• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Battleship New Jersey

Cap'n Bob

I've been wanting to do a trip down to the battleship New Jersey. But I have been having a problem with timing and logistics for the last year. But I started thinking. We tend to have a lack of things to do in the winter months. This is especially true with us folks who put their bikes away for the winter.
  So I figured that I would toss this out there to gauge interest. Would anyone be up for a winter trip to run around on the New Jersey? I figured that we could meet somewhere for breakfast. Then head over and check it out. I figure the trade off of it being cold outside may be off set by it being pretty hot in the summer. The website has winter hours listed as: Feb. 2 - March 31:
Saturdays and Sundays, 9:30 am - 3 pm. I'm thinking a Saturday might work if folks are up for it.
  So what do y'all think? I know it probably would not be a motorcycle trip for most. But it is something to do to get together in the winter. Or would the summer months be better, although I may not be able to pull that one off as easy. So sound off, what do y'all think?

Bob

http://www.battleshipnewjersey.org/

This would be a two day trip for me, but I enjoy this type of thing.  I've been to the Wisconsin, in Norfolk, VA, and thought the guided tour was great.  I would try this one, too, if the timing worked out.  Maybe swing over to Pat's for a steak sandwich.  >:D

Oh boy! 
A trip to beautiful downtown Camden, NJ where the chance of being a victim of a violent crime :021: are 1 in 36.
Sounds good to me.  :great:

I've seen the Battleship North Carolina from dockside but did not go on board.  May be it is time for this Navy Vet to finally go on board a ship.  So which tour should we do?

• City At Sea Tour
  • Fire Power Tour
  • General Quarters Tour

If we are going in the Winter it might make sense to car pool down to Camden.  I wonder if it is really necessary to go across the Delaware to get a good Cheese Steak?  Donkey's Place in Camden has a reputation of selling a great,
421.gif
but possibly overpriced, cheese steak.  Of course the location has earned its steak the nickname of the Most Dangerous Cheese Steak in America.

COG-528 said:
[size=11pt]Oh boy! 
A trip to beautiful downtown Camden, NJ where the chance of being a victim of a violent crime :021: are 1 in 36.

I say we get 36 people to go and put a bullseye on the back of Mike just in case his statistics are correct, I'll feel safe.  ;)

Gigantor said:
COG-528 said:
Oh boy! 

[size=10pt]I say we get 36 people to go and put a bullseye on the back of Mike just in case his statistics are correct, I'll feel safe.
;)

I'm okay with that.  I'll just stand in your shadow and they probably won't even know I'm there. :D

We could put Capt'n Bob on point and roll through the neighborhood that I grew up in on the way to the boat.  :eek:

COG-528 said:
Gigantor said:
COG-528 said:
Oh boy! 

[size=10pt]I say we get 36 people to go and put a bullseye on the back of Mike just in case his statistics are correct, I'll feel safe.
;)

I'm okay with that.  I'll just stand in your shadow and they probably won't even know I'm there. :D

Touche Mike, Touche

Since Camden isn't a 'prime' travel destination for most, might I suggest a meeting place, like Bordentown, or join up
somewhere along the way, and the group take the 'River Line' transit train to the Battleship? It will drop you off at the
Battleship/Aquarium area, and it's quite affordable, also providing a transfer bus to Philadelphia for an additional small fee.
Check out the map, and the fee schedule..

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_rvl_map.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/ti/ti_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=LightRailTicketsTo  (Click on River Line to see fares)

Long ride for me as well, but I'm like Glenn, like these type things. Avatar is the Iowa saying good morning to everyone.
:great:

OK it looks like we may have some interest here. I would like to make this for early to mid March. We can make it an overnight if folks are up for that. How about meet Saturday for breakfast or just meet before going on board. Then spend the night at whatever motel for camaraderie. Dispersing Sunday morning on our own.

So what do folks want, make it an overnight or try to do a one day deal? I could probably do either since I will more than likely be caging it down.

Parking in the area of the ship and aquarium is reasonably secure. The roads leading there are fine. Shouldn't be a need to ride in by train.

OK, not a lot of fee back, but it sounds more like the day trip is preferred. So one more question. Do folks want to meet for breakfast first, or just meet at the ship itself. I'm thinking breakfast then going over allows folks to leave when they want (of course they could either way). But I figure a full belly and some conversation before isn't such a bad thing.
  So what do y'all prefer, breakfast first (say 9AM) somewhere or just meet at the ship. The ships hours are as follows:

Feb. 2 - March 31:
Saturdays and Sundays, 9:30 am - 3 pm

I take it you do not have much interest in getting a Phillie Style Cheesesteak after touring the Big J.

Maybe, Mike. The problem with trying to plan things for afterwards, is that folks tend to finish seeing things at different rates. So it's hard to plan after events when doing this type of event. So IMO, that's something that we might have to play by ear and see how folks feel and what time it is first. But I'm not saying no by any means.

Well, we could always meet for breakfast in North Jersey and car pool down to Camden if there isn't any interest in meeting for breakfast near Camden.

So are we going to set a date for this or what?  The weekend of March 2nd-3rd is open on the COG calendar.  The following few Saturdays after that are busy but Sundays are free.

• Sat., 3/9 - Newburgh Meet & Greet
    [*][size=11pt]Sat., 3/16 - CT Meet & Greet
    [*][size=11pt]Sat., 3/23 - MA Meet & Greet + MD Crab Cakes Weekend Ride

[size=11pt]I was thinking about attending the CT Meet & Greet.