• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bike running rough, kicking fumes

santacruzrider

I'm about 8 months into ownership of a 94, have put 13k miles on so far and am just loving this bike. So far all I've done to the bike is change the oil, change a front tire and replace a few part that dropped off from the PO and went un-noticed (silly stuff like an engine mount, bolts holding on the fairing tube, etc.) This morning I took my son to school and on the way home the bike felt like it was lugging at low speed, almost like it's missing a cylinder or one cylinder isn't firing right. It's also intermittently kicking more exhaust (not necessarily at the tailpipe, I'm just smelling it). I'm assuming this is a sign of incomplete fuel combustion somewhere. At first I thought that maybe this was being caused by the put-put in town trip to the school as opposed to my canyon-->freeway drive to work. But it was still doing it when I opened her up on the fwy later that p.m. She even momentarily balked at starting when I was at school (much to the horror of my son who's friends were all watching). Any thoughts on a fix? I've yet to check air cleaners -- could that be it? Could it be carb synching or gumming? Thanks for any suggestions that keep me on the road and out of the shop. Dan COG #8702

My first thought would be something in the gas. I would put the bike on the centerstand and drain the carbs one by one. If you don't have hoses on them just use one hose and move it from carb to carb. Try and catch the gas in a clear cup or glass so you can see if any water or sediment came out. Once you drain the first carb, turn the petcock on prime and let it flow a few seconds. Do this for each carb. This might fix it..... David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

When did you change the oil in the bike did you overfill it? Put the bike up on the centerstand on level ground and check the oil sight glass the following morning. If you can't see anything but oil in the sight glass you might want to drain a little oil until the oil is at the top line on the sight glass. Maybe you have some critters making a nest in the airbox? If you see a nest evict them and clean the airbox. Pull the air filter and wash it if you have any question on how clean it is (if it is the stock filter). Let it dry, then re-oil it. Maybe you got a bad batch of gas? Follow Dave's instructions. I was thinking that maybe you get some rain water/oil in the #1 spark plug boot but you didn't say anything about doing a tune up on the bike. Everyone knows that it doesn't rain in S. California anyhow. :) Let us know what you find.

Air cleaner was the culprit. The thing was so old that it was starting to tear and turn into a paste. Actually, I'm surprised the bike ran as well as it did. While I was at it, I pulled all the fairings and replaced 4 broken tabs. Even found that one of the main bolts that holds the fairing to the frame was missing, so popped a new one in and now she feels more solid than ever. Oil change for kicks, reset idle to spec and she runs better than I thought possible. I thought the throttle hesistation and fairing rattle was part of the experience, but now I'll have to get used to acceleration and the sound of the engine. Thanks for the suggestions. Dan COG #8702

Learn something from Dan people. If you get a new to you bike check, change and tuneup the thing before you do 13k. There might not be any air filter, oil in the rear end or who knows what else. Photos[/url]