• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Avon Venoms vs. Dunlop Elite 3

EddieM

OK. I'm in the market for new skins. I have been happy with the Venoms so far. Great mileage (23K on the front and 20K on the rear). But I'm curious about the Elite 3. Has anyone run both that can compare them? I can get the Dunlops a little cheaper than the Avons but it's not enough that it screams "Buy me!". So, anybody out there that can give me some feedback?

Eddie

I'm on my second set of Elite 3 radials on my GoldWing. They offer pretty good tire wear and very good wet handling. Only issue I've had is that the front tire "howls" pretty loudly in curves (especially as it starts to wear down). I"m guessing that the E3s in GL1500 sizes aren't radials as the GL1500 wasn't "designed" for them. 

Thanks for the info. I am leaning more toward the Venoms since they have done so well for me.

Eddie

Eddie- I got 21K from my first set of E3 bias Dunlops. I now have 19K on my second set. I am not an agressive rider but Im not a slug either. I am the old guy in the lime green shirt. We met at Steve Js house before riding to Gator Joes. Hope to see you all in January again.  Maybe in Mt. Snow in Aug.  Tom Taylor Cog #7173.

Hey, Tom. I do remember you. Thanks for the info on the Elite 3. They are still a possibility. Hope you can make it to Vermont. Looks like I might be in for it!

Eddie

Yeah, Steve. We always need a little more excitement!

I ended up sticking with the Avons since I got good mileage out of them and was happy with them. Went up to Mike's today to put them on but but we couldn't get the rear tire to balance. Called the vendor and they're gonna send me a new one. First one of the Venoms I've had trouble with!

And hiya, yourself! ^-^

Oi!!!

I should have read this thread before buying earlier today.

I wanted to try the GW 1500 sizing for the first time and was waffling between E3 and Venom. Based on TCro endorsing the Avons a long time back I went with them and it sounds like folks in this thread like them. I ended up spending $309.90 at swmototire, :'( ....Avon is very proud of their product. Mounting and balancing will likely be another $50.00.  :'(

I've managed to squeeze better than 25K out of Dunlop D205/D220 tires in the past so maybe I can exceed 35K on these.  :))

Personally I am still waiting to here a Pilot GT and Avon Venom comparison.

I have ridden Connies with Dunlop Elite 3's and to me they handled about the same as Metzeler ME880's did. Not necessarily bad, but the steering response is definitely slowed down compared to stock, much less the HighPerf radials in the stock size.

The Pilot GT's were nice in this respect. They steered much better than the ME880's, E3's did and had decent traction too for a Wing Tar. And still gave the mileage people want. Not in the same league as the HP radials for steering but much better than the othe wing Tars I have used and rode. A great balance between the two.

So Pilot Gt's are the bench mark. But they are no longer available. Seems Avon Venoms are what many are leaning towards now. But how to they compare to the bench mark?

Yes I know this may seem irrelevant since the GT's are no longer available.  However for me I will keep changing out BT-45's before I go back to a Wing Tar that handles like the ME880 did. If it does not measure up to the Pilot GT then I will just keep using BT-45's.