• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

bag pinning...re-dux

MAN OF BLUES

bag pinning...re-dux

place the bags on the bike, observe the location I showed with relation to the "ribs" on the bag lower yoke, spot the position. pre-drill the first hole using a 1/8" dia bit, this allows you to spot the hole, drill the guide hole, and remove the bags for drilling thru the mount easily with the correct bit.
before you drill anything insure the 2 screws that hold the plastick "puck" onto the mount are securely tightened, this insures a good and consistant assembly.

Drill to final diameter using a 3/16" diameter bit, do not get "sloppy" and rotate the bit and drill around, drill straight thru, this insures a tight interface to keep the pin in it's happy spot. The pins have a ball detent to reduce the chance of backing out, but after hours of banging around they do move...just check them occasionally, and push them back in firmly if they move.

I got these pins from McMaster-Carr, a great source for "stuff" you may need to fix a bike, modify anything, or get any freaking tool you need....they ship fast, cheap, and sometimes for free...I have had parts from them delivered within 36 hours of ordering...they rock!

I ordered 4, just because I wanted spares.....

http://www.mcmaster.com/#98320a020/=ci7v7g

98320A020 4 Each Zinc-plated Steel Ring-grip Quick-release Pin, 3/16" Diameter, 2.0" Usable Length
they are now $1.47 each, if you buy 2, shipping is the same as if you buy 4....

I got these for IIRC $8 delivered, within 40 hours of calling.

note:
I'm sharing this from a re-build on "the other place"...
http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1152.msg11081#msg11081

I just pinned mine also.
wasn't to tough.  i got the pins at Lowe's.
  it really locks the bags on, no movement once installed.

OK, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this fixed on the 2010 and 2011 C14s? If not I'm getting ready for a trip and need to get this done. Had a neighbor loose one of his bags on a BMW and while it stayed closed it looks bad. Don't want this to happen to me.
TJ

2011Blk said:
OK, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this fixed on the 2010 and 2011 C14s? If not I'm getting ready for a trip and need to get this done. Had a neighbor loose one of his bags on a BMW and while it stayed closed it looks bad. Don't want this to happen to me.
TJ

No! They replaced the original pannier latch on the early production C14's, that were breaking. But it  does not prevent the pannier from being able to come off the bike on a good size bump. I personally would take some kind of precaution, to insure the panniers don't get off the bike before your done riding yourself for the day!
I agree with MOB on the pin method. I think it gives an extra secure mounting point. Plus they are basically out of sight!

i was worried about it, but i didnt want to pin them, so i used a long zip tie wrapped around the bag handle then around the passenger grab handle.
my thought was at least it wasnt going to fall off.

i did 100 mile ride yesterday and the bags are still solidly pinned.

MKorn said:
i was worried about it, but i didnt want to pin them, so i used a long zip tie wrapped around the bag handle then around the passenger grab handle.

as I open the bags about 3 times on every trip I make, I'd be going thru ty-wraps continually. :))

MAN OF BLUES said:
MKorn said:

as I open the bags about 3 times on every trip I make, I'd be going thru ty-wraps continually. :))

you can open the bags ... jsut cant take them off with the ties on there.
CIMG0521.jpg

As fast as zip-ties die (get brittle and break) from the sun here in the SW I wouldn't trust them after a couple of weeks.
TJ

MAN OF BLUES said:
Zinc-plated Steel Ring-grip Quick-release Pin, 3/16" Diameter, 2.0" Usable Length

All I could find locally was 1-3/4 " pins ... your pins wouldn't happen to stick out a quarter of an inch would they? I'll order the ones you mentioned as they are a lot less expensive but I might be leaving on a trip before they arrive. Thanks.
TJ

Update: Just ordered the pins from McMasters as the place I called didn't really have what they said they did when I got there.  :mad:

i used the 1/4" x 1 3/4" pins ... fit great.

i drilled in between the ribs ... so you dont need the full 2" of the width.

Still waiting for my pins (they are $10.81 for 4 now) but I might not need them. Decided to drill the 1/8" pilot holes and find something to use just for next week's trip. Found that a 3.5 inch piece of 12 gauge solid strand house wire fits in nicely and is not very noticeable. Now this would be a pain if you plan to remove the bags every night on the road but I don't.
TJ
Pinned_bag.jpg

I've used detent pins with the ball for years in multiple applications and have never had issue.  I put them in mine (got them at Ace Hardware for a couple bucks each) last year, and have never lost one.  What I like is how fast they pull so you can pull the bags.  When I travel I do take the bags off and bring them in at night.

