• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

bike lift for tire/wheel/suspension work

John_Atkinson

I have a motorcycle jack from Canadian Tire (up here in the Great White North) that I was given as a gift.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/CreepersJacksStands/PRD~0091015P/Motorcycle+Jack.jsp?locale=en

From what I can tell, it is similar to (maybe even identical to) other lifts available through Harbor Freight and the like.

Can anyone comment on the suitability (or lack thereof) of these units for use with the Concours?

I'd never dare lifting my bike with one of those.......    ;)

1372100048052071584S600x600Q85.jpg

Set the stand under the bike from the rightside with the bike on its sidestand. Then pull the bike vertical while straightening the handlebars. with the leftside lift pad just underneath the suspension link slowly raise the stand until it comes into contact with the suspension link and the belly pan underneath the cross member. You have to pick the "sweet spot". Make sure the bike lifts evening front to back slowing. I've always done it with the belly pan in place and if you are patient lifting the bike all will be fine and have the strap already set over the seat but loose enough than it will eventually tighten up when in the full lift position.  Also with the bike slightly elevated screw down the four floor screws to hold everything in place.

Also make sure you do all the significant fastener loosening with the bike on the ground.

John_Atkinson said:
thanks 2linby...much appreciated!

Is there any point in taking the belly pan off?

All depends on your comfort level. If when you start to lift the bike the pan starts to make too much noise from flexing, then lower the bike, remove the bell pan and re-lift. Your call.

Again when lifting the bike do it slowly so you are certain the bike is "square" to the stand. Also make sure the lift "lock bar" is in place and make sure you lift the stand enough to pull the "lock bar" out of position when you lower the bike back to the ground.

thx....I have done Bergmen's belly pan mod since I have his SPOOFAK so I may tend to err on the side of caution and take the belly pan off

just the paranoid side of me coming out..............

Or you could try this. I've used this for years, it works GREAT.

http://www.intruderalert.com/workshop/tips_display.cfm?workID=8 8) 8)

It’s a grant site. They can answer any  and all of your questions. I have a 2001 S50. I love it. What’s your wife got?

little dave said:
It’s a grant site. They can answer any  and all of your questions. I have a 2001 S50. I love it. What’s your wife got?
dave, she's got a 2006 S50 and loves it! She had a C50 before that and it was far too big and heavy a bike for her.....she traded it on the S50 and has never looked back.