• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

"B" series PR3 Difference

4cedars

Bicycle
Does anyone have any experience with the B series PR3 designed for 2-up riding verses the standard PR2 or PR3? I run the PR2's. I am 250+# with ATGATT, carry a aux fuel cell (4 gallon), plus the weight in the bags and the bag strapped on the bike. So I am fairly confident that I am pushing the limits of weight for what would be considered solo riding nearing the 2-up weight. I am in east central IL, so with the exception of the occassional 60 mph sweeper, twisties are 250 miles in any direction. I run a lot of highway, especially during IBA cert. rides. Planning a 100CCC-SS5000 this year and a possible Great Lakes 50, along with a flower sniffin ride to the BRP and Tail.

Is the sidewall beefed up a little or is the center of the tire slightly heavier? I was not able to locate any info on the Michelin motorcycle website. My problem is the center flattens out and gets thin. I do get 10,000 out of the PR2 rears without to much trouble.

And will the tire last any longer than I am getting out of the PR2 rear.

Thanks, John

Murph told me the B has a stiffer sidewall, and is intended for a really heavy cruiser or touring bike.

He says it would hurt the handling of a C14 and is not required even for 2 up fully-loaded riding.

I trust Murph, so I got regular PR3s.

I ran the "E" spec on the Angel ST. That is the heavier load tire similar to the "B" spec Michelin's. In my case, the side wall was much stiffer. It made mounting and dismounting a real PITA. The handling also suffered because of the carcass stiffness. I would not use them again since the normal spec tires perform just fine. And the normal spec tire handled better as well.

"B" series is only available (so far) in a 180/55ZR17....so, even though I disagree with Murph on this one...since I had to warranty a standard PR2 on an FJR1300 after it was blistered...and the rider has had zero issues with his "B" series PR2s...I would use a "B" series for heavy loads...but, I wouldn't go to a smaller tire to get it...

HTH...

I spoke to Michelin about this, and they say the sidewall is stiffer. No word yet if they'll make it in the C14 size.

I installed the B-spec PR3 on the rear of my 2012 after the initial BT21s wore off at 5000 miles. I've since gotten 8000 more before needing a replacement this time. Yes, it's the 180/55 and although about 1/3 inch narrower, it's almost the identical overall circumference as the stocker. I'm happy with it to the point of ordering a exact replacement. Of the 14000 miles I've put on mine, I'd say 10000 was two up. Unfortunately the 180/55 is the most expensive pr3 you can buy, and now that I know it's only a stiffer sidewall, I may just try the 190/50 pr3 next time just to see if the heavy steering comes back with it. I'm sure that wont be till most of the way through this coming summer, but I'll be sure to let you guys know my impressions when I get there.
Winter in northern NY sucks if you own a connie. I wanna ride so bad.

You can always get a 190/55 if you want to keep the slightly better fall in effect, which some think is easier turn in. LOL.

Weird thing is the 55 has 3/32 (2mm) less tread depth than the 50 aspect ratio 190 PR2 and PR3....just something maybe to consider.

I had worked at a dealer for years and just noticed this little tid bit a couple of years ago. On Michelin's site they have a pdf that lists the specs on all their street tires. Weird but true. So, the 190/50 should last longer than a 55 series. But, I really like the handling of the 55s?... :(

The list is kinda hiding. It's under their fitment guide... 

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/pubs/fitment2012.pdf

My PR3 190/55 has 6/32 with about 150 miles on it....it's just scuffed in.  I think I should stop into my dealer tomorrow and do some tread depth measuring......

I'm glad that Michelin's tread depth appears to be a misprint. I have a new set of PR3s in the motorcycle room, waiting to go on...in 55 series. Really wasn't excited about less treadwear.

Mac said:
I'm glad that Michelin's tread depth appears to be a misprint. I have a new set of PR3s in the motorcycle room, waiting to go on...in 55 series. Really wasn't excited about less treadwear.

?? where did we see it was a misprint ??
the one 50 post ?? was that to the bar or to the tire ?? people measure different. just checking here cause i eat tires for some reason.  :motonoises:

Their Anakee 2 is wrong was well.  I measured 9mm on my Vstrom, they are saying 7mm.

Perhaps they are (as was said) only measuring to the top of the wear bar.  Mine get ridden to the carcass so I use all the tread depth I paid for.