• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

bike trailers

I've pulled a Piggy Backer (weighs 180 lbs empty) and also a Leesure-Lite pop-up camper (weighs 255 lbs empty) with my C10. Keep your tongue weight around 20-25 lbs and be prepared to feel the trailer "push" you when braking. Both my trailers have swivel hitches on them but neither has electric brakes. Pulling the camper dropped my fuel mileage from ~42 mpg to ~ 35 mpg. The Piggy Backer didn't have as big an impact because it's lighter and smaller (not much wider than the bike).

Remember that the trailer is going to track inside (e.g. understeer) the motorcycle so be especially alert on tight roads and around fuel pumps (hooking the bollard at a fuel pump with your trailer as you leave will spoil your day; I've seen people new to trailering do it).

No Problem with the c-10 blue troll.I built my own from a Harbor freight I bought new and cut up and welded to my own specs! Just be careful and give yourself more stopping room and around corners. I have a swivel hitch and cut it to a 34w x 38w"bed. :beerchug: :beerchug:

Sport Rider said:
I would never pull anything that bright and shiny behind anything other than a Harley!  :rotflmao: :D ;D

Yup. I was thinkin' that is way too shiny and purty to pull behind a Connie.

I pull a utility trailer when both of us go camping on the bike. I use a standard tongue and ball hitch, no worries. On a past bike, I even dropped the bike in a campground, hitch and tongue were still fine.

For light wiring, consider a powered isolator. It makes the whole process simpler and easier.

Perhaps but couldn't go wrong for the price I paid.  I found trailers 10 to 20 years older with far more miles for damn near the same price.

BlueTroll said:
Perhaps but couldn't go wrong for the price I paid.  I found trailers 10 to 20 years older with far more miles for damn near the same price.

:great:  :beerchug:

hitch for the bike is gonna run about half again what that trailer cost...prepare for sticker shock.
don't be tempted to carry a cooler full of ice and stuff on that tow bar mount, it will place too much weight on the tongue...and be a bit squirrely

I'm pulling a harbor freight toter behind my 14 and have about $700 total invested, which includes my additiona lights and wiring I did from scratch...

here's how my winger friend rolls

goldwinger.jpg

Check the pic again.  He's got plenty of clear air under that whole trailer.  The sparks are coming from the dragging left side tailpipe.

ChipDoc said:
Check the pic again.  He's got plenty of clear air under that whole trailer.  The sparks are coming from the dragging left side tailpipe.

Umm....yes, thats what I was pointing out.  The sparks usually come from the floorboards if the rear of the bike isn't overloaded and undersprung. 
I see all that daylight under the trailer.  I guess I should have been more specific....he needs more air in the rear shock(s?)  :great:

I'm thinking about getting a trailer for my 86 ZG1000, probably something like that Harbor Freight utility trailer with a ski box on it.. Anyone know of a good way to put a bicycle rack on a Connie?? i have seen it on some bigger BMW adventure bikes and i want a way to take my mountain bike with me.