• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Battery State of Charge

peter2011c14

Bicycle
I've noticed that after sitting for 3 or 4 days, the battery display indicates 12.4 volts with the engine off.  According to the manual, the battery should be charged if under 12.6 volts.

I did disable the "warning light" from blinking and after some riding, the battery then displayed at 12.7 volts with the engine off.

Are those that have had their bikes for a while finding a need to have a Battery Tender hooked up to maintain proper voltage?

Thanks,
Peter

I typically keep some sort of automatic trickle charger hooked up to my bikes when I'm not riding just as a matter of habit. Batteries will self discharge on their own, and many newer bikes have a small parasitic drain from clocks and various systems on the bike that also don't help. The hotter the temp, the more important it is to keep a charger on them, as the self discharge rates on lead acid batteries goes up with temperature, and if a lead acid battery is left in even a slightly discharged state for any length of time, it begins to sulfate, which depletes its lifespan and capacity.

agreeed I always have mine hooked up except earlier in the year I cleaned up the garage and unplugged it to sweep.
Had it off for an unknown amount of time showed 10.6 and still started .