• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Balancing question

strum

I installed my tires and found the previous rear tire had 2 oz of weights.  I ended up using that much too .  The front was same. I even  re broke down the tire and spun it 180 degrees on the rim trying to get there . still ended up with  2 1/4 on the front. Both wheels were heavy at the valve stem.  Seems like a lot . any one else have this much

Yes have seen that. A lot depends on the type of tire, bias or radial.
It's where the belts overlap that it's usually heavy.
I have on track bike balanced the rim then mounted the tire. Some
times it helped sometimes it didn't.

connie_rider said:
Some of the weight your off-setting is the weight of the tire pressure sensor and the rim itself...

Ride safe, Ted

Thats what I thought. next time ill check the wheel with out the tire.

I see you have PR5's, this statement made no sense to me then nor does now. At the Nationals the Michelin rep said every tire that leaves the factory is in perfect balance, yet they typically take more weight than other brands.

Maybe someone else there heard it differently.

Dont know . I removed PR4s and they had a lot of weight also. Use to they had a dot to indicate the lightest part of the tire and we lined it up with the v stem . now thats gone because of what you already said. I can say that by rotating my front tire on the rim 180 it had little if any change.

Just Cliff said:
I see you have PR5's, this statement made no sense to me then nor does now. At the Nationals the Michelin rep said every tire that leaves the factory is in perfect balance, yet they typically take more weight than other brands.

Maybe someone else there heard it differently.

I back you up, I sat thru that great show also, and heard the same things... but I am not fully sure I believe the whole "perfectly balanced" line...
I have not gotten the 5's, i'm still running the older tires, but even then, when I installed them I did actually check the naked rims, with the TPS in place, and "pre-balanced" them... it didn't take much on either rim... and when I installed the tires, even breaking them back down, and rotating them to find "the sweet spot", both actually required what I consider an exceptional amount of weights... almost 2 oz on each...
I really got frustrated after breaking them down twice, and doing the spin... also, I aligned the "barcode" label on the bead, first go around, ended up moving it at least 90* to get closer, but till no "perfect balance"... slapped on a bunch of weights, and said done... :truce:

In addition to mounting and balancing about 70-80 tires every year, I also I my own tires of course.  I would say 1 to 1.5 oz is the norm I see on 17" premium tires.  I also have PR4's on my 2010.  I have 1.5 oz on the front, about 180 deg from the stem, the rear has 1.75 oz about 90 deg from the stem. 

I probably could have balanced the wheel without the tire on it to confirm the heavy spot and then put the tire on and see where the tire was heavy on the perfectly balanced wheel and then started rotating the tire around on the wheel to reduce the weight a little more, but I didn't feel like I had an excessive amount of weight and I knew it was balanced really good.

connie_rider said:
New Area P header's, new tune,,, and nothing out of the norm???

Ride safe, Ted

Well I meant as far as tire balancing but Im still loving the Area P and Steve's tune. :beerchug:
    I went from a 55 rear back to a 50 and the fact that I came off some extremely worn PR4gts so of course its night and day better.
  I can say the PR4s had to me too much early turn in and these are just right. We ripped up Blood Mt very hard which had some patchy wet spots. They never stepped out even a little .  Very stable solid feeling tire. So far I like. :motonoises: