• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bleeding Clutch Fluid

njdulong

Bicycle
Howdy,
Clutch fluid is looking pretty dirty.  I have the OEM manual and went through the "procedure" with the two bleed screws.  Also did a search of this site.  Since this is the first time that I have had to bleed a hydraulic system with a bleed valve on the master cylinder I was wondering if I can still just use my Mity Vac and suck the fluid through until it comes out clean at the slave cylinder bleed valve ignoring the bleed valve on the master cylinder?
Thanks,
Norm

There will be lots of little tiny bits of rubber you are pulling through the entire system.  I would evacuate the res. first, then the bleeder on the master then move to the slave.  It's not that hard or time consuming.  It may work fine doing your way though.  I never tried it that way.

When I did mine, I didn't mess with the bleeder at the master cylinder, but I did suck out all the old fluid in the reservoir first and replace it with new like Mick suggests above.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the help.  Used the Mity Vac to drain the reservoir then paper towels and Q tips to clean up the rest.  There was a ton of crap in there that you did not want to suck through the rest of the system.  Refilled with clean DOT 4, hooked the Mity Vac to the bleed screw on the slave cylinder then pumped on it until the clean fluid came through.  A couple of refills on the reservoir just to make sure I got all the old fluid out.  Between that and a throttle cable adjustment Boston Blackie is back to shifting like new.
Later,
Norm