• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

be careful when wrenching on your connie

mellow yellow

Street Cruiser
hello all, since it was reasonable warm yesterday (mid fourty) figured I'd do a speedo gear change because the original had stop working before this past winter. everything was going well until I decided to lower the bike to torque the axle nut. my bike's side stand was resting on the dirt so I decided to put a piece of cement board beneath it before lowering her. after she was on the ground, I attempted to tighten the nut, and over she went. I didn't remove the bike lift yet, so that cracked the lower rt. fairing and part of the belly pan. I already have my cda #.  but if I didn't, would this qualify as a drop? after I righted the bike, I noticed that on that part of the driveway the bike was standing more vertical than usual.

mellow yellow said:
my bike's side stand was resting on the dirt so I decided to put a piece of cement board beneath it before lowering her. after she was on the ground, I attempted to tighten the nut, and over she went.

would this qualify as a drop?

Not moving forward, sidestand down, over she goes - yes, that's a Drop.

I'm really sorry this happened to you.  It almost happened to me when I was using a 3' lever to get the oil drain bolt free the first time.  I was lucky - I stopped and went and bought an impact wrench.  Sorry you hurt her, but miracles can be wrought with a little ABS glue and some patience.