• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Back To The Shack in MN

likesbikes

August 10 - 11 Back to the Shack
It's the annual ride up to the serene land on Horseshoe Lake near Pine River. Explore the roads that wind around the lakes and Jack pines of the north, returning to the shack for some R&R, grillin' and chillin' and b.s.in' around the bonfire. Take in the complimentary northwoods ambience of fresh air, loons, beavers, eagles, bullfrogs and other wildlife. If not a camper lodging can be found in town. There will be a couple of spare tents and air mattress's on hand to help lighten your load.
Whatever motorcyle you ride, dual sport, adventure tourer or road bike, there are plenty of trails  and roads to explore. The Shack is near the central part of the TMAT route (Trans Minnesota Adventure Tour) and plenty of state land with trails and old logging roads for the adventurist.

Currently there is one opening to a trailer for a D - P bike out of four places, other trailering options can be aranged if need be. There is a kayak, canoe and row boat available to take some time off and maybe do some fishing. There are some decent roads for the street bike and some attractions to check out, ride up to the headwaters of the Mississippi River, take a pic of the Walleye building near Bena as seen in National Lampoons Family Vacation, it's all good.

Meet at the Forest Lake Perkins just east of I35 on 2 Breakfast at 8:30 leave around 9:30

Consider the spot yours with LSGiant, Rogerdoger and myself. Need some street bikes to get a group ride started.

I feel a most excellent adventure in the making.

Tom have you had any luck with the wine tour?

Indeed Jeff. The local winery was not enthusiastic about a group of Motorcyclists coming for a tour.
Now I REALLY want to go there with everyone.  :nananana:
Chateau St. Croix is all good. I better get this scheduled...

Off topic but...I spoke with Bill who does the tours at Chateau St. Croix winery. He informed me the fall festival is the weekend of Sept. 21st. Up to 10,000 people will go there,  the place will be jammed.
http://www.chateaustcroix.com/calendar.html
We went to the spring festival and had to park in a field away from the winery with only a couple hundred there.
He suggested we come another day. But it will be a hoot with Dave Yabarra blues band playing and food vendors for lunch.
http://www.chateaustcroix.com/fall-festival-september-21st--22nd-2013.html

Let's discuss at the Shack....

No Street bikes coming, who is going to haul the beer back after riding the wild North ?

Well, I might be up on the FJR or Connie, but I ain't no stinkin truck :021:

I'm slightly low on dueling purpose bikes right now....

Yes I can......would you like me to create the camera mount option for you? I am doing mine.

Sure if you want to, only for one, I have plans for the other one.

Have you talked to Cookie he usually attends BTTS

Tundra Tom said:
LSGiant said:
No Street bikes coming, who is going to haul the beer back after riding the wild North ?

Maybe grab the Beer and Food in town on the way up?

We have brats and stuff left over from Gathering on the Green I was just giving Brian a hard time

Cookie has a gig that Saturday. We could make a stop in town for supplies before rolling in.
Other than us here I had one cancelation and one rider on a new KLR who is doing the ride and camping.

LSGiant said:
Tundra Tom said:
LSGiant said:

Maybe grab the Beer and Food in town on the way up?

We have brats and stuff left over from Gathering on the Green I was just giving Brian a hard time

Sorry guys, I can't make it this year. My August is too jammed with events. I need some down time before I hit the cancer treatment again on 8/14.

The gig was last Friday. The weather was perfect and once we got everything to work, it went great. Music gear is worse than motorcycles.

Have fun and hoist a few for me. Be careful if you try to get into one of Randy's canoes. Those things are tippy. Oh, and take your cell phone out of your pocket before you even think of walking by the lake.

You can count on us to hoist a few in your honor, the waters (and loon shit) off of the dock of Horseshoe Lake have claimed a small but distinguished group of members. If it helps consider it a baptism of sorts.

>:D
Cookie said:
Sorry guys, I can't make it this year. My August is too jammed with events. I need some down time before I hit the cancer treatment again on 8/14.

The gig was last Friday. The weather was perfect and once we got everything to work, it went great. Music gear is worse than motorcycles.

Have fun and hoist a few for me. Be careful if you try to get into one of Randy's canoes. Those things are tippy. Oh, and take your cell phone out of your pocket before you even think of walking by the lake.

