• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Biker passes on double yellow, and driver swerves into biker!!!!!

That is just wrong. Wrong. That driver needs to go to jail for attempted homicide.  :mad:

My God. That old bastard better serve time and lose everything he fricking owns. He didn't even care what he did to those people. Just wanted preserve his double yellow line. Damn!
Can't believe the guy with the camera showed that much restraint. I wouldn't have faired so well restraining myself.

Apparently he wasn't cited for anything.  At a minimum, failure to yield the center line, but in my opinion, that was attempted vehicular homicide x2, 1 each for rider and passenger!!!!!! Yes the rider was wrong for passing on a double yellow, but he didn't deserve to be DEAD wrong doing it!!

If nothing is done to the driver of the car I have a feeling with his number plate being shown on the video justice will be served eventually  ::)

That is scary!  :-\

I admit it, I have passed over the double yellow.  Yes it is both illegal and irresponsible, but the drivers reaction is WAY out of line.

passing on the double yellow should have nothing to do with this. That's a fault, yes. it was not contributory as the car driver had the breach the line in order to hit the bike. that's a fault, too,

I have long said serial killers know how to drive, in fact it's how they remain successful... don't' hunt in the same area. I believe some accidents, like this one, aren't accidental at all. It was a deliberate attempt to kill the bikers.

If you ride long enough, you'll experience it, I know I have. steve

The driver's name was posted in the comments. I grew up in Texas -this guy might be safer in jail.

The guy filming seemed to be in gear - the others not so much. Lucky lucky lucky this wasn't a more gruesome scene.

Wow.  That leaves my stomach in a knot. 

Camera Guy:  Hey dude, you swerved over to hit them.

Old Guy:  I don't care.

I agree with mnbikeguy;  the camera guy really showed restraint.  I shutter to think what I would have done in the same situation.  When he said "I don't care", my head just about exploded just watching the video. 

I lived in an area with 2-lanes & farmers and there are times when crossing the double yellow makes sense to the citizens.  It can be habit forming.  A wagon full of hay with one wheel on the shoulder to say "pass me" is different from a guy who's already doing 10 over the speed limit.
I didn't see any passing zones or speed limit signs so I'm wondering why there was a double yellow there, maybe due to citizen's complaints for that road?  The wide angle video makes everything look very fast and the straights look long but I'd have to make an effort to guess how fast they were going and whether the double yellow was there just to save bureaucrat time or because it was a school bus route or whatever.
I might suspect the driver's intent was to make the biker pass one car at a time.  I don't recall another car coming the opposite way that could have been a threat to a double pass.  The biker didn't seem to have any resources left to swerve himself to avoid getting hit.  The car didn't go much past the point where it hit the bike, I think any practiced lane splitter would have survived that without contact if the driver stuck to the middle of the road.
Still, regardless of who was how much at fault, I hope the riders weren't badly injured and soon fully recover.

Tour1 said:
I might suspect the driver's intent was to make the biker pass one car at a time.  The car didn't go much past the point where it hit the bike, I think any practiced lane splitter would have survived that without contact if the driver stuck to the middle of the road.
Still, regardless of who was how much at fault, I hope the riders weren't badly injured and soon fully recover.

I think the driver's intent was very clear.  He was pissed that someone was passing him and decided to take them out.  His movement was so sudden that I don't even think an experienced lane splitter could have avoided it.  As I ride along, I am always expecting the guy in the other lane to change lanes.  But you watch the car and see the beginning of the drift.  There was no drift; that was a violent swerve. 

I agree with your final sentiment; I wish the best for the riders.  I am surprised that they weren't hurt worse given the speed involved.

Probably did do it on purpose.....first thing out of his mouth was something about the double line. Humans are weird, we like to 'TEACH PEOPLE A LESSON'. I have seen it with friends driving as well as often with my dear old dad (crazy bad driver, I used to tell people if they saw a silver buick regal pick another route). I hate to admit but I have done it myself, such as tapping on the brake when someone is following too close or leaving my bights on, on purpose by accident. And, a lot of these humans hate to be passed.
    I have learned from many miles (including driving semi a bit) to just let things go.....and let people pass already, and they can go on to be a gnat in someone elses life. And try to lose the teach people a lesson mentality.

