• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best or Worse Windshield for catching bugs

mitchvon

Mini Bike
Any opinions on the worse windshield for catching bugs? I vote for the stock shield. Mine was covered yesterday and as an added feature, any bugs that miss the shield are directed to sheild on my helmet. Every stop I cleaned both but alas it was futile. Does the CeeBailey or Rifle reduce this problem?

Nope. they catch lots of bugs too. Myself I dont bother. I let the windshield catch all the bugs it wants and clean them off when I get home. I do however keep the face shield on the helmet clean, since this is the part I look through the most. Here the height of the shield and air flow patters can make a difference on how many bugs are landing on the face shield. Have used both a CB and a Rifle and with both the air flow pattern was such that riding with the face shield open was nice. No real wind buffeting in the glasses or face. But bugs still on in there. They would occasionally hit the glasses. This sucks. So I keep the shield down. It collects bugs too, but at a slower rate than the stock shield. You'll be seeing a few of these from me today. Enter the Laminar Lip. The air flow pattern lets the least amount of bugs through. 1175mi over Memorial weekend only 1 bug made it to the shield. Never bothered to clean the face shield for the entire ride. -- The Rifle with the Laminar Lip though is a different story. Pleny of bugs there. 2003 Concours, 61K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

IMHO, the standard windshield caught more than the Rifle I had and the Cee Bailey I have now. The standard windshield would catch skeeters on the curve before the redirected airflow could shoot them past my head. What insects were deflected though did NOT splatter on my faceshield. However, the wind buffeting off the standard shield was more than the Rifle so I looked for a better solution. The Rifle windshield was on the bike when I bought it. The wind buffeting was tolerable in the Fall when I bought the cycle last year. This Spring I got bit by a 15mph gravel-lined curve that ate the Rifle up. I put the standard screen back on, ate bugs, and ordered a 26.5" Cee Bailey in clear with a vent. I am very pleased with the wind flow around the Cee Bailey. I ride in mosquito-layered countryside of America's Dairyland, Wisconsin. Farms attract flies so country riding means clearing a path through bug-infested territory. When I ride on Interstate 94 from Milwaukee to Kenosha for my summer commute, the Cee Bailey is very smooth at freeway speeds. The Rifle shield made the front wheel 'squirrelly' at freeway speeds (and higher). The stock shield was fine on the freeway too. My vote for worst bug-filled windshield is the standard size. My favorite windshield is the Cee Bailey. That's my story... :8|:

My experience: w/ the stock shield I rarely got a bug to hit my face or helmet. Got a Cbailey 24 inch w/vent and have had all manner of bugs hit my face/glasses, and lately, a dragon fly got stuck in the vent. I love the look of the CeeB shield but have never had so many bugs hit me. Note: most of the contacts with bugs happen in the N.Ga mountains. And, last week some kind of monster of a bug/black beetle, came out of my right vision, caught in the up-slope of the shield and hit the topside of my helmet. It must have been at least a 1.5" wide bug! Made a hell of a noise. Can't imagine our fellow riders without windscreens, let alone face shields, being hit by some of the wildlife out there. I'm 5'11', 200lbs w/stock seat.