• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

bang

bbarrows

Bicycle
on a couple of ocasions now when starting the beast, there has been a loud sharp bang, like a gun shot, hasn't happened in awhile. i am not versed on thrown rods and such, but I am assuming if i threw a rod the bike would run well, which it does. i was wondering if the starter made the noise? any ideas?

My guess is, and its just a guess... Leaking petcock and float valve. A small amount of extra gas is getting into one cylinder and then into pipes where it can explode in a uncontrolled way at start. That is what you hear. If I am right your a heartbeat away from hydrolocking the engine and might want to jump on the fix. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

that makes sense to me. i have had intermitent petcock problems, question is whether to turn it into a on off deal or do a rebuild?

The best thing you can do is call Murph and order a brand spankin' new one. It lasted a long time the first time, it'll last a long time again. Money well spent if it saves an engine. I hope you haven';t already hydroed a rod. That sounds exactly like what it takes to get that done. I have some bent ones to show you if you like. :)

Rev, could i have bent one and still have the thing still seemingly running well. Not having anything to compare it to I would know but it sounds sweet to me?