Word is the biker passenger was sent to ICU with very severe arm injuries. Hope they will persevere and take action against that old bastard. No matter if the rider was breaking the law, if a car was running a stop sign and breaking the law you wouldnt take off and ran them?? I think he was just a grumpy old fart and didnt want one of those kids on them crotch rockets passing him. :mad:

After watching the the video again, the driver said at least three times that "I don't care". The MC rider shooting the video said "you will care".  I do think the law is going to make that dumb dude care.  :mad:

luv2fly said:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/10/19/video-shows-vehicle-veering-into-motorcycle-2-hurt/

Dub Gillum, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety, says the agency has seen the video. He says that the investigating trooper will meet with prosecutors Monday and that the car's driver could face felony charges.

I'm pro-cop, but I hope they tell the name of the investigating trooper.  I'm thinking this video clearly shows enough information to have taken the guy in.  a woman is in the hospital after this action.  granted, mine is an emotional reaction, but not really understanding why action wasn't taken.  :(

I will almost bet that if criminal charges are NOT brought against that JERK then a Civil lawsuit will be served on him.

The camera man didn't show restraint, he showed brains to not hurt or kill the JERK on camera. 
If there was no camera things might have been different.

That Jerk was trying to kill a guy that was in no way trying to hurt or kill him.  So it's not like he could say it was self defense.
Attempted Murder with a dangerous weapon should be the charge.  20+years in jail minimum and maybe he will care.  :pokestick: 

Sport Rider, there are guys with much more LE experience than me here, but I'll chime in.  Being in reserve law enforcement for a few years, I picked up a few things.  When the investigating agency - and county prosecutor - take their time and do not take a guy like this directly to jail, its not a good sign for him.  Very likely putting a deliberate case together and making sure their "t's" are crossed and "i's" dotted.  This is how it worked where I was.  Seeing as this now has over 2 million views, they know the country and motorcycle community will be watching. 

My .02, which is about exactly what my opinion may be worth here. 

There is NO DOUBT that the car driver was wrong and malicious, even if he only wanted to scare the biker rather than hit him.  But let's also keep in mind that the rider illegally crossed the double yellow, and probably exceeded the speed limit to do what many car drivers would consider a "reckless act".  We all know it's wrong and it contributes to the reputation of "bad boys" that can lead to car/truck drivers trying to teach us a lesson.  I am sure, based on his verbal responses after the hit, that he thinks he did the right thing to punish an offender.  I hope he learns through the legal proceedings that he was WRONG and it is not HIS job to correct other driver's actions.  Let's all ride right and not provoke this kind of thing, we already get a bad rap just for being on two wheels.

gPink said:
Sorry, but I'd have passed too. Likely fast enough the driver wouldn't have had time to react.

And I would have passed the driver and gPink, only I would have passed on the right.  :-[

THEY NEVER EXPECT THAT!

ACISROC said:
gPink said:
Sorry, but I'd have passed too. Likely fast enough the driver wouldn't have had time to react.

And I would have passed the driver and gPink, only I would have passed on the right.  :-[

THEY NEVER EXPECT THAT!

Hi,
        Uh...well.....in Puerto Rico they think the emergency lane IS for passing on the RIGHT! :great: >:D >:D >:D

Attachments

• tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.jpg
    tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 165
seagiant1 said:
ACISROC said:
gPink said:

THEY NEVER EXPECT THAT!

Hi,
        Uh...well.....in Puerto Rico they think the emergency lane IS for passing on the RIGHT! :great: >:D >:D >:D

Oh Oh- I didn't even know I was Puerto Rican  I am going to have to have a talk with my father! :rotflmao:
Seagiant1 is always cool  :great: :great: :great:

At least the driver of the car, William Crum of Granbury, TX, is no longer protected by anonymity and will probably pay at least a civil penalty.  Way too often these guys aren't ever caught.

Our channel 2 news showed the video and said the pillion was in ICU.
To take a lesson from this you have to take note of some things:
There was more road available on the left for the passing biker, he didn't use it all.
He even seems to be moving towards the car just before they hit, could it be perspective doing that?  The video in the NSFW thread is conveniently edited.
Anything, armadillo, whatever, could inspire a driver to swerve, any time.
Video biker's catching up could have inspired the other biker to pass at that time.
There's more, but I'm tired.  Just be aware that you CAN learn from other people's mistakes, it's allowed.

