• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Beat The Heat Social

Grasshopper

Beat the Heat Social will start July 26 and run through to July 30 in beautiful Maggie Valley at the Creekside Lodge. Come and join fellow riders and enjoy the amazing area roads! This is the same location as last year. The lodge underwent a renovation over the winter. They have removed the pool and hope to have a pavilion in its place by the time the social starts.

Lodging

Hotel reservation Phone: 828-926-1301. If they don't pick-up, leave a message and they will call you back.

Ask for the Concours Owners Group group rate.
Regular rooms, 2 Queens $104
Creekside rooms, 2 Queens $124
Creekside rooms, 1 King plus Jacuzzi $129

There are fire pits by the creek, a must for any Southeast gathering! Check out the pictures at: Creeksidelodge.com

Please register online so we know who to expect.

Registration/Fees

The are no registration fees, but we're asking everyone to register online so we know who to expect. Registration will close at 11:59pm Sunday, July 23rd.

I'm going to see what I can do about taking a few days off work to make this one.

Went for a weekend ride on the BRP last year and stayed at the lodge. Not fancy, but very tidy and friendly and morning coffee overlooking the creek was worth it all. Woke up in the morning, rode out to breakfast and then over to Wheels Through Time.

Looking at making this one....

Hey Harry, u doing a t shirt for it... I can see a c10 and a c14 blazing away at speed from the heat wave/fire of summer ... feel free to embellish on the idea.....lol

Holy crap! This is right around the corner! Not just from me, but in just a couple few weeks! Wooohooo!

And a little bump for attendance. :cool:

Mike

I thought about taking Thursday and Friday off for this but my coworker is out that week so no-go. I did put in for the following Monday and Tuesday so I should be around Saturday and Sunday.

Holy crap! This is right around the corner! Not just from me, but in just a couple few weeks! Wooohooo!

And a little bump for attendance. :cool:

Mike

I think it snuck up on all of us who were traveling in June.

Finally booked the room. We should be in range of Maggie Saturday afternoon. Should I expect everyone will be out and about until the evening?

I'll be stopping over at Angelo's Pizza in Waynesville at least once. If anyone else is interested check the menu below. Pretty good food and beer on tap.

We’re (Katie and I) still a “maybe” depending on the progress of a construction project at the house. Hope to see you there.

I am in:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:; breaking off my SC State Park visiting for a long weekend with the gang ... and the Blue Ridge Parkway!! My plans include The Rattler to Hot Springs for lunch, elk-watching at the Oconaluftee visitor center in Cherokee, a visit and raffle tickets at Wheels Thru Time, and some creekside time by the fire...aah, yesss...

Last edited:
I'll be stopping over at Angelo's Pizza in Waynesville at least once. If anyone else is interested check the menu below. Pretty good food and beer on tap.

Their trout picata sounds good to me; they close at 8 most nights. You thinking a lunch stop or early dinner? Let me know, I'll be on my silverdammit '19, Miss Traveller. See you there!

It's too close to HQ for lunch. I was thinking around 6:30 or7 on Thursday..... Friday and Saturday are real busy. I'll arrive at creekside Thursday afternoon and head over to Angelo's after getting settled in. It doesn't need to be an organized deal, small groups of 2 to 4 work best without setting up an actual reservation for a group.

Hey guys, please remember to register if you’re coming out/over/down/up/whatever, even for the day, so everyone else will know to look for you. It only takes a minute.
Thanks

15 signed up so far, counting guests. I'll be arriving Wednesday afternoon; planning route now to check off at least one SC park on the way...

I'll be wandering in sometime after 3 or 4 on Thursday. Put in a half day of 'work' and I don't have to take a whole day off! But from Greer, only a 2.5 or 3 hour beebop over the mountain for me on 276.

I kinda like the idea of Sliding Rock - except the getting up the nerve to slide down it! Does look like fun.

Mike

Thanks to everyone who signed up. It is going to be pretty much like last year, Kurt is going to bring his griddle and we will figure out meals once we get there. Thanks Kurt!!
Doug is looking into a group tour so look for more details on that.

