• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bluetooth Bike communication units

SkisNH

Mini Bike
Hi Guys,
  I have been reading up on the ear-buds and the noise cancelling ear-buds in the forum, but what about the comm systems? Most of the time I will just use it for music (is it clear and enjoyable listening like an ear-bud)? I think the comm would come in handy at times on the bike and the Sled...Any opinions would be appreciated.  I also wouldn't mind being able to answer a phone call.

Thanks in Advance,

SkisNH

The Sena 20s is a very solid headset with good reviews.

Cardo just came out with the packtalk which looks interesting as well, abet more expensive.

Both come with speakers that you can mount in your helmet, and the Sena will let you use your own ear buds if you prefer in-ear speakers.

There's plenty of others too, but those two are the ones that I've looked at most recently.

-Jeff

Much of the experience will depend on your helmet, If you have a relatively quiet helmet, it'll probably sound pretty good. Loud helmets will diminish communications, but not affect music as much. I have the Sena 10R, it's certainly loud enough to enjoy at highways speeds, but does lack true fidelity- largely due to ambient noise of a modular helmet, But I personally believe that without in-ear plugs, you can never attain audiophile quality sound....

I have the Sena SMH-10 unit. Great performance. With ear plugs, music,phone, & GPS very clear. Not concert hall quality, but good.
Using the helmet speakers and mic mounted to chin bar on full face. NO earbuds - illegal in many states. 
Problem with most units is adequate volume at hwy speeds. Ken Ford, our ED has tried them all & swears by Sena. HTH

I have the 20S and listen to music at highway/freeway speed. Albeit I'm also still wearing earplugs for extra hearing protection, but the music is turned up enough that I can still hear my surroundings. The speakers for the helmet are great and if you do use it for radio, make sure to route the wires at the top of the helmet to increase reception.  :motonoises:

What's nice about the 20S is it will work with your smartphone and/or GPS. I have an Android phone and use it for both and it's been terrific hearing music plus navigation directions. I've also received a few calls during rides and it's very nice convenience to take calls but i let the caller know I'm riding.

robertv said:
What's nice about the 20S is it will work with your smartphone and/or GPS. I have an Android phone and use it for both and it's been terrific hearing music plus navigation directions.

I have a first generation Sena SMH-10 (so old the firmware can't even be updated), and it still allows the same functions as noted by Robert.  That said, I am leaning toward changing to the 20S mainly for the cool ambient sound feature.  With a touch of a button, you can hear what's going on outside your helmet (like your friend talking to you at a light). The 20s also has the capability to pair with other brands of communicators.  It's only a matter of time (and money) before I switch.

Sound wise, ear buds are probably the best fidelity you can get.  But I dislike the whole plugging and unplugging when you get on or off the bike.  I have always used foam earplugs while riding, and when used with the Sena's speakers, the earplugs scrub the high tinniness off the speakers and leave you with really decent sound. When I stop, I simply pull off my helmet; no muss, no fuss.  With my Madstad, I can easily run 90 mph and still hear my music fine.  I use my smart phone for GPS and music, but I do not answer calls while riding; just don't want to.  One of the benefits of riding is to get away from the friggin phone.

+1 ambient feature of 20S...

Ah, yea forgot to mention the ambient feature. Very useful when you're filling up or at a stop and need to listen to your surroundings.

I just watched a revzilla video on the 20s that thing is sweet...I must say I am tempted by the price of the 10.

My 10 is a 2009 model, and I have never had a problem with it.  I think you've got a good product regardless of which you choose. 

I was originally looking at the U Clear.  Cycle Gear has the 100 priced at 139.  I have no actual experience but thought they looked great.  I am going another route for now.....

JimH_PA said:
  I was originally looking at the U Clear.  Cycle Gear has the 100 priced at 139.  I have no actual experience but thought they looked great.  I am going another route for now.....

I have the Uclear - works great. Use it for 2-up, only has a little trouble with voice activation occasionally. Solo, it works GREAT via bluetooth with my android, for Pandora/GPS/whatever. Even tried phone calls with it - noise cancellation is so good people think I'm at home!