Necron99 said:
I've used detent pins with the ball for years in multiple applications and have never had issue.  I put them in mine (got them at Ace Hardware for a couple bucks each) last year, and have never lost one.  What I like is how fast they pull so you can pull the bags.  When I travel I do take the bags off and bring them in at night.

It's not the stealing of them that concerned me as much as the loosing them on a good size bump in the road!  :eek:

Detent pins make the bakes maybe 3% harder to steal for a smart thief.  Perhaps 50% or more harder for a dumb thief.  LOL

11L4MEmv9VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

2011Blk said:
Still waiting for my pins (they are $10.81 for 4 now) but I might not need them. Decided to drill the 1/8" pilot holes and find something to use just for next week's trip. Found that a 3.5 inch piece of 12 gauge solid strand house wire fits in nicely and is not very noticeable. Now this would be a pain if you plan to remove the bags every night on the road but I don't.
TJ
Pinned_bag.jpg

I'm not trying to be Debby-Downer, but did you drill thru the screw that holds the plastic puck on???
I made a warning in my post about that, it may cause difficult extraction of that screw in the future...

MAN OF BLUES said:
I'm not trying to be Debby-Downer, but did you drill thru the screw that holds the plastic puck on???
I made a warning in my post about that, it may cause difficult extraction of that screw in the future...

Nope, I just missed it.  :) I'd rather be lucky than good.
TJ

MAN OF BLUES said:
bag pinning...re-dux

place the bags on the bike, observe the location I showed with relation to the "ribs" on the bag lower yoke, spot the position. pre-drill the first hole using a 1/8" dia bit, this allows you to spot the hole, drill the guide hole, and remove the bags for drilling thru the mount easily with the correct bit.
before you drill anything insure the 2 screws that hold the plastick "puck" onto the mount are securely tightened, this insures a good and consistant assembly.

Drill to final diameter using a 3/16" diameter bit, do not get "sloppy" and rotate the bit and drill around, drill straight thru, this insures a tight interface to keep the pin in it's happy spot. The pins have a ball detent to reduce the chance of backing out, but after hours of banging around they do move...just check them occasionally, and push them back in firmly if they move.

I got these pins from McMaster-Carr, a great source for "stuff" you may need to fix a bike, modify anything, or get any freaking tool you need....they ship fast, cheap, and sometimes for free...I have had parts from them delivered within 36 hours of ordering...they rock!

98320A020 4 Each Zinc-plated Steel Ring-grip Quick-release Pin, 3/16" Diameter, 2.0" Usable Length

note:

Is 3/16 the max dia. you can go with the hole?

with that pin, YES.
no need for a larger diameter pin.
don't make the hole oversized either, the pin will not stay in.

So I can safely go .25
Only reason I ask is I have a small lock out padlock with .25 shackle diameter .75 wide and 3" long shackle
So I figure this will give me peace of mind with theft and falling off

LennyK said:
So I can safely go .25
Only reason I ask is I have a small lock out padlock with .25 shackle diameter .75 wide and 3" long shackle

I didn't say 1/4" would work, didn't try myself, you'll need to remove the plastic part from the mount and do some measuring to be sure. Think trying to do it like I did would likely end up drilling thru one of the screws...

MAN OF BLUES said:
LennyK said:
So I can safely go .25

I didn't say 1/4" would work, didn't try myself, you'll need to remove the plastic part from the mount and do some measuring to be sure. Think trying to do it like I did would likely end up drilling thru one of the screws...

Got it ,, guess for now some cable ties for up top for some insurance.. And will look into the pinning thing when I have more time

Has this really been a big problem..it seemed to me that once they bags were on and locked they were pretty darn secured....have any of you had these actually fall off or are you doing this pin mod because you read the thread.

I've seen one video of it happening and heard of a couple more.  That's a good enough reason for me to do it.
I'm a firm believer of taking easy/cheap steps to prevent bad things that might happen. It's the same reason we buy insurance. 
                            :great:

Yes, it's just another option if someone has an amazon account and/or wants the stainless pins.

TLR said:
Looks normal. 

What's the problem?

;D

Found this on the Muzzy site... thought it was pretty funny that they actually put them on backwards and didn't even realize it then used in their active website!

BruceS said:
Lenny, it looks like you have a slight leak from your rear hub.

that pic was my pic, and my bike...
no, there was no leak on my hub,ni just used a bit to much grease when I lubed the spines,it slings off and does that... no leaks.

