• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Best tank bag for a C10

ZIGZAG

Training Wheels
Looking for a magnetic tank bag for my C10. What's the best fitting bag? Don't want a gargantuan model, nor do I want one that's absolutely lost on the big tank. I don't use any electronic devices (GPS, MP3 player,) so wire routing is unimportant. A good size map pocket is a plus. Any horror stories about magnets damaging tank? As an alternative, any experience out there with tank bags that attach to the gas cap ring? Thanks in advance for any feedback. Been a long (and still brutal) winter in NY... riding season can't get here fast enough.

I bet most of us are still looking for that perfect tank bag.  My requirements are one that stays on at speed w/o the goofy safety strap, plenty of well padded, strong magnets, a large central storage section, with pockets on the outside, waterproof or comes with a rain cover, and a large easy to use map holder.  I use a Wolfman bag. It meets most my needs. Sometimes I would like a bigger bag, sometimes smaller.  Magnets can ding the tank if left to slap down.

Brian, I have a few if you want to try them on your bike. I used a Cortech mini on my first C10. (I don't have that one anymore) Now I have two Chase Harper's and another strap on (I can't remember the name of it. (it came with my new/old C10, so I haven't tried it yet) I like my Chase Harper's. I have a 450 for close to home, and a 650 when I want a little more room. But neither are big tank bags. I don't like big tanks bags either. But they're not tiny either.
Since you only live down the road. You can try them on! I'm not great with remembering names well, but IIRC, you came to a meet & greet last year (we talked about your tavern and wife). This is you correct?
Send me a PM or give me a call if you like, we can talk!

Bob

I have a FieldSh$t tank bag that I really like the size, pockets, etc. built in rain cover and straps that let it convert to a backpack. Too bad the zipper broke the first time I used it. Milked it with the broken zipper for a few years. It was a tri-bag type. Never used them both together that would be huge. I really liked the bottom one standalone. But it broke first time I used it. On the next ride I used just the top section and the material tears out in the corner. Top section has no pockets, etc. The bottom section was perfect.  Both are  damaged the first time they are used. Bought on closeout so vendor would not let me return.

Now I have a Nelson-Rigg like the quality much better. Has all the same basic features, however the cover and strap is not attached and does not have its own little storage place. Takes extra room from your bag, etc. The strap is not backpack style bug shoulder strap style. Overall the quality is higher and has nice features, just not as convenient and laid out as well as the Field$hit was. -- When shopping for a new bag I always kept comparing it to the Field$hit and wanting to match up. Could not find anything that was the same size, pockets and layout of features. Too bad the quality of the product was crap.

I like my Marsee 10l bag.  It's the one with foam sides and a polycarbonate covered top compartment that doubles as a green house until you put a map over the top of the stuff in the top, then it's fine ;)

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/Marsee10LPocketRocket/MarseeTankBags2

I keep my intercom, radio and GPS in it.  Radio and GPS in the top, intercom and a couple other sundries in the bottom.  Fits on the tank like it was MADE for the C10.  Doesn't get in the way at all, opens and stays open but doesn't hit the dash, etc, etc.  Inside is silver so you can find stuff in it.  I thought that would be a BS feature, but it's actually really nice in the morning and evening before the sun is fully up.

I have a Large Nelson-Rigg expandable with expandable side pockets.  Attaches with magnets that are pretty strong; I've never had it budge at all.  It's perfect for me and I also have a matching tail bag.

To be honest I don't think they still make it, which is a shame because after 6years it's starting to fade from the sun. 

I have one from Nelson-Riggs that has a main magnet and 2 magnets on each side in the flaps, so I never worry about this thing flying off. It has a second zipper for expanding it and let me tell you, it can take some gear. It also has a smaller zipper pocket on top for phones, etc. and a removable map bag that velcros to the top. I have some pics and will post when I get home and can get them off my phone.
Bump for pics even, sorry for the rainy pictures.
DSCI0241.jpg

Personally, I'd go with a Chase Harper; lifetime warranty.  This is a VERY personal decision though; almost as bad as an oil or tire thread.

I've found that tankbags are like a lot of things.  As soon as you have one, you find another you like even better.

Can't go wrong with Chase Harper.  I got a pair of their saddle bags for a previous bike and they're still my favorite pieces of luggage.

Have two Marsee tank bags and one OE Kawaski bag.  I like 'em all for different things, but the one I mentioned above is the one I use the most since it's foam sides and construction are supposed to be fairly water resistant.  Never had problems in the others that are just nylon tho' just using plastic bags to protect the stuff from getting soaked.  The nylon kept the direct rain and splash off, so just hand to keep the dribbles and pooling out.