Tour1 said:
Our channel 2 news showed the video and said the pillion was in ICU.
To take a lesson from this you have to take note of some things:
There was more road available on the left for the passing biker, he didn't use it all.
He even seems to be moving towards the car just before they hit, could it be perspective doing that?  The video in the NSFW thread is conveniently edited.
Video biker's catching up could have inspired the other biker to pass at that time.
There's more, but I'm tired.  Just be aware that you CAN learn from other people's mistakes, it's allowed.
Driver admitted to swerving & hitting the bike, Never said anything about no damn armadillo  :-[ , Lesson learned is the driver is a douche bag  ::)

Yeah OK the biker made a bad pass in a double yellow. Normally this would be an infraction or at worst a misdemeanor depending on the speed.  (in Washington State 30mph over is reckless driving a misdemeanor) This does not justify attempted murder on the car drivers part. If not charged with attempted murder I'm sure a jury would convict on reckless endangerment. No misdemeanor is worth a person's life. That bonehead move by the old man could cost him everything he owns or will own until he dies. in a Civil Court I'm sure after the jury sees the video I bet they would award the motorcyclist and his passenger for medical costs and some punitive damages.

Yeah, cars serve over all the time when someone passes them.....if this were the case more cars would serve over when legally passing eh?

Leave the traffic enforcement to the LEO's. It will be much safer for everyone involved.

gPink said:

Me too.....but in the passing lane which was probably only a couple seconds away . Of course the driver should not have swerved into him and should be punished but people need to stop being so impatient on the road . I see near head on collisions all the time just because someone wants to go a little faster than me in my work truck and cant wait for a passing lane . Didnt look like they were headed to work or anywhere important so what was the damn hurry ?

luv2fly said:
Sport Rider, there are guys with much more LE experience than me here, but I'll chime in.  Being in reserve law enforcement for a few years, I picked up a few things.  When the investigating agency - and county prosecutor - take their time and do not take a guy like this directly to jail, its not a good sign for him.  Very likely putting a deliberate case together and making sure their "t's" are crossed and "i's" dotted.  This is how it worked where I was.  Seeing as this now has over 2 million views, they know the country and motorcycle community will be watching. 

My .02, which is about exactly what my opinion may be worth here.

thanks for the reply.  I'm sure you're right.  I just have too little patience for people like this.    :-[

old guy or not, i cant say that, in the heat of the moment, i wouldnt have, with knuckle protector equipped gloves on, just punched that old man right in the lips.

i mean, yeah, violence is not the answer, and wait for the cops, and all that...but like i said, in the heat of the moment...i would be ready to let him feel the same pain that the other rider was feeling from this guys actions.

just really distributing and arrogant.  i have been told stories of people like this who simply hate motorcycles so much, that they do this, whether you are passing on a double yellow, or just passing within normal highway driving.  Usually they dont look for, or target sport-touring style bikes.  but of course, you remove our cases, and most people cannot tell the diff between our beloved C14 and any other sportbike.  So i keep my head up for these types of people.

Hi,
      Hopefully with the vid as evidence he will get the max and have some time with "Bubba" to meditate on his actions! ;D

"Stupid is as stupid does!" :great:

Attachments

• Yamaha-Grid-Girls-Cota-2014.jpeg
    Yamaha-Grid-Girls-Cota-2014.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 168
According to recent reports on his arrest this guy has priors with "terroristic" behaviors. There is no excuse for this wanton callous regard for life. His man needs to be in jail. The example needs to be set. Enough!  No different than most of you here, I deal with callous self-righteous automobile drivers who behave as if they own and rule the road. Once in a car these individuals become animals protecting what they perceive as their turf. It is an ugly and deadly manifestation of the "ME, ME, ME" I'm special it's all about me attitude.  Personal responsibility seems to be a dead concept. Claim no responsibility have the insurance company and lawyers handle it.  I'm fed up with this. I've had no less than two road rage incidents with cars in the past two weeks, all due to idiotic drivers who are inattentive and preoccupied with themselves and no one else on the road.

He probably wasn't thinking he would seriously injure them...or, even kill them...but, if he did...in his mind...they are only bikers...

It makes me shudder...

Just sayin...

Jr said:
Here is an article about Crum's previous encounters with he law: http://www.yourglenrosetx.com/article/20151019/NEWS/151019367

Sobering to think that someone would purposely try to end two lives, and have the mindset that he doesn't care. Unbelievable!

