• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bar risers installed

Tour1

I put on some not-new bar risers a while back.
This is just a quick view of them in response to a question.
If you are using this post as an installaion guide, be aware that the side view is of the right side riser.
The other pics are top views of the left side riser.

Attachments

• RiserPartsLabeled.jpg
    RiserPartsLabeled.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 289
  • Riser-side-small.jpg
    Riser-side-small.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 288
  • Risers-top-small.jpg
    Risers-top-small.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 268
Looks like the Murphs risers I put on when I first got my C-10.
That and knee savers have made all the difference.

I think they're 1-1/4" risers, about the most you can do without swapping cables.  Having survived some butt-puckering moments with the OEM handlebar height I feel like too much height for comfort could be less safe for me to ride.

As I recall my cruiser's bars were wider than the C10 bars.  I expect they would have had more leverage and more travel to get a given turn radius.
It would be nice to see a diagram with various bar heights and set backs (if that's the right word) versus the resulting body position.
I have a couple of books on ergonomics that couldn't hold my attention.  No chapters on motorcycles found so far.
So much work to be done...

Tuning fork bars like those on a C-10 are notorious for causing wrist pain due to the narrow and down angle design. Standard 7/8" bars are flatter and wider. Less wrist pain and better handling, it's a win win scenario. I did the conversion on my C-10 shortly after getting it. When I moved to the FJR that was the first mod I did on it as well.

I just got a new to me 2005 C10 with 2" risers. The handling is obviously much different from my old GL650. I was surprised that the much older GL will 'fall into' a turn much easier than the new bike. The C10 seems to need a more conscious countersteer to lean into a turn. Is this in part caused by the risers? Or is it just a different bike than I'm used to kind of thing?

I just got a new to me 2005 C10 with 2" risers. The handling is obviously much different from my old GL650. I was surprised that the much older GL will 'fall into' a turn much easier than the new bike. The C10 seems to need a more conscious countersteer to lean into a turn. Is this in part caused by the risers? Or is it just a different bike than I'm used to kind of thing?
Probably due to what tires are on it mostly .

Shinko SR777 back and Michelin Pilot Road 3 on the front. Both Stock size. Little bit of wear on the back tire; not squared off by any means.

Shinko SR777 back and Michelin Pilot Road 3 on the front. Both Stock size. Little bit of wear on the back tire; not squared off by any means.
Isnt that pilot a radial ? If so the bias /radial combo may be causing that feeling . The 777 is bias ply I believe .

PR3’s were discontinued last time I changed tires, 2-3 years ago. Could this be a tire age issue?
The date codes are front 2015 and rear 2515. Unfortunate, because despite their age, they hardly have any miles on them.

And yes, the front is a radial, rear is bias ply.

Neither point is ideal, but I would have expected problems to happen once I'm leaned into a turn. Not resistance to turning.

Anyway, I just got the bike plated today. I suspect it's just a getting used to it kind of thing

The date codes are front 2015 and rear 2515. Unfortunate, because despite their age, they hardly have any miles on them.

And yes, the front is a radial, rear is bias ply.

Neither point is ideal, but I would have expected problems to happen once I'm leaned into a turn. Not resistance to turning.

Anyway, I just got the bike plated today. I suspect it's just a getting used to it kind of thing

Good part is when you do put some nice new tires on you'll have a new bike 😀. Bad part.....we totally hijacked this thread 😳. Sorry Tour 1 .

The good news is that someone reading this thread may infer that handlebar risers won't likely adversely affect handling.

its def not the risers. the rake on the (28 degrees) c10 is a bit more extreme by comparison. I think the GL650 is like 4? degrees less.