I have a Chase Harper Sport Tour that I've been very happy with for the past seven years.  Even sent it back to the factory to have it's main compartment zippers replaced last year, only cost me shipping one way.  Needed a bag large enough for my laptop and IT gear for work travel, and it's been my carryon bag for more flights than I care to remember.  Well made, sturdy, good company.  Murph carries them I believe, too.  I use the strap version as I don't trust magnets near my electronics and travel cards, but it comes in a magnetic version also, iirc.  :)

I have a Tourmaster Cortech bag. Nice bag as I have had two of the older TB-12 magnetic bags and they both did very well for a great price. I just totally wore them both out over a very long time.

2linby said:
I have a Tourmaster Cortech bag.

Same here, although it is a lot smaller than a lot of other bags I have seen.  If / when I replace it I am going to go larger, but there are some times the smaller size is nice (my wife calls it my man-purse) because I am always taking it inside when we are on trips as it will have the essentials and high dollar items...

I bought a GIVI top box and while looking at their catalogue noticed that they also had a line of matching tank bags[who knew].I took a chance and ordered one and after a full season of use I can say I love it.....most of the scratches caused by tank bags are not caused by the bags themselves but rather tiny pieces of metal flotsam and jetsam which is attracted by the magnets....the key is to give the magnets a wipe each time you put the bag on the bike and use a quality wax.....Crisco

Ended up buying a Firstgear Silverstone Tank Bag II from our new Kawasaki dealer, Big Boyz Toyz, in Newburgh. About $130 bucks, with included rain cover, plus the entire bag can be unzipped from the magnetic base, leaving a large map pocket attached to the tank. The silver looks great on my '02. The one caveat... if positioned incorrectly, the back magnets won't sit flush on the tank surface... need to mount it by trial and error. Once mounted properly, everything is easily accessible, and the interior's silver lining makes it easier to sort through the contents.

I have been using a Nelson-Rigg CL-300 magnetic mount for about six months.  It fits nicely on the tank without being too tall and has enough storage to meet my needs.  I have been very satisfied with this tank bag.

I am running a Marsee magnetic that they now only make in the Corona Mount (boo hoo).  It's a great bag and expandable, plus had my map cover wear out and RPM Warehouse replaced it with what they had in stock (for free).

Robert_Elliott_GA said:
I am running a Marsee magnetic that they now only make in the Corona Mount (boo hoo). 

If the Corona mount the one that bolts to the gas cap?  It looks nifty.  The bag securely fastens to the tank with a 1/4 <?> turn onto the mount.  It's been awhile since I looked at it, but IIRC there's no magnets, tethers, straps, etc.  Only problem was the mount was as much as the bag?! 

Still, a slick system.

I've seen a few of those gas cap mounts and I really like them. Just pull the release cord and bag pops off for filling. Its really secure and doesn't move around at all when riding.

Its about 4th down on my list of things to do for the bike.

Ctchrisf said:
I've seen a few of those gas cap mounts and I really like them. Just pull the release cord and bag pops off for filling. Its really secure and doesn't move around at all when riding.

Looking at Givi's web page since I didn't know they made bags, I saw they have a mounting system that sounds similar to Marsee's Corona system.  I don't see a compatible ring for the C10 tho' :(

http://www.giviusa.com/soft-luggages/Tank-bags/T480-TANKLOCK

Ctchrisf said:

I just bought a Bagsconnection with the SWmoto ring. It does seem pretty slick. But I really haven't gotten a chance to use it yet.

I just bought a really trick tank bag at my local Kawi dealer. It is a motorcentric and is mounted with padded magnets. Easy on easy off but even at extremely high speeds it's on there rock solid. Well made, doesn't scratch the paint, perfect size.
check it out here:

http://www.motocentricusa.com/

I hope that's soon, Bob! So sorry that I missed the BBQ jaunt. My saddle time has been quite abbreviated lately, and not just on account of the weather. (We don't have to wait for a Meet'n'Greet, either.) Hope you're getting some good miles in... Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
Ctchrisf said:

I just bought a Bagsconnection with the SWmoto ring. It does seem pretty slick. But I really haven't gotten a chance to use it yet.

I have the Bag Connections Trial QL that mounts on the gas ring which is "electrified". It is a big bag, which is nice when the wife is ridding with me. They also have in the front of the bag an option mount that you can add a GPS, Phone, CB, etc to.

I've been using the bag for over a year, and am very happy with it. I got mine through Twisted Trottle.

Kurt

Take a look at the Motopak GT 27 on their website.  I used one for three years on my '98 Connie and never had any problems at all.  It's magnetic and fits the tank top like it was made for it.  It expands when needed and includes a built-in rain cover.  Good bag at a pretty good price.  Mike in Mansfield