I posted similar on the other forum.
the true fact is, this oldfart has had numerous issues of violence, and also numerous arrests, and convictions... the last 3 were felony zone, and he spent time in jail.
Texas has had the "three strikes you're out" law since 1953 for felony convictions.... he should have been doing a minimum of 20 years on the last one...prior to this time...
this recent attack, and if taken to court, which it will be for certain, should result in strikes #4 & 5....
with that said, even if it was a first offense, the penalties would be 20 years per person injured, but compounded by the 3 strike law, this arse may get life... which is fine by me....

Given this guy might get whats coming...
Lesson:  Give all the space you can.

I was at the 2010? COG Nationals passing a car two up legally on a straight with good weather and visibility.  A critter ran across the road right as I was next to the car.  What do you think the driver did?  Yep swerved to miss the critter and almost took us both out.  If I had not given as much room as I could during the pass WE would have been dead or in pieces.

BackInTheSaddle said:
There is NO DOUBT that the car driver was wrong and malicious, even if he only wanted to scare the biker rather than hit him.  But let's also keep in mind that the rider illegally crossed the double yellow, and probably exceeded the speed limit to do what many car drivers would consider a "reckless act".  We all know it's wrong and it contributes to the reputation of "bad boys" that can lead to car/truck drivers trying to teach us a lesson.  I am sure, based on his verbal responses after the hit, that he thinks he did the right thing to punish an offender.  I hope he learns through the legal proceedings that he was WRONG and it is not HIS job to correct other driver's actions.  Let's all ride right and not provoke this kind of thing, we already get a bad rap just for being on two wheels.
So by this criteria you could understand someone speeding up to hit a jaywalker because they corssed the street "illegally"?  Others committing "reckless acts" does not give us carte blanche  to attempt to commit murder!

:agree:  It's not his responsibility to enforce the law. IF he feels the rider(s) endangered the public he can report them to the "proper" authorities. His "use of deadly force" was totally unjustified.

:eek:    WOW, simply amazing. Unfortunately their are too many folks similar to this person, out there. Not to mention way too many folks who are trying to kill you without even realizing it. Thank God for that camera. It didn't prevent this incident. But it might have prevented other events in the future.

smithr1 said:

I was at the 2010? COG Nationals passing a car two up legally on a straight with good weather and visibility.  A critter ran across the road right as I was next to the car.  What do you think the driver did?  Yep swerved to miss the critter and almost took us both out.  If I had not given as much room as I could during the pass WE would have been dead or in pieces.

I agree whole heartedly with Bob. When I pass vehicles (especially tractor trailers), I run far to the left very close to the white line and as reasonably swift as possible to limit my time in the extreme dangerous zone.

Cap'n Bob said:
  :eek:    WOW, simply amazing. Unfortunately their are too many folks similar to this person, out there. Not to mention way too many folks who are trying to kill you without even realizing it. Thank God for that camera. It didn't prevent this incident. But it might have prevented other events in the future.

smithr1 said:

I agree whole heartedly with Bob. When I pass vehicles (especially tractor trailers), I run far to the left very close to the white line and as reasonably swift as possible to limit my time in the extreme dangerous zone.

I go past em too fast to even think about it.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana:

Being a transplant Coloradoan i have been privy to seeing this type of behavior first hand.
The ones that are showing aggression have some dull witted view of why you irritate them.
Passing in a double yellow for a motorcyclist is by and large a lesser evil than many perceive.
Is it right ? No.  does it freak people out? Yes, to the point of action apparently.
Will I stop doing it ? No, been doing it safely and within reason for too many seasons.

It's just ONE of the many calculated risks we take when throw a leg over.

I never take the law into my own hands.
Don't run when caught breaking the law.
Fess up and pay my tickets when I deserve them.
Don't ask you to think I'm right, just don't need your judgment.

Of my 82 mile round trip commute, over 20 miles are on two lane roads with a double yellow line pretty much the whole way.  The biggest risk to me is generally blind corners where 4 wheel vehicles going the opposite direction are cutting the corner.  Knowing that, I try and stay far enough to the outside of the corner and have a bail out plan in case I see grille coming towards me in the corner.  That, or the same corner may have loose gravel that have been dumped by road crews (marbles), oil, deer, whatever.  That's why I never get in too large of a hurry, happy to let an impatient car, redneck pickup, or Harley rider, pass me and go flying blindly into those corners.  There are too many idiots on the road to be taking those sorts of risks. 

