• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Battery warning

Fossilrider

Tricycle
Greetings Guys,I am getting a warning message on my C14 that I don't understand.Basically every time I shut it off and restart it I get a message flashing and alternating between "low tire pressure" (which I know is incorrect,over 40 front and rear),and "low battery".After I ride a few minutes it goes away and I get the normal readout.Stop for a few minutes and I get the same thing when I restart it.Any ideas?Thanks,Steve

It's probably the cold temps causing the lithium batteries in the sensors to have a hard time "waking up". They tend to put out low voltage in cold temps until the passivation layer in them breaks down, and then the voltage rises back to normal.  If the message only lasts a minute or two and then goes away, it's probably normal, but if it gets progressively longer and happens even in warmer temps, it may indicate the batteries inside your sensors are starting to go bad.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
It's probably the cold temps causing the lithium batteries in the sensors to have a hard time "waking up". They tend to put out low voltage in cold temps until the passivation layer in them breaks down, and then the voltage rises back to normal.  If the message only lasts a minute or two and then goes away, it's probably normal, but if it gets progressively longer and happens even in warmer temps, it may indicate the batteries inside your sensors are starting to go bad.

What Fred said. They get steadily worse as the batteries start going bad. Then you will have to replace them. The planned life is suppose to be 5 years. Although a lot of folks had them replaced much sooner. Mine were replaced before 3 years because they started doing that at much warmer temps. Thankfully they were covered under warranty.

OK,moving right along here.Now I'm totally confused.I personally have never known of a sensor having a battery in it.Which sensors are we talking about,where are they,where do you get the batteries,how hard are they to replace,and how expensive are they?Sorry for all the questions.I'm really not totally clueless when it comes to mechanical stuff but I confess to being less than sharp on the newer electronic/computer/high-tech stuff.I'm guessing that must be the problem since this has been lasting several minutes each time now.Thanks for the replies.Steve

Not a problem fossil. That's what were about. Not everyone can or will know everything. So to answer your questions.

We're talking about the sensors inside the tires. The TPS sensors which are under the air valves, do use batteries. One for the front tire pressure, one for the rear.  You do not get the batteries and just pop them in. The sensors are not meant to have the batteries replaced. Although it can and has been done. But the battery must be soldered into the sensor. (which was not meant to be taken apart)
Kawasaki plans on you replacing these sensors as the battery age. The expected battery life was suppose to be 5 years. Although so far, they have proven to be much less for a lot of us. Mine were replaced before three years, with over 20,000 miles on the bike. Maybe the newer sensors are better, maybe not. But they will need to be replaced at some point. Although the system might just stop working all together if the batteries went totally dead.
What you are getting is common when the sensors are either in cold weather or when the battery is getting low, or both. When in the cold, the sensors have a problem transmitting. So you get that stupid warning that takes over the whole dash. This can be rest, but normally goes out in 5-10 miles, when the tires warm up (in my experience).
As they get older, mine would do this in warmer and warmer temperatures. Mine started when new in the colder temps. But they got steadily worse. So when I had them replaced when it was obvious that this wasn't just normal cold temp problems. Mine would do this if I was below 60 degrees (cold bike) or less. That's why they replaced mine before 3 years (under warranty).
If it's only doing it when the bike is cold and it's say 40 degrees, for a few miles/minutes. Well that is considered normal. You can either re-set the dash warning or live with it for a short distance until the tires warm up. But if it's doing this constantly in warmer temps (say 50 degrees). Well then your sensors are probably on the way out. Which means replacing the sensors. (Or batteries if you want to chance trying to replace them yourself). If the bike is under warranty and is not a first run 2008 bike. (which are now almost 5 years old) Kawasaki may replace them under warranty.(if still covered). But if your bike is one of the first 08 bikes. They may be at the battery life limits. Then you would probably have to foot the bill yourself.
Replacement means removing the tires. Replacing the sensors. Then programing the new sensors to the computer (a KDS3 programmer is needed). So it's not a cheap proposition. That's why folks have experimented with replacing the batteries in the existing (and already programed) sensors that are on the bike already.
Hope this answered some of your questions. If not ask some more. That's why we all hang out here!  :)

If your bike is under warranty and you are getting close to replacing the tire wait and have the sensor replaced when you need tires, Kawasaki will pay the labor to replace the sensor and just have the dealer put on a new tire instead of the old one. If it is still in warranty you can get a 3 year extended warranty for $339 from these guys, worth more than that if you pay to have the sensor replaced without a warranty.
I was told but don't really know that the new sensors have replaceable batteries, Fred might have some info on that,
$339.00
FROM MY FRIENDS AT ULTIMATE CYCLE:
"Hi  Rich,
Thanks for your help. Kawasaki will send out the gtpp policy and we will
send via us-mail the paid receipt showing purchase date of the product.

Here is what I need to know from each one via e-mail. Getting this
information over the phone causes too many mistakes. However, for those that
do not wish to transmit their credit cards electronically,
they may call in*** their cc # to 804-330-4800 and my extension is 110. ***  "

Email to:    sales(at)UltimateCycle(dot)NET 
remove the (at) and (dot), and do symbols.....

