• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bluegrass Festival in Cherokee, NC

JohnC

Street Cruiser
There is a Bluegrass Music Festival in Cherokee, NC, on Aug. 20 - 22. One of the feature artists on the 21st is Rhonda Vincent & The Rage. Here is a link to the website; http://www.aandabluegrass.com/Festivals/CherokeeBluegrassFestival.html If you have an interest in this type of music, please drop me a line as I'm hoping to be there, at least for the performances on the 21st. Also, remember that Hellbender 28, Deals Gap, Blueridge Parkway, Little River Road, Foothills Parkway, and the Cherohala Skyway are all within 50 miles of Cherokee. Heck, BRP is just at the city limits. tcars John

OK, it is official, I'm heading there for Great riding and Great music. A great combo for a weekend. Just need to figure out which campground I'll be staying at. Only thing that can change it, rain for an entire weekend and that is not likely in the last part of August. If this is something that interests you, let me know. tcars John

I really liked the KOA in Cherokee. Many years ago now, but I caught fresh trout in the stream and fried 'em up for several meals.

Well, after some checking it looks like that is where I will be, the KOA. As for the fishing, I'll most likely bring some small gear, but as to using it, time will tell. I'm short on saddle time this year, so I may ride more than anything. Put it this way, in that area one can never run out of things to do. :) tcars John

Well, after trying to reserve a tent camping site, don't think so, not at $77.60 for 2 nights. I think I can find a motel for not much more than that. So right now, I don't know where I'll be staying. Anyone know of a cheap motel in that area? tcars, John, COG 4157, AMA & ROK N Ga AAD

John, Look below under 2009 National - pics of the Scenic View Motel in Bryson City. The guy will remember us from June. In Bryson City - a short ride from where you want to be in Cherokee. $45 a night for two beds - two people. Hoogie COG#5737

John, I wish I could join you as I'll be in Maggie Valley a few days later. If you're looking for a good tent site try the Deep Creek Campground outside of Bryson City (Smoky Mt. Nat'l Park), it usually has sites available and is a very nice campground. Also the trout fishing is excellent on Deep Creek - you just have to hike about two miles to get above the tubing area. Ken

Hoogie: Thanks for the info, Bryson City has that ABC store with the GOOD bourbon, I might mot make it out of town if I were to stay there. :) Plus, that is little further out than I wanted. I did some checking of campgrounds in the park and it seems the tourist season is over so I have considered one night in Cades Cove campground for $20.00. I think I'll just play it by ear. The Microtel there in Cherokee is only $55.00 a night and I have an idea I can find some even cheaper. If anyone else is going to be in the area and looking for me, I'll be on the silver bird, not RD. Now for Webshots, when did they start doing video advertising? Damn, that was highly annoying. If that continues I will move my pics elsewhere and I told them that. Already opened an account on Picasa since most all else is on Google. tcars, John, COG 4157, AMA & ROK N Ga AAD

Ken: Thank You for the info. That is a bit further out than I'd like but it is the type of campground I prefer, (off the beaten path). I'll be going back to whatever at night so I'm trying to stay close to the festival site. I've only found one campground closer that was reasonable for a tent site, the Flaming Arrow Campground on 441 south of Cherokee. Know anything about it? There is a back route to the festival site, only 5 miles. Still the safest thing is to just find a close motel for Friday night. I too wish you could make it, you'll miss some good bluegrass music. Six bands for a 10 hours plus festival and only $30.00, quite a deal. Course you have to bring your own seating and what I'd prefer to take won't fit on a mc. :) But I do have a couple that will fit on the bike so no problem. Are you going to WRRR? If yes, which mc will you have? tcars, John, COG 4157, AMA & ROK Central Jawja AAD

John, Marcia and I are going for the entire week (prior to WRRR). I'm probably going to do like the National and bring the d/s and the TransAlp. Al's bringing his KLR (I think) and we could ride some of the forest roads that you missed during the National. We will be @ Iron Horse on Thu, Fri and Sat. See ya there.

Ken: Then I'll bring the DR. But I'll need to get that new tire on the rear soon. As for the Bluegrass Festival, had one hic-up. Stepped on one of Sadie's bones last night and cut a nice gash in my foot. Here it is 2 PM and I'm just now got the bike loaded, little painful to walk. Figured at this rate, just stay here one more night then I can motel it. Did some checking and found a less costly motel just a few miles from the festival site and I've got a room reserved. From there Sat. morn, off to Pigeon Forge, Wears Vally, Townsend, and then Cades Cove for Sat. night at the campground. Sunday, whatever I care to do, at least the long way home via the roads I've not been on. :) As for the wife in Fl, we now have a new grandson, born 6:30 this morn, name is Max. tcars, John