• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

BMW S1000XR

Looking to move from the Connie to the BMW S1000 XR to reduce weight for trailing and other reasons. Mainly just want something more nibble but powerful with basically the same options to do touring.  At 160 hp and great ergonomics I think I may have found it. 

Nice bike! ;D >:D >:D >:D

Admittedly, I like BMW's and the people who ride them. :beerchug:

But....for me they do not make anything for even close to the price, as good as the C14??? :-X

You might want to run over to the I-BMW Forum (if you have not already) :motonoises:

And talk to owners there and see what they say? :eek:

Seem to be nice helpful people there! :great:

Attachments

• SunRide2016_Locandina.jpg
    SunRide2016_Locandina.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 152
I got to ride a demo model at my local dealer. That bike is a hoot. It has a ton of power and with the electronic suspension it really handles. I really liked the riding position. I would have bought it, except I didn't think it would be great riding 2 up with my wife.

Regarding service costs....I have an S1000R which should be similar to the XR.  The 6K mile service just cost me 300 bucks. I checked the service board and the big one comes at 18k miles for the valve adjust...that service runs from 800 to 1100 dollars depending if shims are needed. That is cheaper that the ducati desmo service the dealer also does. All in all it looks like the service costs are in line with the 3 makes my dealer carries.

Update: I did purchase the BMW s1000XR today and I think I got a good price and landed a nice 7 year warranty.

As far as service, I know I can change the oil and do other things than the valve adjust.

I haven't seen what is required for service to keep the warranty valid , etc.

The connie is a great bile, and I will have many fond memories!

thanks!!

Jim

Can you provide more details on your buying experience; specifically, how you negotiated price and the long warranty? Is that a factory or a dealer warranty?

The Euro bikes pack in a lot of technology, convenience, performance, and build quality for the price

The common complaint I've heard about those bikes is a lot of buzziness. But I agree they look like great bikes.

HI, the buzzing is not bad, I did 100 miles the first day and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary for any bike. I've heard the buzzing gets better as the bike breaks in.

The deal went over fairly well as the bike was considered used with 744 miles on it as the previous owner returned it. I was able to get the bike below KBB retail for used 2016. I was fairly happy with the price and trade in the C-14 with 39k. The bike already had the break in service so it was ready for full throttle.

The warranty is a dealer warranty; a Pinnacle Protection Plan - 84 months - 25 deductible.

thanks,

Jim

Motorcyclist Online just had an update of their long termer, they said new heavy bar ends they just tried cured 80% of the vibes....  makes this bike verrrrrrrrrrry appealing...

sininja said:
Motorcyclist Online just had an update of their long termer, they said new heavy bar ends they just tried cured 80% of the vibes....  makes this bike verrrrrrrrrrry appealing...

I read that, and every other XR review on the web. Even that can be very subjective and I am wary of things magazine writers will say to 'bless' a bike to convince you it's okay to purchase- especially those from BMW. Also, I bet that remaining 20% buzz is that which will irritate one the most. I ordered the HVMPs for the C14 and bar buzz was equal or worse. The problem with HVMP bar ends are that they have no elastomer isolation bushing. Yes, they are super heavy, but depending on your buzz, they may not help at all. Kawi OE bar ends are a better anti-vibe design.  In fact, if the internal elastomer bushing could become hard over a long period of time, a new set of OE bar ends might be a better replacement. I'm speaking for the C14 right now.

I read a great deal of individual reviews.

What I came a way with is that the bike was one of the best bikes many have ever rode compared to other high end bikes.

There has been mixed reviews on the buzzing, which almost seems normal for any in-line 4, where you need heavy bar ends and keeping the throttle bodies synced, etc.

The cruise control will help on longer rides for sure.

The biggest issue for me now is how do I keep the speed down as the bike is 200 LBS lighter than the connie - 160hp/83 ft lbs torque with the same size tires as the connie.

thanks,

Jim

Southern_rider said:
The biggest issue for me now is how do I keep the speed down as the bike is 200 LBS lighter than the connie - 160hp/83 ft lbs torque with the same size tires as the connie.

