• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Avon Spirit ST front & rear wear

marinick14716

I rode a 2002 C10 for 9 years and 98,000 miles before I got this 2009 C14 back in July, 2021. On my C10 for several years I used matching Avons, first the Storm 3D-XM, then the replacement Spirit STs. I used to get 8,000 out of the front and about 6,000 out of the rear on my C10. (I never let the wear bars become smooth!)

A month after I got the C14 I installed matching Avon Spirit STs, expecting the rear would wear out sooner than the front. Well, the front wore out after 4,500 miles, while the rear is still good! Plenty of tread left on the rear Spirit ST. Always kept the 42 psi spec on both. Tires were replaced at the same time.

Go figure. Same kind of tire, front and rear, both installed at the same time on the same motorcycle, same psi. Certainly not what I expected.

Replaced worn front with another Avon Spirit ST, same stock size: 120/70 ZR 17.

Loved my C10. Up to that point, it was the best bike I'd ever owned. Now it's the second best; the C14 is a superb motorcycle in every way. :D (y)

from a long time Avon tire user (Storm tires over the decade) , keep up the good reporting/work. I had good results with Avons (actually all tires) by using recommended pressures +2 psi - measured cold.

I personally didn't care for the spirits because it would spin the rear wheel in 2nd and 3rd. Brand new with about 300 miles on them. Granted, it was on on ramps but I tried 3 ramps in a row with the same results. Michelins don't spin. I'm not a pure Michelin fan anymore but they very good in the rain.

I'm on my 2nd set of Spirit ST on the FJR. The first set went ~8K+ with the front being quite a bit more worn than the rear. This included a 2-day riding course which wasn't easy on the front tire.

The rear has a harder compound in the center section which seems to slow the arrival of flat spotting.

Before these it was pair of Michelin PR4. They lasted longer but the Avons give me more confidence in corners.