• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Batter compartment door lost. Thread repair?

lather

I am just back from a 3200 mile two week trip to Wisconsin from Louisiana. I attended the MSTA annual Sport Touring Association Rendezvous in Cape Giradeau. During one of the day rides I lost my battery compartment door. The heat coming out of there was really roasting my thigh!. I patched it up with a tank bag rain cover and some electrical tape and the heat was reduced to a tolerable level.

Anyway back home (and recovering from covid contrcted at the event) I located my spare and installed it. The securing bolts thread is stripped. What is the best tool for thread repair?

I am just back from a 3200 mile two week trip to Wisconsin from Louisiana. I attended the MSTA annual Sport Touring Association Rendezvous in Cape Giradeau. During one of the day rides I lost my battery compartment door. The heat coming out of there was really roasting my thigh!. I patched it up with a tank bag rain cover and some electrical tape and the heat was reduced to a tolerable level.

Anyway back home (and recovering from covid contrcted at the event) I located my spare and installed it. The securing bolts thread is stripped. What is the best tool for thread repair?
I have never heard of anything better than Heli-Coil for repairing threads in aluminum. But then I don't get out as much as I used to.

Amazon sells them and probably your local Grainger Supply or Fastenal store.

Thread is M6x1.0
this one should work --> Link

Time-sert looks good too and maybe much better (do tell Ted), but it's a bit pricy.

Is this for the plastic cover or the metal cover? I'm assuming it's the plastic one...

Personally, for this specific application, I think a Time-sert is a little overkill (and $$) since this is a mostly cosmetic piece and shouldn't have all that much torque applied to the bolt... I'd go Heli-Coil. I've used Helicoils for plenty of things over the years and never had an issue. Most critical part of any of these are making sure you use the correct size drill.

A friend of mine used a Timesert to repair an oil drain plug boss on a Ducati (no separate oil pan) that was destroyed by the PO and it worked great. I'd also lean more toward a Timesert for any suspension or brake components, as the result of a failure can be much more catastrophic. If you do use a Timesert I'd suggest using an epoxy to help hold it in place.

Here's a great article and video: https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-to-fix-stripped-threads-on-your-motorcycle

Let us know what route you take and how it goes!

Thanks for all the replies guys! Yes, it is just the plastic cover and its a collared m6 bolt so going up to a m8 might not fit right. I went with the Bilitools kit that Marty linked. Home Depot had something similar (EZ Loc) but no 2 day shipping. Thanks again!

Lost my battery cover but can't come up with the part number on the diagrams. Looked on upper cowling, battery box and other diagrams. Not sure where to look. 2013 black. Felt it hit the boot but could not find it when I went back a half hour later.

Ordered the helicoil kit.

If anyone knows which part diagram to look on I will get the battery cover ordered. Thanks in advance.

It is sometimes very counter-intuitive which parts diagrams have the stuff you are looking for.

Another odd one is the torque specs in the factory manuals (at least for the C10). When I changed tires last weekend I noticed that you need to look between 3-4 chapters to get all the torque specs (at least if using the visual diagrams, which I prefer, because it's easier to see the correct bolt you are getting the torque value from).