JCO-V-MAX.jpg

;D

Hi,
        I sat on the BMW S1000XR and at 6'7" tall it fits me like a glove, but....

It is not a "sportbike" per say, more like a "dual sport" (seating style is different?) or whatever they call it.

Not that that is bad, (yea, if I was rich, I'd probably have one!) but I'm so happy with my C14 now, I don't see trading anytime soon!

Maybe try a used one (cheaper) down the road! :great:

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 176
I sat on the XR and liked it, but I liked the R1200R 10x better. So well balanced and so comfortable, I could sit on it all day. And there's nothing too shabby about 125/96, both at lower RPM.

They call it an adventure sport bike, actually the first of its type I think. Kind of like taking a motocross bike and adding a big engine and ballon tires with the wide handle bars.

Same engine as the s1000R with nothing de-tuned.

Not quite S_r. The Ninja 1000LT came before, which features longer travel suspension, wide bars, and more comfortable upright seating using the N1k engine with slightly different tuning. So while it's not based on the top super sport in the Kawi line like the BMW, it is the same concept.

The XR is actually re-tuned... what we would normally call de-tuned, so it actually is; they took 39 horses off the top end and put the meat of the powerband at a slightly lower RPM.

Looking to move from the Connie to the BMW S1000 XR to reduce weight for trailing and other reasons. Mainly just want something more nibble but powerful with basically the same options to do touring. At 160 hp and great ergonomics I think I may have found it.
I just bought a 2016 BMW S1000XR and was really excited until I rode it. It revs at 6K on the highway at 80mph. The vibration is definitely noticeable & annoying. Suspension is stiff & doesn't take bumps or potholes well. I have the Premium model with the ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) so maybe I just need to soften it. The previous owner set it up for trackdays judging by the wear on the front tire. I'm going to re-gear it +1 -4 and see if I like it. The stock exhaust was opened up too so it's louder than my Connie's Two Brother Stealth Slip-on. The seat is 1/2" foam on plastic base & uncomfortable. The fairing doesn't provide as much leg protection as the Connie and I kept getting stung with pebbles & bugs. If I dont like it After I replace or repad the seat, install a Slip-on exhaust, get some leg deflectors & gearing changes, its gonna go bye bye. It is very light however but the rest, I guess my Connie has spoiled me.

BMW bikes to me are just a pile of technology, with no soul. Just can't warm to them...my 08 C14 on the other hand is like a E-ticket carnival ride that I want to just keep going on over & over again...little bit scary, but a whole lot of fun. best of luck with the Bimmer...

I think I would be looking at the k1600b if I was going with BMW. But I would want to check out the 1250GS and 1250RT. Interested to see what upgrade Kawasaki is planning for the new concours.

Interested to see what upgrade Kawasaki is planning for the new concours.
Did I miss something? Is there a new Concours being teased? I was doubting that Kawasaki was replacing this model with an equivalent, spacious sized Sport or Super-Sport Touring machine.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

P.S. I would love to see a boosted 1400 class machine with superior performance, electronics and comfort. Seems there’s a lot of down-sizing going on industry wide.

Did I miss something? Is there a new Concours being teased? I was doubting that Kawasaki was replacing this model with an equivalent, spacious sized Sport or Super-Sport Touring machine.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

P.S. I would love to see a boosted 1400 class machine with superior performance, electronics and comfort. Seems there’s a lot of down-sizing going on industry wide.
I am optimistic

I am optimistic
I would like to be too - wouldn’t it be awesome a fresh new machine with all the latest technology, sweet suspension and the bloodline of a large bore inline 4 Kawasaki! Expect to pay handsomely for it though - $20K+ and that might be where the hesitancy has come in…

BMW bikes to me are just a pile of technology, with no soul. Just can't warm to them...my 08 C14 on the other hand is like a E-ticket carnival ride that I want to just keep going on over & over again...little bit scary, but a whole lot of fun. best of luck with the Bimmer...
Ok...maybe some models. But an S-bike? Really? Love my C14...but to call my S1KR soulless compared to my Connie.....ah, just no.