I"ve been using 10D's for a few weeks now after using headphones for years and years.  I miss the clarity of the headphone, but love the convenience of the bluetooth.  What I've noticed is that it can be plenty loud enough, almost too much.  With changes in volume when the people are talking (such as a podcast) or when songs change and the volume is different, it can get uncomfortable.  But a turn of the dial fixes that.  I didn't experience that much when I used headphone/earbuds.  Plus flying with communication earbuds while flying blackhawks made me used to using in-ear comms/hearing protection.  FWIW - I nearly always use some form hearing protection when riding. 

JimBob said:
JimH_PA said:

I have the Uclear - works great. Use it for 2-up, only has a little trouble with voice activation occasionally. Solo, it works GREAT via bluetooth with my android, for Pandora/GPS/whatever. Even tried phone calls with it - noise cancellation is so good people think I'm at home!

JimBob, which one do you have? I had the 100 and we loved it. Since I have to replace it, may look at the 200....loved not having the mike in the chin bar.

I pulled the trigger on a Sena 20, I went in on it with one of my ridding buddies. Somehow I even convinced him to put it on his credit card. I can slip him cash and my wife will be shown my nice $100.00 motorcycle gadget.  :)

Pretty sure it's the 100 - if memory serves the 200 has bigger buttons that are a LOT easier to operate with gloves (and a couple other nice features too).

I've used mine for 12 hours of constant Pandora...and it wasn't dead. So batteries are REALLY good.

JimBob said:
Pretty sure it's the 100 - if memory serves the 200 has bigger buttons that are a LOT easier to operate with gloves (and a couple other nice features too).

I've used mine for 12 hours of constant Pandora...and it wasn't dead. So batteries are REALLY good.

Thanks JimBob. We had the 100's and battery life was excellent. The only issue we had was it picking up engine noise.  Read the new software fixes that a lot.

Rain Dancer said:
JimBob said:

Thanks JimBob. We had the 100's and battery life was excellent. The only issue we had was it picking up engine noise.  Read the new software fixes that a lot.

Mine does pickup engine noise, occasionally. Wonder if there's a firmware update I can download,...

I bought the 20s mainly because you connect two devices to it and for the ambient feature.  The only thing I don't like about it and one of the other reasons I selected it, the "double tap" for commands doesn't work.  You have to push the ambient button once.

Just bought a UClear 100 plus. No Boom. Fits perfect in a Scorpion helmet. Nobody can tell I am on the bike when on the phone. Only 3 buttons and they are pretty user friendly. Pandora sounds real good. I put a little spacer in the ear pocket to get the speakers a little closer to my ear. Has voice activation for phone. Only $139. Only had it a week but so far so good. I doubt I will use it to talk to other riders.

I bought the Uclear 200 about 2 years ago. I use it everytime I am on my bike. I use it maily for Pandora, but the when the phone rings, people can't tell I am on my bike. i am using it in a scorpion helmet. the only issue I have with mine, is that the wife likes to use the intercom feature too much!!!!! haha  The intercom works for a pretty good distance, with two paired, I think almost half a mile, from one to the other, and then you can leap frog with more unitsto get greater distance.

I highly suggest the Scalas. Buy whatever unit is best for you. I have the Qz unit, which is bluetooth music + cell phone, but no rider to rider. It made the  most sense, cost the least, and I'm VERY satisfied with it.

I have a sena SMH5...it's an OK unit. Too many functions, and while that jog dial may seem like a good idea, when it catches on your jacket, it's a pain in the ass. I also dont remember all the damn button commands to do what its supposed to...so I stick w/ the scala. The build quality on the scala is far better too. I've had to replace the mic once, and the entire audio kit as well....crappy wiring.

Update, the retailer I "bought" the unit from couldn't produce the unit (back ordered or something) they gave me a smoking deal on the scala g9x so far I am completely satisfied with the unit.