• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

bar end throttle control

oldsawfiler

Crotch Rocket
Looking to get a bar end throttle lock.  Anyone have experience with either the "throttle lock" or the "throttle mistier"?  I have the "Cat O-ring" and am NOT interested in the cruse control type.

oldsawfiler said:
Looking to get a bar end throttle lock.  Anyone have experience with either the "throttle lock" or the "throttle mistier"?  I have the "Cat O-ring" and am NOT interested in the cruse control type.

I've had the Throttlemeister for a few years now looks and works great. I put on the heavy model with the brushed finish.

http://throttlemeister.com/

I second Ron on the Throttlemeister.
It was the 2nd farkle I got and the only thing more useful has been the Cee Bailey shield. It is easy to set, easy to override if you need to decelerate quickly, easy to disable and it was easy to install to boot! It is the heavy in black finish and it looks great.  8)

norm-9688 said:
oldsawfiler said:

I've had the Throttlemeister for a few years now looks and works great. I put on the heavy model with the brushed finish.

http://throttlemeister.com/

Ditto. I've had throttlemeisters on a few bikes. They may take a little to get adjusted correctly and to get use to using. But they work great and look like they belong on the bike. Most people don't even realize there's a throttle lock on the bike. And there's nothing extra in your way. If you don't want a full cruise control, the throttlemeister is the next best thing.

oldsawfiler said:

Here is another choice, I don't have any experience with it, but it gets good reviews

http://www.kaoko.com/c186/GTR1400-Concours.aspx

I got one from Manic Salamandar (one of our Industry Members). Easy to install, works great, looks great.

I bought me Throttlemeister last Friday from CASportTouring.com, so I'll let you know when I get them and get them installed.  I had a throttle lock on my last bike.  I didn't use it a TON, but when I wanted it, it was nice to have.  My requirements for throttle-control are simple install, easy use, reliable.  To that end, the Audiovox system from Murph's seemed like lots more than I needed, and a MUCH larger install project, so I went with the Throttlemeisters.

On an unrelated note (sorry for the threadjack), I can't recommend CASportTouring.com. No online order status on a website that takes orders is kind of frustrating. They had to special order my Throttlemeisters, which means I'm not going to get them until 2 weeks after I ordered, by their estimation, and they couldn't send along a backorder notification?  Now, if I'd ordered these for a ride, I'd be a lot more frustrated.  Should have ordered from an Industry Partner or bigger outlet, I know.  ;)

Sorry for the mini-rant.  I'll post what I think about the Throttlemeisters when I get them installed and used.  :)

Dwight said:
I am a new member and need some help. I happened to find your note. Will you please direct me where I can post a classified ad. The bad part is I don't know how to me a message. Could you please email me to help me. I am Dwight Lee in Memphis, TN 

fmt2@bellsouth.net    or call if you have time  901-277-1060  I really appreciate your help. thanks

e-mail sent also... click on COG logo on top (takes you to main page) left side bar click on classifieds. 1st line click on "post a classified"..

oldsawfiler said:
I am looking at Motorcycle Larry or Manic Salimander.  Both are Members with links on the Cogmos page.

A word of caution: Larry was seriously injured in a bicycle accident. So I don't know if the business is back to running somewhat normal. But I do know that people were having problems getting orders and contacting the company. I would suggest contacting them before ordering to make sure they are up and running!

Cap'n Bob said:
oldsawfiler said:
I am looking at Motorcycle Larry or Manic Salimander.  Both are Members with links on the Cogmos page.

A word of caution: Larry was seriously injured in a bicycle accident. So I don't know if the business is back to running somewhat normal. But I do know that people were having problems getting orders and contacting the company. I would suggest contacting them before ordering to make sure they are up and running!

Larry posted on the other COG forum that he is getting better and back to work, don't know if it is limited or full blown

I also have used the Throttle meister on various bikes. I had it them on my original Concours bars then I switched to ATV bars. So I bought the adapter that Marker Machine sells so I could still use them. Works great with the 7/8" ATV bars.

The PO/stealer put them on Vrooomm.  They call for using thread locker.  Use a small amount ON THE BOLT ONLY!!  It's a real PITA to clean out of the mechanism.

It's not a cruise by any stretch.  But for that little bit of hands off the throttle during a 'straight and level' stretch, it's really nice.

I put the heavy ones on my 2006, but have had problems with them staying locked, the throttle grip assembly slides a bit when the throttle is open and as such causes mine to not work as well as it should.

Robert_Elliott_GA said:
I put the heavy ones on my 2006, but have had problems with them staying locked, the throttle grip assembly slides a bit when the throttle is open and as such causes mine to not work as well as it should.

If you are talking about the throttlemeister. It may jut be too thick of washers. They don't need the handgrip to get friction and locking. They lock up to themselves. Try using a thinner washer. Or to test it take the washers out and you should have no problem locking it up.

Looking at mine, it does "lock" on the end of the grip.  Someone, maybe the PO maybe me, trimmed the end of my grip and I'm having trouble with it not holding well.  It works about as good as the Cat O-ring did.  It's OK but could be better.

oldsawfiler said:
Looking at mine, it does "lock" on the end of the grip.  Someone, maybe the PO maybe me, trimmed the end of my grip and I'm having trouble with it not holding well.  It works about as good as the Cat O-ring did.  It's OK but could be better.

AHHHH.. Yeah, I guess in that way it does use grip friction. On install on my t-meister I rolled the grip back and put the hub on then rolled the grip back down, the outer lock provides friction to the bushing hub and the hub to grip holds the throttle in position. I guess new grips are in order...

I have a throttlemiester and use it on the open road.  I just got something for $20 that someone mentioned on one of the sites that I actually like more. 

It is made of plastic, goes around the grip up by the kill switch and you set it but rotating it forward unti it rests on the brake lever.  It is easier to override than the t-miesetr.

I am intrigued, Hess.  I'm in Raytown.  Where did you get this device, and what do they call it?  I've got a problem with hand cramping, and something like this would be welcome to get those short breaks to restore the feeling in my throttle hand.