• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best front and rear tire set up

holeshot308

Training Wheels
Need some help selecting a rear tire for an 06 Concours. Running a sport/touring Bridgestone right now and need to replace it with something better. Where I live the streets are so old they are like riding in the rain!! The rear end has a tendency to try and slide out from under you even when cornering at slow speeds!! NOT GOOD! I know that I'm limited on the width due to the clearance between the swingarm and shaft but there has got to be something better out there!!!!!!!! I don't care if the mileage is decreased due to a softer compound tire, I just need the widest, softest compound tire available. As everyone knows that rides a Concours there is a BIG problem getting all of the horsepower to the ground. Even with the Bridgestone I can still light up the back tire going into third gear and that's with the rear bags mounted and fully loaded. While we're on the subject a good wide sticky front tire would also come in handy. I've looked at several tires and like everything else EVERYONE has the best tire for you. Yea, right!! I'd like to know what is really working in the real world. I do most of my riding on the Interstates but really need something that will work better for in town riding. Would really appreciate any help on this. THANKS!!! Holeshot 308 :motonoises: Ok, decided on the Avons. NOW which ones will give the best traction and what sizes do I need to run??? (Really a dumbass when it comes to tires, all I really know is they are round, usually black and good ones aren't cheap!!

Hey I hear Murph is now carrying Avons.  That would be my choice if you want stick.

I posted pics of my dreaded Metzler 880s in the thread Cap'n bob linked you to.  Avoid those like the plague unless you ride like your Grandma.  Super long wearing, super low stick. 

I just took delivery of a new front/rear set of Bridgestone BT45 Battlaxes.  I live in mostly rainy, colder weather in Portland (OR) area, with about 10-12 weeks of the best summer riding anywhere in the U.S.  In general, most frequent commentary on the forums indicated the Bridgestones second to the Avons for sticky-ness.  All mention of Avons (Storm, Azarro, others) could be summed up as high stick, fast wear.

Sticky = Avons

Good luck!

Checking out the tire thing and have decided to go with the Avons, not as concerned about  overall mileage as I am with traction. The town I live in has streets that are so old and undermaintained that they are slick as glass. Don't like the feeling I get when I take a corner slowly and I can feel the ass end break loose!! You'd expect that on wet pavement but the biggest problem here in South Central Texas is that the dust builds up on the pavement and makes it slick as hell!! Even stopping slowlw the rear tire will skid on the dust, really sucks.  Any suggestions about which Avon tires would be best, and here I go sounding like a dumdass but what size front and rear would I run on an 2006 model?? :motonoises: Plus, how do I contact "Murphs"?

Ok, found "Murphs Kits" online and all my problems are now solved!!! Going with the set of Avons he has. Seen these elswere and he is by far the cheapest!!! Plus the free shipping doesn't hurt either!!! Thanks for everyones help!! Holeshot :motonoises: