• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bilt Techno Bluetooth Modular Helmet

Bud

I bought one of these helmets in 2014 for $200 or $220...can't remember which.  I like having a modular helmet because it's just easier to get on and off and deal with wearing glasses.  It's not the quietest helmet out there but I knew that when I bought it.  I pair the helmet with my phone and can listen to internet radio or spotify, while still having GPS instructions fed to me.  All that makes me not miss having a stereo on my bike.  I used to do that back in the days of Vetter fairings and Cycle Sounds.  I've got elderly parents that live around the corner from me so if they have a problem and I'm on my bike, I can also accept phone calls.The helmet is comfortable enough.  Air flow isn't the greatest, but on the C14, I can run with the face shield up and be happy.  It also has a drop down shield that I used to use all the time, but I'm not so sure that it's that helpful.  I go back and forth on that.

I started having issues with tiny dropouts of sound and the battery life was suffering a bit after 4 years of use.  While in Louisville yesterday, we went to Cyclegear and I talked to them about that.  The guy that waited on me said that he had heard some complaints from some customers about that in the past.  Without any fuss, he replaced my helmet with a new one!  The new model has Sena bluetooth instead of whatever chinese system the old one had.  He told me that the Sena system is louder and clearer than the previous one.  I haven't had a chance to try the bluetooth yet, but probably will do some riding today to see how it sounds.

I understand that this is a cheap helmet but any helmet is better than no helmet.  I don't have a $200 head, but I just can't drop $1000 on a helmet and bluetooth system.  If I could afford something like a shoei or schuberth, I would do so.  For the money I spent, I'm a happy guy.

One last thing, and it's a biggie to me.  Cyclegear stood behind their product.  No fuss replacement.  You can't ask for any more than that.  Hats off to Cyclegear for being a good merchant of affordable riding gear for the masses that aren't made of money.  Thanks! :beerchug:

I got one used as a trade for a riding jacket I didn't like.  It fit me well so I guess my buddy and I have similar head size.  I wear large aviator glasses, though, and the Bilt helmet apparently has a lot of liner on the forehead that pushed my eyeglasses down my nose a little.  I could ride with it but that was uncomfortable and I tried to push my glasses up at every opportunity.
End of story:  Another buddy bought it from me for $80.
:beerchug:

Tour1 said:
I got one used as a trade for a riding jacket I didn't like.  It fit me well so I guess my buddy and I have similar head size.  I wear large aviator glasses, though, and the Bilt helmet apparently has a lot of liner on the forehead that pushed my eyeglasses down my nose a little.  I could ride with it but that was uncomfortable and I tried to push my glasses up at every opportunity.
End of story:  Another buddy bought it from me for $80.
:beerchug:
A long time ago I found frames for my prescription glasses that had cable ends for the ear pieces.  One of my big complaints about glasses has been the sliding down my nose irritation.  Cable ends solves that completely!  Why they aren't the standard earpiece on glasses of any kind is beyond me.  Wish I had those again.

I have grown to really like Cycle Gear they have a huge variety at every price level and have always treated me well.

My brother and I got a pair of these helmets last year. They have been great. The intercom is very valuable when we are in traffic or trying to get somewhere and fun the rest of the time. We even did a 14 hour day with them on a single charge. It changes the whole dynamic of the ride when you can talk to each other, you aren't trapped in your own little world inside your helmet. I also love listening to music when I am riding alone. I just did a ride with my best friend after he finally got one and he wishes he hadn't waited so long to get one. :great:

I took a short ride yesterday morning to check out the sound of the sena bluetooth system built into my bilt helmet.  It is on the bright side of things.  Bass is ok but I really don't expect a bunch from tiny helmet speakers.  It is positively louder than the previous bluetooth system used in these helmets.  The old system had problems getting loud enough on higher speed rides.  I'm still adjusting to the new button arrangement on the sena system.  I do like that it talks to you when you turn it on and off and things such as pairing.  The sena system also takes a short two button press to turn it on and off instead of having to hold the power button for multiple seconds.  I read in the manual that there is software for windows and mac (what about linux??) that allow configuration via a computer.  I've not installed the configuration software yet, but will be doing so soon.  Overall, I thought the first techno bluetooth helmet was a good value.  The new sena version is an even better value with no increase in price!  Gotta love that! :beerchug:

Bud,

Give ear plugs a try. The sound will be lots better. You'll still hear all the traffic etc, but the wind roar will be alot less. The cheapies from CVS or Walgreens do fine.