For what it's worth, my best 2 lane passing technique is this:
1. Hang back behind the slowpoke as far as I can, even to the point I've been passed by the guy behind me.
2. Drop to passing gear.
3. Build up speed behind the slowpoke until I reach a decision point.
4. If I have to, now's the time to hit the brakes and stay on the right side of the road, having a mellow moment behind the slowpoke.
5. If I reach the decision point and can still see plenty of passing lane, closing fast on the slowpoke, then I'll move left and hopefully pass him like a bat outta heck before he has time to do anything dumb.

I have to say, though, that I don't think I'm faster than cages on some of the twisty roads.  I don't want to risk dinging my head on those big trees where I've rarely seen a car or truck hurt badly at 2-lane speeds.  Just consider where you've seen those double skid marks compared to a bike's skid often meaning loss of balance.  Most of my twisty passing is around bicycles and dog walkers  :-O

Tour1,  you are riding a Concours, right?  Your passing technique sounds like what I used to do in my '87 Nissan Stanza Wally Wagon while pulling my cycle trailer.  It had 90 HP, and its quarter mile could be timed with a sun dial. Hitting them in full gallop was the only way to pass.  Do you really need the running start to pass a slowpoke on your Kaw? 

While I understand the "get around them as fast as possible" philosophy, I prefer the opposite.  I only pass where I have visibility to know I can complete the pass, and when I do it, I take the car as sedately as possible.  First, I get in their left side mirror to let them know I'm there.  Then I put on my turn signal.  And then I use as little throttle as necessary to get the pass accomplished.  And I'll often give them the wave that says thanks for letting me by (even though they had no choice).  People are a lot less off put by a quiet pass than they are by an inline four on the pipe blowing by them.  I consider it good public relations.

To those who ask "what about if they do something stupid while you're meandering past them?", I propose that the faster you are going, the less abrupt your evasive maneuvers can be.  Braking and shifting lane position both take longer at higher speeds.  Obviously there are times when a quick blow by is called for.  But if I have my druthers, I want to leave as few hurt feelings as possible. 

I've been riding that way for 40 years, so it's either relatively safe, or I am extraordinarily lucky. 

Yes I have a Concours C10 but speaking frankly it sometimes scares me when I get on the throttle in low gear.  In high gear it isn't responding warp factors better than a Wally Wagon so I prefer to have my speed up.  It proves in advance of the pass that I can get the speed up, really a need to know item.  It's not like you lose a lap by failing, you can get stuck where you don't belong.
Kelly, there are times around here when tractors pull hay wagons on the road and even grape harvesters go crawling along from farm A to farm B.  Yes it is the law that one should not pass on a double yellow, but it takes a very long time for these guys to get where they're going sometimes.  Also you can expect the engineering to be about passing somebody going near the speed limit, 55 MPH on unmarked state 2-lanes in NY.  Town limits may be 30 MPH, usually without lines on them.  I think it's all been covered already.
The thing is the "other" lane is a more dangerous place and you don't have to beat the odds as much if you spend less time there.  I'm not sure it's better to be going faster if a cage attacks, but a surprise pass may be more likely to make the attack fail.
I'd like to see the location of the OP video on satellite, it could be enlightening for us observers.  I'd also want to be aware that at 20 MPH my Concours will have less than 1500 RPM in high gear, that downshift would be a critical part of the pass tactic.

Solomookie said:
While I understand the "get around them as fast as possible" philosophy, I prefer the opposite.  I only pass where I have visibility to know I can complete the pass, and when I do it, I take the car as sedately as possible.  First, I get in their left side mirror to let them know I'm there.  Then I put on my turn signal.  And then I use as little throttle as necessary to get the pass accomplished.  And I'll often give them the wave that says thanks for letting me by (even though they had no choice).  People are a lot less off put by a quiet pass than they are by an inline four on the pipe blowing by them.  I consider it good public relations.

+1, make the pass without being an ass.

Hi,
      Anyone know if this case went to court? :motonoises:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9.5 KB · Views: 155
I know that Eric Sanders (motorcyclist) was not charged.
Apparently in Texas it was found to be that the old man was going slower than speed limits and Eric and company had the right to pass.