Their trout picata sounds good to me; they close at 8 most nights. You thinking a lunch stop or early dinner? Let me know, I'll be on my silverdammit '19, Miss Traveller. See you there!
I vote dinner there the first night, Thursday. The roads will be busy Saturday so it's probably the best time for sliding rock

Hi Douglas,

Thank you for planning a stop to the museum with your group! While we don't offer a traditional guided tour, there are several staff members throughout the museum who talk about the bikes, answer questions and even start them up! As long as they have gas in them :) We have 38,000 square feet of All American made motorcycles that all run so there's a lot to look at! Most people spend around 2 - 2 1/2 hours in the museum and some much longer - you make the visit as long as you want. We're open 10 am - 5 pm Thursday through Monday.

We do offer discounted rates for groups. The price for each person in your group is $12. Please let the ladies at the register know you are with the COG group to receive the rate. Everyone can pay separately.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you.

Sincerely,
Daphane Brown

Dale's Wheels Through Time Museum
(828) 926-6266
wheelsthroughtime.com

It’s looking like I will be there Saturday afternoon late depending on my departure time from here.

What's the status on elk Is it like bison stay far far away or is it more like deer where we don't have to be afraid because they're more afraid of us?

Watch for elk in the meadows, especially near the visitor center. Pretty cool to see them in the eastern U.S.

Last year I was directed to the Oconaluftee visitor center by NPS rangers up on the BRP. There's a right-turn lane there that the rangers cone off in the late afternoons so folks can pull over and elk-watch. I think this year I'll park at the visitor center itself and see what they have there and at the adjacent homestead/museum. I'm also bringing a better camera and maybe a tripod.

There's a road over towards Waynesville that takes you into the Cataloochee Valley, where the elk project started in 2001, but part of it is gravel. Anyone ever taken a Connie over Cove Creek Road?

Also, thanks to Doug for getting us the group rate at Wheels Thru Time. $15 is a great deal for this museum, but $12 (the old geezer price) is even better! I'll be buying a handful of raffle tickets myself. The raffle bike this year is a '37 Knuckle bobber, in Silverdammit to match Miss Traveller!

What's the status on elk Is it like bison stay far far away or is it more like deer where we don't have to be afraid because they're more afraid of us?

During mating season (now), the male elk each gather 15-20 females and their young in a "harem," which they guard jealously. Several harems may share a larger field. It is actually illegal to approach elk when they are feeding in the open fields in the park. Park Rangers enforce this policy with a sort of velvet-glove attitude. They want visitors, of course, but having a tourist trampled by a pissed-off elk would be bad for business. These animals are quite large and have been known to challenge cars that they see as threatening their harem. So a safe distance is best when observing them.

Hey, actually doing an extended rally this time around. Who's arriving Wednesday? I'm headed up and over east from NW Georgia.

Don't know how much heat we will beat this weekend. This 'heat dome' is ratcheting up the toast factor.

Keep the heat in mind y'all as you head this way. Make sure to partake of some fine, high quality H20 along the way!
1690372141202.png
Mike

We have 19 registered and Doug is bringing another 4. I’ll be there early afternoon. It’s about 4 1/2 hours from Ellijay, twisty route. Looking forward to seeing everyone! Thinking dinner, the first night, at a nearby restaurant. Open to suggestions, for those of familiar with area. Someplace we can walk to would be good. There’s always the Smoky Falls Lodge where we ate last year. I’ll try to remember to leave a message with front desk if we go somewhere else.

Went back and looked at the list. I thought I registered, but seems not. Either way, will be there Saturday afternoon-ish with my wife.

About 25(?)with some local additions and future club members. Awesome. While we didn’t Beat the Heat all of the time, it wasn’t too bad.

Got home Sunday about mid-day after a Joey’s Pancake House breakfast. Nice to see everyone even though I was late getting there. See you same weekend next year.

Excellent support by Kurt Brown and Crew and organization by “Fireman Phil” (Ilingworth)! Thank you SO much!!

Ron

Had a good time, thanks to everyone that had a hand in it!

We made good time getting home, made it in right at 10 hours.

Left Maggie Valley this morning. Good to see everyone even if just Saturday,

My friend and I made it to Gatlinburg as planned yesterday - decided to just continue on to 129 since it was a weekday and not crowded. Interesting road but don't think I'll go again.

Last edited: