• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bad wreck in Las Vegas

Cap'n Bob

I was sitting here watching the IZOD Indycar series race in Las Vegas. You don't normally see 15 car pile up's in Indycar. But that's what happened. Cars air-born everywhere. It's was pretty bad. It's probably the worst crash I've seen in racing over all. Hopefully everyone is still alive.
At this time it's under a red flag. Some of the drivers have come out of the medical center. But it sounds like there some be some bad injuries. Dan Wheldon has been named as going to have a long road to recovery. So that doesn't sound good. That's all I know right now. One helicopter has already lifted off to transport a driver to the hospital.

It was confirmed that it was Dan Wheldon who was air lifted out. Two other drivers were transported by ambulance off site to the hospital as well. I post more if I hear it.

Wow, that's incredible.  The SpeedTV guy that gives a quick update of the race directly after a commercial break mentioned this before going back to the world feed.  Hope all are OK.  :(

Now Will Power who thought he was OK, has been transported to the hospital with lower back pain. That's four now transported to the hospital.

They have ended the race at 12 laps. Dan Wheldon  has died. The drivers have decided to do a five lap tribute parade around the track in Dan's honor. Tragic.

Yes, very, very sad.  If there is a silver lining in this it is that there were no other fatalities- that was a horrific crash, with so many cars involved.  The five lap tribute, with Wheldon's number at the top of the pole, was a wonderful salute from the other drivers.  Rest in peace Dan, and may your family find comfort in your legacy.

I was flipping past the Indy race when I saw the crash. 

It was horrid and more than a few people (including many of the racers) seem to think it was inevitable with all those cars going like crazy.  I also seemed to hear that many non-Indy teams were invited because of the big purse and the shootout style and that the skill disparity was expected.

Usually I flip to a different channel when I see car races but this one was mesmerizing.  I think there were like 34 cars and all seemed to be going 3 abreast through corners and down the straights.  Contact seemed inevitable and then people got airborne.

You just knew someone was badly off when you see the medic team hovering for a very long time above one car.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but that one seemed like a great big horror story just waiting for a place to happen.  Thoughts with the Wheldon family, team and friends.

This is a trajedy for all. Indy Car Racing is in some serious need of help for its series to survive. The speeds that they're driving on some of these mile and 1 1/2 mile tracks is crazy. Jimmie Johnson from Nascar says they shouldn't race on ovals at all. With the power and speeds involved they should all be road courses. Some big questions to answer this winter. Mark