We did as you asked Jim, and toasted you around the fire :beerchug:  :campfire:  This was my first BTTS event and despite the fact that I did not ride the dirt, I enjoyed the weekend.  As it turns out, I now know I could have ridden along with the Dual Sporters on my FJR!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/XWng5pEtgkg

I had to leave a little early on Sunday....missed the breakfast, dang it. The timing worked out good though cause my 96 year old mom went to the hospital that morning, so I managed to get back to go over and spend a few hours and then take her back home. She's OK, just the usual passing out thing....

Anyway, thanks all, and some pics below

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/bpsnow1/library/Back%20to%20the%20Shack%202013

I was looking for information on a couple events, and I come across this video of 2fast.  I must say holy s***.  There had to of been a few points that you were wondering if you should turn around.  I have been sitting here at work with my mouth wide open in disbelief of how you handled the FJR off road, and you were not crawling.  I felt like you were moving at a pretty good clip.  I only wish there was better resolution on the video so I could truly see what kind of terrain it was.  Fantastic!    :-\  :great:

EDIT:  I now see that it was not a video shot in America.  Regardless, that dude has huge cajones.

So who is going this year ? Just myself and Randy signed up so far. I have talked to a few people who say they are coming. I am planning on heading up Friday after work. I am going to haul my bike and pull a trailer. If you guys want a spot on a trailer please sign up and then send me a PM. Transportation will not be provided unless you are signed up on the COG site.

Dates this year are August 8,9 & 10

I think I can make it. Looks like I should have that weekend off.
Couldn't find Horseshoe Lake near Pine River on the map yet, but Pine River is only 70 miles from home..
How do we sign up and find directions??

I'm gonna try and run up there. I leave the next weekend to pick my bike up in Oregon, so time might be tight....

Please remember to get signed up if you need your bike transported.
Randy
Will we need an OHV sticker for the off road rides ?

Technically you should have an OHV sticker, in all my years of riding in the area I never saw one authority figure checking papers. A majority of the route will be on roads for licensed vehicles, I figure I've already been taxed twice so I'm going to use a trail as a road. It's freedom baby, yeah! :great:

Just registered Robbie and myself. Robbie will ride one of RReids bikes, and I will ride the DR650 (if Jeff has room in his trailer for it).

Looking forward to the great North country, w/ friends AND family! :beerchug:

jettawreck said:
I think I can make it. Looks like I should have that weekend off.
Couldn't find Horseshoe Lake near Pine River on the map yet, but Pine River is only 70 miles from home..
How do we sign up and find directions??

OK, figured out the sign up and registered, but the link with map/directions isn't showing anything for me. Found the Horseshoe Lake "near" Pine River on a map, but still leaves a lot of ground to cover.

I think I can help you out on the location of the Shack, the address is 2309 12th ave SW Pine River directly across the road from a house with fire#458. Entrance is a grassy unimproved driveway, go slow.
I'm up in The River of Pines right now getting some wi-fi action at Ole and Lena's in town, perfect weather but hopefully will get some rain to keep the dust down on the backroads

Summer is short, get out in it.

That did not work to well on Google 12th ave is county road 43.  Watch for the house with the fire number. Almost everybody drives by the first time look forward to seeing you there

likesbikes said:
I think I can help you out on the location of the Shack, the address is 2309 12th ave SW Pine River directly across the road from a house with fire#458. Entrance is a grassy unimproved driveway, go slow.
I'm up in The River of Pines right now getting some wi-fi action at Ole and Lena's in town, perfect weather but hopefully will get some rain to keep the dust down on the backroads

Summer is short, get out in it.

Thanks!!
I should be able to find that OK.
MapQuest and Google show this as a bit south of a Horseshoe Lake located to the NE of Pine River. Mapquest shows 12th Ave SW as Co Rd 41 turning north along the east shore of Jorseshoe Lake.
Is that correct??

LSGiant said:
That did not work to well on Google 12th ave is county road 43.  Watch for the house with the fire number. Almost everybody drives by the first time look forward to seeing you there

That's pretty common. Lots of these newer addresses are using street numbers to replace co. rd. numbers.
Thanks for the info.

I'm in for this year. I can't take Friday off, so I'm riding up on Saturday morning.

Have fun playing in the dirt. I'll be at the shack when you get back. I promise not to fall in the lake until everyone gets back.

Cookie