• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Body Armour

bubbles3133

Training Wheels
Hi All,

Interested to know what 'big guys' here are wearing for body armour (other than the CE back protection that comes standard in motorcycle jackets). I am about 140cm or 56 inches around my my waist(stomach) and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Cheers
Chris

Motoport - custom made in San Marcos, CA; probably the best armor you can get. Check their website and listen to Wayne's explanations. Expensive, but great stuff!

DLSnider said:
Motoport - custom made in San Marcos, CA; probably the best armor you can get. Check their website and listen to Wayne's explanations. Expensive, but great stuff!
I been looking for something like this. I sent them a message asking if they would add their amour to my Aerostich Ad1 pants.  I may order their body guard jacket.
Thanks

I wont  buy mesh jackets. They are too hot. The theory is to keep that cool air created by evaporation near  your body.  This is done by limiting the air flowing through your jacket.  When I was riding  out to the Nationals in Idaho I was  in 120+ degrees with a long sleeve self wicking t-shirt that I would stop and re-soak every few hours. Over that was my Aerostich Jacket  with the venting adjusted to minimal settings.  It was like being in an air conditioned room.

I think that if you cannot afford Klim then at least  buy Aerostich. Buy the best and you only waste half your money but try and get it onsale.

"Buy the best and you only waste half your money"
:iagree:  Took me almost 20 years to figure that out too. :great:

Hi Bubbles,
As you probably know quality armour is dependent of quality fabric, quality design and quality construction. Ya get's what ya pay for.
So here's another recommendation for Motoport. While I`m of average size 6', 185 lbs 42" chest I`m sure Motoport can accommodate your sizing needs. I`ve been wearing the stretch kevlar Ultra II pants for two seasons now and am very satisfied with them. They make my Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants look like well junk. There is another COG rider named Wayne aka Lone Rider who wears the same pants and he's is a large guy compared to me. He may have insight specific to custom large size Motoport gear. The first time I tried on these pants I could not believe how much protection they offered. I typically wear shorts underneath and they flow air nicely even on a C10. As much as Mesh, no but it works for me 95% of the time.
In recommending any gear I find it important to establish priorities in terms of what you're looking for. Is style more of a priority than function? Is low cost paramount? How do abrasion and impact resistance fit into your decision process?
Currently I wear a $300 jacket that isn't cutting it so have placed an order for a Marathon Stretch Kevlar jacket with a few modifications. It'll cost at least double what I paid for the current jacket. I`m personally good with that and anyone who gives me grief about spending the dough I figure probably hasn't done their homework or has their head in the sand. In North America there are only a handful of companies selling decent to excellent fabric rider gear.
I`m a big believer in ATGATT and have used an evaporative cooling vest with detachable sleeves for two seasons. I don't leave home without it during the hot season. The stretch kevlar flows more air than most any regular riding jacket but not as much as a mesh jacket. On a connie I would expect to need to resoak a cooling vest more often than with my FirstGear Teton jacket but that's OK cuz I`ll get more cooling effect. Living in Alberta temps vary from freezing to 100 F +. Depending on where you live and a few other factors you may find the stretch Kevlar Motoport offers will suit you too. There is a lot of interesting info to process on the Motoport website which you should read even if you decide in the end to buy from another manufacturer. Too many folks are riding around on expensive bikes but there riding gear is a joke, many folks don't want to know it but it's true.
Whatever brand to end up ordering make sure to correspond with them to ensure accurate measurements. I`ve found personally and in my research that this is the most critical stage to being happy with your purchase. Too often the bottom line is the top consideration.
Good luck with your search. If I can help let me know.

My advice is always to wear the best you can afford, but wear something (jeans are even better than nothing, but not by much). Whenever I see guys riding with shorts, a muscle shirt, and flip-flops I just cringe.

Experts study shows that body armor on a motorcyle is pretty much useless against impacts. Good for skin protection but that's about it.

Second hand experience (watching a friend go down at 45 MPH in a turn) showed me armor makes a difference. He went down on his right side, knee, then hand, then hip, and thankfully not even a bruise. Had he not been wearing armor, his knee would have been pretty bruised (or worse), hip bruised.
I bought armor mesh pants soon after that.
Jorge

Thanks guys...got protection covered now. Quality Mesh jacket, Knox Back and Chest Plate (I've removed the back protection from all my jackets and only wear the Knox Back Protector under the jacket), Kevlar Jeans.

The only thing I was missing was some sort of protection for knees, hips, thigh, tail bone...so I just purchased this to wear under my Kevlar Jeans:

http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/bohn-armored-pants.php

KLIM Gortex jacket/pants
bigthumb.gif

I tested it coast to coast, plus rode in Death valley with it off road for a week

SWP_3757.jpg

stevewfl said:
KLIM Gortex jacket/pants
bigthumb.gif

I tested it coast to coast, plus rode in Death valley with it off road for a week

SWP_3757.jpg

Which model did you go with on the jacket?  I see their upper end hitting 1500 and higher....

I went with the Badlands gear.  I wear the jacket all the time but I'm guilty of opting for jeans a lot instead of the gortext pants unless I'm on a "mission".

The jacket is $900 but it can be had cheaper. I picked mine up from a friend that runs a parts counter at a stealership a little cheaper.

Having purchased a Klim badlands pro jacket earlier this year it's definately worth the investment.  It did save almost $300 purchasing the overland pant which were lighter material the the pro.  Like Steve I wear the jacket all the time but only where the pants on longer rides or if I know it's going to rain.