Larry said:

So, I see these here on the board - but, they no longer seem to be for sale. Does anyone have the design? I know someone who may be interested in manufacturing them if the original designer is done making them...  :great:

Larry said:

I've been using these for a couple of years. At first I was reluctant thinking they would be easy to lose but I still have them. Easy to use, well made, inexpensive, no drilling. Don't know how or what they're made of but I'm happy with them :) .

Back in the 2007-8 model years, there was a recall on the latches.  Yes, people DID lose their bags.  Kawi stepped up and improved the design.
I thought that solved the whole thing.  I have wrenched on my side bags to see if I can get them to pop loose, and thankfully with no success.  Granted, these pins are cheap insurance, but are people really still losing their bags since the recall?

I pinned my bags using the McMaster Carr and the instructions given, and the pins are beginning to slide out of place. if I don't push them back in after every commute, I am afraid they will slide clear out, proving worthless.

any suggestions? the pins do have the spring loaded ball at the end, but doesn't seem to matter.

leisyman said:
I pinned my bags using the McMaster Carr and the instructions given, and the pins are beginning to slide out of place. if I don't push them back in after every commute, I am afraid they will slide clear out, proving worthless.

any suggestions? the pins do have the spring loaded ball at the end, but doesn't seem to matter.

having been the first "pinner", I tried to stress in my post on drilling a pilot hole using a 1/8" drill, and then running a 3/16" one in perfectly straight to prevent making the hole oversized and too loose. I guess if yours loosened, this may have occurred. Mine have been on for ages, and I've pulled and reinstalled hundreds of times, not lost one yet... I do carry 2 spare new ones tho, just for insurance... I suppose you could do a single wrap of black electrical tape on the barrel to recreat a snug fir again, or replace them with new ones if the detent balls got smooshed in... or eveen a mini tie wrap thru the split ring and around the lump... all would work.

If you ride a lot of miles loaded on bumpy roads even well drilled holes will "waller out" a bit, making the pins a loose fit. One of mine did (the one my wife loads up  :-[) A suitable size cotter pin solved the problem. Not as convenient or elegant but it does the job. I'm working on a better solution.

lather said:
If you ride a lot of miles loaded on bumpy roads even well drilled holes will "waller out" a bit, making the pins a loose fit. One of mine did (the one my wife loads up  :-[) A suitable size cotter pin solved the problem. Not as convenient or elegant but it does the job. I'm working on a better solution.
Get a washer that the pin barley fits threw, Once the pin is in place push the washer over the pin & ball & it will keep it from working out  :beerchug:

Zarticus said:
lather said:
Get a washer that the pin barley fits threw, Once the pin is in place push the washer over the pin & ball & it will keep it from working out  :beerchug:
That's what I was thinking about, actually gluing the washer in place. Not sure if glue will stick considering the plastic.

KennyS said:
Has this really been a big problem..it seemed to me that once they bags were on and locked they were pretty darn secured....have any of you had these actually fall off or are you doing this pin mod because you read the thread.
I have been to  many COG events and I always hear about  and/or see a bag that has come off  so I would say it is not a big problem until it happens to you. :beerchug:

LennyK said:
MAN OF BLUES said:
bag pinning...re-dux

note:

Is 3/16 the max dia. you can go with the hole?

I did this a couple of years ago, and have had zero problems.  However, I did notice the Allen head bolts that hold the plastic end pieces in place, were loose, so I lock-tited them

Thanks again for the post, MOB....just pinned mine tonight.  Peace of mind and pretty clever solution.

Funny finding this post as I have recently viewed a report about pinned bag's on the Connie.
Is having a bag fly off a common problem, or is this more procautionary?

Tim,
'08 and nine had a recall for the latches. 10 and up had the new style latches installed already from the factory. There are a few instances of lost bags on the later bikes. Pin them and forget it or not. I have not lost one yet and do not have mine pinned. I have been planning on pinning them for three plus years now!
Matt

I have been using the Retainers that are mentioned earlier in the post since abt 2009.  First on my 08 and than on the 12.  There is no drilling.  These are made by a guy COG member and have worked great for me over the years.  In all fairness they are just steel  wire that is vinyl coated so they will not scratch the mating surfaces.  They retainers are bent in a way to keep the bags from bouncing loose.  There is probably less than a bucks worth of material but they do the job and provide piece of mind.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-14-GTR-1400-All-Years-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-/282381764144?hash=item41bf43c630:m:mdGKJ3leZzehEG9NroLGOSw

