• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Back on TWO Wheels

mcfly

Brand new to the COG Forum, I'm going to pick-up my 2006 Concours in 3 days.
My 1st gen "Connie" will have 18k miles on it when I go get it.  This is my 1st
sport touring bike.  I'll post the pic I have.  The Connie runs excellent, 1 owner,
and aside from a vibrating right mirror, it just needs a cleaning.  (No it wasn't dropped,
or at least there were no visible signs, as the bike is in very good condition.

I'm re-entering the riding world after a 20 year hiatus.  I rode mostly dirt bikes
'way back when' and had a 1979 KZ400 (dating myself), for a short spell.
Bikes sure have come a long way since then.  I chose the Concours because it's
comfortable, reliable, and although a bit powerful for a re-entry bike, I'll be
commuting with it, so I need a practical bike that can run on the highways.

Soooo, I'm in my riding safety course this week, thought it a good idea. Then
next week I'll have my Motorcycle Endorsement on my license.  SWEET!

I'll be around digging tidbits of information from everyone. 

Attachments

• Bike Pic.jpg
    Bike Pic.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 113
Welcome Marti,  After you take that course take the Concours to a parking lot and practice the skills on it.  It will be way different and you will be glad you did a load of practice before you do loads of street time.  This bike requires you pick a good landing spot every time you stop since it is so heavy it is hard to back up or change your mind at the last second.

Welcome Marti,  After you take that course take the Concours to a parking lot and practice the skills on it.  It will be way different and you will be glad you did a load of practice before you do loads of street time.  This bike requires you pick a good landing spot every time you stop since it is so heavy it is hard to back up or change your mind at the last second.

+1

Try not to do it with a full tank (7.5gal) cause it adds to the top heaviness  :)

smithr-scad said:

:iagree:

Depending on your comfort level with your C10 you make not want to rush in to practice some of the more demanding skills until you acclimate to the bike a bit.  Here are some thoughts...

Swerving... You should be able to move right in to practice swerving. Just remember what you were taught about separating breaking and swerving.  The connie will go down fast like a bag of bricks.

Max braking...  The back end of the bike really lightens up under max braking, requireing the rider to adjust as weight shifts forward.  Keep the bike upright and handlebars square. If tweaked to one side just a little the connie can catch you off guard and will go down fast like a bag of bricks.

Limited space maneuvers...  The connie is capable of making a tight u-turn inside the box (both the 24' and 20' wide boxes) by using significant counter-weighting and lean angle.  Do not use the front brake at all during this technique. The connie will go down fast like a bag of bricks.

I appreciate all the tips.  Thanks!  :beerchug:

I wonder why they call it the Concours, and not the "Bag o' Bricks 1000"  lol.

I've always been a defensive driver, and plan to step it up yet another notch
(or two) as a rider.  As far as "what to do when you get it" opinions vary from
every person I spoke with.  Here's my plan:

1) Full Detail, inspection, then an afternoon at DMV for plates.
2) To the Shop for full service...carb sync, filter/fluid changes, ss brake lines.
  Better to have a good shop (I have one close by) get me back to '0' on
  maintenance so I know where I am.
3) Start/stop and low speed drills... with a full tank... this way I'm
  practicing with the worst the bike can offer, I have no fear (or common sense)  :p
4) Do NOT mention I've been practicing on a scooter.... hehe.
5) I'll work slowly into street riding...  I don't plan on killing myself, or my bike any time soon.
6) Keep reading the COG Forum...

Any more "suggestions" are gladly accepted!

The best suggestion I can give you is to join COG and get all of the enjoyment & knowledge you won't receive by only being on the forum. Where do you live?  We have short, long, ride to eat meetings, weekend camping trips, and our national rally. We'd like to see you sometime at a ride. Your heart will flutter when you see 30 or 40 Concours parked together.
Al

As far as taking it to a shop for all that service:  MOST shops have never seen a "classic" Concours and have NO idea how to maintain or service it so be very careful there.  I had a shop attempt to resolve a carb issue on mine without removing any of the fairings (which is impossible, BTW), so I ended up R/R my carbs myself (Thanks MOB!).  I'd suggest that you (essentially) interview the tech that's going to do the work but even better would be for you to get the Clymer's and Kawasaki manuals and do it yourself.  It's really not that hard (can be a little nerve wracking sometimes but ...) and you'll get a lot better service at a much lower price.  Joining COG provides you complete access to a plethora of maintenance info and tips.  Additionally, you'll meet some great folks.  Try to find a COG member in your area and get them to show you how to wrench on your own bike.

Yep to all of the above.  Where are in the Southeast?  I've been known to offer up a wrench session every now and again (and find REALLY, REALLY good and knowledgeable COGgers to attend!)

Volcantour said:
Yep to all of the above.  Where are in the Southeast?  I've been known to offer up a wrench session every now and again (and find REALLY, REALLY good and knowledgeable COGgers to attend!)

Located in Melbourne, FL.  East Coast.