Have there been any updates on the girl's condition?
I hope she's recovering well.
I know she didn't suffer this lightly.

works4me said:
Have there been any updates on the girl's condition?
I hope she's recovering well.
I know she didn't suffer this lightly.
I follow Eric on Facebook and she is still in bad straight's.
As far as I know now she has limited use of either of her hands.
Not to mention other damages

That little 5' 1/2" guy is a bigger guy behind the wheel.  It looks like even if he has car insurance, the insurance wouldn't pay since it was a deliberate criminal action.  We can assume since he can't even post $15K bail, he does not have sufficient personal assets to pay the victims’ claims.  There will be little chance the victims can sue in civil court and get anything.  So in the end, those injured and property loss motorcyclists are screwed.  The only thing that they can hope for is that justice is served. 

Solomookie said:
Tour1,  you are riding a Concours, right?  Your passing technique sounds like what I used to do in my '87 Nissan Stanza Wally Wagon while pulling my cycle trailer.  It had 90 HP, and its quarter mile could be timed with a sun dial. Hitting them in full gallop was the only way to pass.  Do you really need the running start to pass a slowpoke on your Kaw? 

To those who ask "what about if they do something stupid while you're meandering past them?", I propose that the faster you are going, the less abrupt your evasive maneuvers can be.  Braking and shifting lane position both take longer at higher speeds.  Obviously there are times when a quick blow by is called for.  But if I have my druthers, I want to leave as few hurt feelings as possible. 

I've been riding that way for 40 years, so it's either relatively safe, or I am extraordinarily lucky.

Well said Solomookie, Solomookie is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

We need to add a page so my passing habits aren't the 1st thing everybody sees when they click on this thread.
All the same, there is a period of time when the car you are passing is on your flank and he/she has the potential to hit the gas and keep you in the oncoming traffic lane until it's too late.  If you are already beyond their vehicle's acceleration ability you avoid that particular weakness.
I know a driver should not do that, yet the ticked-off old man might have tried that if the bike had gotten past him.

Tour1 said:
We need to add a page so my passing habits aren't the 1st thing everybody sees when they click on this thread.

Don't sweat it, Tour.  With over 4,000 views on this thread, I suspect that everyone will only be hitting the "new" button instead of churning through 3 pages.  Besides, I never said your way is wrong; I just offered up my preferred method with the rationale behind my choice.

As far as the potential for someone speeding up on you, that is a very valid point.  But keep in mind, warp speed is just a bang down two and wrist roll away.  It won't help against a high performance car, but it will git-er-done for virtually everyone else.  And, of course, there is always the second alternative...  You can brake and dip behind them.  Think Tom Cruise in Top Gun...  "I'll hit the brakes and he'll fly right by".  In almost any situation, there is more one option available.

"I only pass where I have visibility to know I can complete the pass, and when I do it, I take the car as sedately as possible.  First, I get in their left side mirror to let them know I'm there.  Then I put on my turn signal.  And then I use as little throttle as necessary to get the pass accomplished.  And I'll often give them the wave that says thanks for letting me by (even though they had no choice).  People are a lot less off put by a quiet pass than they are by an inline four on the pipe blowing by them.  I consider it good public relations."

Yep, this works for me, but after the wave, I accelerate and get moving.  Years ago had a friend who tried to pass a car and it turned left right in front of him as he neared the rear of it.  No turn signal.  Was tourists, taking in the scenery, oblivious to vehicles around them.

So I try to pass as fast as possible, but politely, with a wave.

Also, with headlight modulators, they seem to pick me up in their mirrors OK.

Tour1 said:
All the same, there is a period of time when the car you are passing is on your flank and he/she has the potential to hit the gas and keep you in the oncoming traffic lane until it's too late.  If you are already beyond their vehicle's acceleration ability you avoid that particular weakness.
I know a driver should not do that, yet the ticked-off old man might have tried that if the bike had gotten past him.

Quite often (even when I'm in the cage), the "getting passed" party will speed up as I pass - it's as if by passing I've woken them up from their daydream and they realize they've been riding under the limit (whatever limit is in their head). I honestly believe this is frequently an unconscious action on their part. So many people drive in unconscious mode, rather than being attentive, so they "fill the gap" or "keep their position", etc.

So waking them up by passing can be risky - we need to wake them up before we pass.

People speed up all the time when you try to pass them. They do it on purpose. They are determining today's speed limit not you. My favorite is when you pass them and do 10 mph faster than they were going, they feel the need to get on your azz.

F_ C-K'em, I drop 2 gears and hammer it when visibility permits, i figure the smallest window possible for the cager to react, the better.

>:D