Fred
Wa2gzw

Fred_Wa2gzw said:
I have been using the Retainers that are mentioned earlier in the post since abt 2009.  First on my 08 and than on the 12.  There is no drilling.  These are made by a guy COG member and have worked great for me over the years.  In all fairness they are just steel  wire that is vinyl coated so they will not scratch the mating surfaces.  They retainers are bent in a way to keep the bags from bouncing loose.  There is probably less than a bucks worth of material but they do the job and provide piece of mind.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-14-GTR-1400-All-Years-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-/282381764144?hash=item41bf43c630:m:mdGKJ3leZzehEG9NroLGOSw

Fred
Wa2gzw

I have also been using these since 2010 and have never ever had an issue.

Being a bit of a cheap-skate, I didn't want to pay US$14 + the same again postage so I bent my own with a very heavy gauge SS fencing wire.  Then used heat shrink tubing to make them look nice.  You'd never know they were there.  They don't restrict me opening the bags and takes all of 3 seconds to remove or replace them.  No way can the panniers come off with these in place.  :beerchug:

i must be the luckiest sob in the world.. put 85k on my 09 and never lost a bag, even at triple digit speeds. :popcorncouple:

Larry said:
Ditto on these....I have had them for almost 2 years and they work great.....I hate drilling holes in my motorcycle when there is a fairly cheap, rock solid alternative. I'm amazed how solid they are....zero movement!!

oldnslo_MO said:
i must be the luckiest sob in the world.. put 85k on my 09 and never lost a bag, even at triple digit speeds. :popcorncouple:
i think i gave the wrong impression, i never pinned anything, just the stock latch system... :whoo:

My Reply #56 was actually asking Reply #55 Bowyerv to share a picture of his version..........
Thanks if you can. Or can't. 

Theft is the main reason I "pin" my bags into place.

Fear of the bags falling off the bike while underway is secondary.

Pinning adds time and difficulty for some slob to forcefully remove your bag(s).

I'm not going to describe the forceful method here. It is well known from years ago.

Without pinning, your C14 bags can be removed easily.

Try it?

Theft?
Never cosidered that...
Its a Concours...

Anyone with a ball peen hammer will surely say why take a bag... I want the contents...

Boy, you guys are just making me feel all warm and fuzzy... Falling off, no, theft, no, hammering... How about a chainsaw, did you even think about that possibility?

Jorge said:
Boy, you guys are just making me feel all warm and fuzzy... Falling off, no, theft, no, hammering... How about a chainsaw, did you even think about that possibility?
I found out about this unlawful bag removal on this forum in 2009.
It's unfortunate, it doesn't happen a lot but it does happen.
Tank bags and saddle bags are targets for slobs.

I'm guessing chainsaws make too much noise!

Don't know why I can't see any of the photos posted. I'm a paying member and all! No computer I use makes any difference.

Salish14 said:
Don't know why I can't see any of the photos posted. I'm a paying member and all! No computer I use makes any difference.

Because Photobucket changed their service so unless you pay a ridiculous price per year, you can't link your photos to forums.

I bought a 2015 Concours 2 months ago. It was sitting in the showroom for 3 yrs. Absolutey love the machine. Anywho, you say to pin the bags. Pin them to what? There were no pics on this thread.

Thank you Harry,

Still working on re doing all my tech collection photos from photo buttkiss... its taking a while... someday they will be available again, but in the meantime I'm pretty much nutted on posting them... :mad:

MOB,

I should put up a tutorial on how to shrink photos to fit so we can get away from the photo-phvckit.
Too bad these forums don't have a built-in utility for shrink-to-fit for big pictures.

Problem is, it is difficult for the average poster to get a grip on resizing pictures.
It ain't always easy.  :(

Harry Martin said:
MOB,

I should put up a tutorial on how to shrink photos to fit so we can get away from the photo-phvckit.
Too bad these forums don't have a built-in utility for shrink-to-fit for big pictures.

Problem is, it is difficult for the average poster to get a grip on resizing pictures.
It ain't always easy.  :(

I've been using software called IrfanView.for about 10 years, freeware, clean, no ads, and you can shrink pics "file size" drastically, without loosing physical size, or definition.. ( there is some loss, but not worthy of mention)..

I just have to get all my "held hostage" photos back in one place again...

Yup, many ways to skin a cat. There are plenty of free options to resize photos.

