil plug, or to not over tighten the drain plugs? >:D

Mark

Thanks for the advice, but I've called around everywhere and basically no one wants to take a risk of it blowing on me after it's done.  Too much of an insurance risk.  I'm going to just swing for a new tire (2 actually my front needs done as well) so I'll start looking for the cheapest and just change them out myself.  Thanks everyone for all your input and advice!  Ride Safe..