Make sure you take it in on a cold day so the batts give the warning if you are timing the warranty replacement.  I'm disappointed in the battery life and will probably attempt replacement when these go.  I have had a SmarTire unit on my other bike since 2000 and those are still working fine...

Thanks so much for the replies,guys.Makes a little more sense now that I realize the sensors are the ones in the tires.DUH!.I just got this bike early last summer,with 3,900 miles on the clock,so the warranty is long expired.I absolutely LOVE this bike!That said,a few of these little items are where I,personally,think Kawasaki went overboard.I check the tire pressure on all my other bikes on a regular basis and would rather do that than deal with the headache/expense of this.I just started to go for a ride a few weeks ago and the Connie wouldn't start.Pulled the battery and checked it,good.Finally thought of the battery in the FOB.BINGO.If I had been in BFE and this happened,I'm screwed.So,I had new batteries put in both FOBs.I know lots of guys look at guys like me as dinosaurs who can't adjust,and maybe it's true to a degree,but these things are just non-essentials and I would rather see them as optional for the guys who get into that sort of thing.Anyway,my rant for the day.Doesn't matter,just my 2 cents and certainly won't make me sell this otherwise wonderful machine.Thanks again,guys.Foss

If the battery goes bad in your fob. You can still start the bike in RFID mode. You pull the small key out of your fob. Then you slide that open key area of the fob, onto a notch just on top of your ignition housing. The RFID chip should allow the ignition switch to unlock. This is assuming that the fob battery is the problem and not a KIPASS or motorcycle battery problem. This should be spelled out in your owners manual.

Once again,thanks Bob.I wish I had an owner's manual.I guess I need to look up the online one that someone referred me to before and peruse it.Again,old school that I am,I like a "real" manual to hold in my hands and take into my shop.That is amother drawback with buying a bike secondhand,so many guys can't find items like manuals,spare keys(I did get both fobs) and even titles!!.If anyone who reads this knows of a manual floating around that could be bought,please let me know.I haven't researched it but assume,by now,that an aftermarket item might be available (Haynes/Clymer?) although some of them are sketchy.As I said earlier,I love this bike!Saturday was absolutely gorgeous with temps here around 60 degrees so we got out for a run accross Fort mtn. in North Georgia.My riding buddy on his Triumph Daytona and me on the Connie.What more fun thing to do than get out and carve the curves on a great stretch of mountain road that you know like the inside of your pocket?Our winter here is basically (usually) Jan. and Feb. and even during that time we will have days up in the 50s and maybe an occasional low 60s day where we can get out as long as we are back before dark.Very fortunate.Again,thanks for the help.I'll check out the "emergency start" procedure,before I might actually need it.Regards,Foss

Gentlemen does this every end!!! I was planning a trip into Mexico, but each time I read the forum it is again some type of problem with the C 14 electronics‘?  I ride a 2009 C 14, the fob battery has already died, know carry a spare, headlight went out, carry two spares, the KIPASS switch stuck 200 miles from home. (guess I should carry a hammer as one guy suggested)
Then I read, where the TPS sensors which are under the air valves will have to be replace at some point!! Then you have to program the new sensors to the computer (a KDS3 programmer is needed).
Gives you a warm feeling to think of being 500+ miles in Mexico and something happens. I assume the TPS sensors will not disable the bike!!
I guess I should have bought a C 10!!  :(
You know I feel better already, got that off my chest!!!  :) 

No the TPS sensors will not disable the bike. The worst that could happen with that, is you might have to keep resetting the warnings that take over the dash when they start acting up. That and if they are not working at all. You could get a flat and not know it right away.

In the past twenty or so years I have owned five C10s and have ridden them in all lower 48 states,except La. and Ms. (hard to believe with me living in Tn.,go figure!).The only two things that ever were an issue wer the diaphram in the petcock sprung a leak in Washington (50 miles from Cape Flattery,the most northwest point in the lower 48),and the clutch safety switch stuck.Both of which I was able to jury rig and get home.Some on this forum have read my misgivings both before and after the purchase of my C14,and I'll have to say (again) that I feel Kawasaki went a little overboard on the techno wizardry.BUT,every time I get on this bike it makes me smile.A friend who I ride with followed me and another buddy across our favorite mountain stretch (both of them do track days on a semi regular basis) and he said,"I can't believe the way you ride that beast through those mountains".Now,let me say,I'm no great rider but we ride a pretty "brisk" pace,without being stupid.My point is:to be a sport-TOURING bike with the ammenities it has and to be as bulky/heavy as it is,it is a wonderful dance partner.I'm old school basically (I love old Moto Guzzis and have several OSSAs),but if I can come top grips with the tech stuff I need to learn I don't plan on selling this bike anytime soon.It's a steep learning curve for me but I'm trying.All in all though,the C10,dated as it is,is still a great bike,but it's not fair to try to compare it to the C14.Just MHO.Foss

I went from a GSXR-750 to the C 14 .. Why .. long distance riding while retaining a FUN factor .. Did it meet my expectations .. Can I live with a few problems  :)  :)  :)