Another photoediting program that is free (what I use to draw my cartoons) is GIMP. It runs in Windows and Linux, and many many others.

So, I finally bought some hitch pins at Home Depot this weekend of the 1/4" x 2" variety.
Even though I've had Szteve's Pins on my bags since nearly day1 of ownership, I simply felt like "double-pinning" my bags to make ULTRA
certain that they NEVER fly off....call me crazy. (Shut-up MOB!)

I know that i'm kind of particular and take my time installing things, but you guys that install these things in 5 minutes are seriously IMPATIENT!  Took me several hours to get it exactly the way I wanted.

Pics attached, as nobody else had pics of THIS particular install.

Attachments

• BagPins1.jpg
    BagPins1.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 108
  • BagPins2.jpg
    BagPins2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 110
  • BagPins3.jpg
    BagPins3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 100
  • BagPins4.jpg
    BagPins4.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 101
:)) :))

You ain't crazy Nate, that's just called "positive" protection...

Sorry my pics aren't available, I'll upload some tomorrow, showing what I had when I started this all... photophuket site hosed us all...

I wish they had the 3/16" pins at Lowes and other stores... seems the smallest they carry are the 1/4" ones, which are 3x more than needed as far as retention strength goes... the ones I originally used were 3/16" from McMaster Carr, and even those are robust...
Trickiest part of the install initially, was deciding just where to drill, and did take a couple minutes to locate the "sweet spot" between the 2 screws that hold the plastic puck the bag centers on, without drilling into the screws... 1/4" pins make it a really tight fit, that's why I did the 3/16", and truthfully, if I was to start from scratche again, on fresh bags, I would use a 1/8" pin, just as its easier to locate between those existing screws....

Thanks for posting your pics...

MAN OF BLUES said:
:)) :))

You ain't crazy Nate, that's just called "positive" protection...

Sorry my pics aren't available, I'll upload some tomorrow, showing what I had when I started this all... photophuket site hosed us all...

I wish they had the 3/16" pins at Lowes and other stores... seems the smallest they carry are the 1/4" ones, which are 3x more than needed as far as retention strength goes... the ones I originally used were 3/16" from McMaster Carr, and even those are robust...
Trickiest part of the install initially, was deciding just where to drill, and did take a couple minutes to locate the "sweet spot" between the 2 screws that hold the plastic puck the bag centers on, without drilling into the screws... 1/4" pins make it a really tight fit, that's why I did the 3/16", and truthfully, if I was to start from scratche again, on fresh bags, I would use a 1/8" pin, just as its easier to locate between those existing screws....

Thanks for posting your pics...

And TOUCHE' Ser!  :beerchug:

I TOTALLY agree with everything you said, but didn't want to clutter my post with too many observations.  But fair to say, I went back and looked at everybody's pin sizes before I went to home depot, and still couldn't find pics since photosuckit wiped everything off the map -- the majority used the spring-ball-detent at 3/16" like you did.  I wasn't convinced this was the best choice of Pin, so I went with the Hitch pin, and fold-over bale.

You are correct though....1/4" Pin is complete overkill, and given the location and the metal (aluminum) within the bag mount point, 1/8" pins would be MORE than enough to secure the bags.  However, the corresponding length of the retention bale on the HITCH Pins wouldn't be long enough to fold-over the bag mount point, necessitating the use of an overall larger diameter Pin. I ALMOST went up one size, but the Pin was just TOO big.
As it was, the bale 1/4" pin BARELY fit over the mount point, and required me to shave-down the raised edges of the plastic molding on the forward mounting "guides" of the bags.  This may have somewhat weakened the overall rigidity of those mount points, but I think I should be fine, given the overall lack of torsional forces on those pieces.
I DO wonder what will happen to those if I ever go down in a fall, however....but that really wont matter by that point anyway.

The bags BARELY budge now, even with the main lock on the bag disengaged.  It's feasible to think I could ride all day with the lock disengaged, and still keep the bags in place with this pinning.
Once I realized this, I decided to ditch Zteve's Rubber coated brackets, but then later thought two retention brackets is COMPLETE insurance!
Overall, I'd have to say, if you want a no-drill, 100% effective bag retention solution: buy Zteve's brackets.
They're a bit finicky, and easy to lose, but they worked as advertised for me for nearly 20K miles.

Why would you Chance losing your bags when such Inexpensive solutions exist??  If you haven't done either of these solutions, you have no excuses when your bag falls off!

gr