I'm by no means afraid to turn a wrench.  I'm addicted to tinkering.
To have it done by a mechanic would just get me on the bike quicker,
and I really want to get riding.  I WILL heed the warning(s) and be sure
the shop is capable of doing the work.  I have a recommended Kawi shop
close by...  no harm in asking them... right?

I appreciate the input folks!  Thanks!

Martin, be sure to make our 'Last Blast' ride to Dixie Crossroads in Titusville on December 17th. We'll have a couple of the best wrenches in COGdom with Larry Buck and Steve Sefsick in attendance. You're free to pick their brain while there. Mine's as clean as a month old wishbone.  Al

Martin, welcome to the group. I see that your an ex dirt biker.
The Connie doesn't handle anything like a dirt bike but your experience in dirt bikes definitely gives you an advantage.
You'll adapt well to the Connie.

Lots of COGgers in Florida,.

Ride safe, Ted

Titusville on the 17th.... I'll have to clear that day!  If any Central Floridians know
a reputable Kawi shop I can have my bike serviced at, I'd appreciate the referral.

My dirt bike riding experience hasn't done squat for riding the Concours, save
finding the gears, and clutch finess.  Granted that is somewhat of an advantage
My POS Nighthawk 250 training bike didn't do diddle either.  I'm giving this bike a
LOT of respect.  Maybe I'm older (and wiser) but getting on a dirt bike meant
"let's go do some crazy sh*t!".  Just the weight of the Connie makes me rethink
everything I knew about motorcycles.  This is NOT a toy.  Switching from the
training bike to the C10 seemed epic...lol.

I'm still a little apprehensive, and cautious, but today's little jaunt around town
relieved a lot of it.  Over time repetition will build confidence, and the smile will
just get Chesire Cat wide. :)

Welcome to the forum.  Welcome to the concours.  This is the fourth bike I have owned since getting back on in 06.  Enjoy yer ride, it is more fun to me than a cruiser.  While it ain't as lite as a dirt bike, it handles better than the VTX that I traded for it. 

Welcome to the circus from another "old" re-entry dude. Listen carefully to these guys and join COG. I waited a while and I'm still reading stuff that became availale when I joined. The small cost of joining is MORE than paid for by saved shop costs!

Yes, the old girl's heavy. But you'll find yourself, saying, "what a nice bike."
Ron 

Martin,  your best bet is to have any significant work done by Larry Buck in Boca Raton or Steve Sefsick in Wesley Chapel. You'll get it done correctly the first time and won't get hosed in the process. If you go with Steve, give me a call and we'll work out some options on getting you home or staying over with me for the day. I also have a reliable m/c trailer that you could use, but we do have some logistical stuff to work out. Anyway, if I can be of any help, please call me in Inverness @ 352 eight,six zero, 1014.  AL

Thank you ALL for the warm welcome, again.

Al, it's my luck that I'm the furthest point from any reliable mechanics.
There's a Champion in Cocoa, but I'm sceptical.  Boca and/or Chapel Hill
are both a HUGE hike from Melbourne.

I do thank you for the referrals, and I don't doubt they're the best of
the best, I'm just praying they're not the ONLY... lol. 

Mcfly said:
Titusville on the 17th.... I'll have to clear that day!  If any Central Floridians know
a reputable Kawi shop I can have my bike serviced at, I'd appreciate the referral.
You are fortunate to live near our carbbie magician/Connie tech extraordinaire. Steve Sefcik, he's over in Wesley Chapel. You'll not find anyone around(especially at a dealer) that knows a Conc inside and out like Steve does. He posts on here as Steve in Sunny Florida. Ask around.

BYW, I've heard horror stories on our local Champions regarding carbbie work. Nice folks otherwise, I will not use their shop.

Disclaimer: I know and do business with Steve.

edit to add:
Duh! Welcome, from one of the Florida Steves. There are a few Steves in central Flowriduh.
Keep an eye on the impromptu events for "local" RTEs, and SE events for more "formal" COG events. I pretty much schedule an RTE when there is a lull in official activity. There will be a few scattered around this winter.

Mcfly said:

My dirt bike riding experience hasn't done squat for riding the Concours, save
finding the gears, and clutch finess.  Granted that is somewhat of an advantage
My POS Nighthawk 250 training bike didn't do diddle either.  I'm giving this bike a
LOT of respect.  Maybe I'm older (and wiser) but getting on a dirt bike meant
"let's go do some crazy sh*t!".  Just the weight of the Connie makes me rethink
everything I knew about motorcycles.  This is NOT a toy.  Switching from the
training bike to the C10 seemed epic...lol.

I'm still a little apprehensive, and cautious, but today's little jaunt around town
relieved a lot of it.  Over time repetition will build confidence, and the smile will
just get Chesire Cat wide. :)

Gotta disagree with you. The skills you used doing crazy S__t on a dirtbike will come in useful. Your mind/ body knows how to react to a sudden emergency manuver, or a locked brake when your stopping, etc etc,,,,.
Others have to learn skills that you already have.

Yea the weight is there and is a major factor, but your way ahead on the learning curve.

Hope you get to ride with Steve, Steve, Steve,,,,,  and the other Florida scoundrels. You will enjoy!!

Ride safe, Ted