• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Boney butt finds a solution to less seat pain

ghabel

Call me boney-butt cuz I have one. I've been in constant persuit of eliminating the ABBS (Achey Boney Butt Syndrome for the last few years. A couple of years ago I purchased some LD Riding Shorts. Designed for riders by riders. Their secrets are: wicking material, and no seams on the butt section. They claim that the butt pain is caused by sweating and the seam pressure. This past Saturday on the Nubble Light ride I ran an experiment. Normally I wear the LD Riding Shorts under a pair of jeans, then my JR pants over top. This time: LD Riding Shorts under a pair of "Chillies" long underwear, then the JR pants over top. None of these have seams that would put pressure on my butt. Typically on an all day ride my butt is killing me. This time I only had very minor discomfort. A major difference. ABBS cured at last! Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

I don't know what seat you have but I have notice that the stock seat transfers a lot of engine heat to the riders butt on long stretches. I think this is why so many of us down in the real heat use beads. It is the only way to get cool air to your butt all the time. I bet if you insulate the drivers butt better from the heat it would help you even more. My new Russel seems a lot better about heat transfer but still not as good as beads. Photos[/url]

I'm using the original stock seat. No heat issues that I know of on the buttocks. My riding gear (mesh in the summer) and the wicking clothing seem to deal well with any sweat. The LD riding shorts are amazing in that capacity. I'm thinking for the hot months to get some yoga type pants (wife has a pair) that are loose and without seems on the butt. Riding with just the shorts tends to cause some heat from the engine to go up my right leg via the mesh. Hotter than riding with pants underneath. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
6n2c6z

I seem to get some discomfort from the seam of my riding pants with the stock seat but I blame it on the stocker pushing me forward towards the tank and stretching my pants tight in my riding position. I am thinking of trying a Sargant Seat or having my seat modded by spencer

I have been using the LD shorts for a while now. I also run beads. good combo. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Have you tried bicycle shorts? Most have some type of padding that is called the chamois. It usually some sort of synthetic or gel. Try a size too big as the spandex will get a little uncomfortable.

From what I've read and experienced so far, the extra padding can actually cause more pressure points. Plus there are seams around the padding which also increase pressure points. So far seamless seems to work for me the best. YMMV. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
6n2c6z

I've been using the beads also for a couple of years now and they really work for me. Painted them black to match the seat and they're not very noticable. Plus the wicking type polyester underwear works too. The cycling shorts are available without the chamois if you prefer and that seems the ticket for motorcycling.

I'm still looking for a solution. Sheepskin, beads, wicking underwear, Butt Buffer pad...The beads help but after a long ride, I feel like I've been sitting on a waffle iron. They are not the ticket for me. I talked with a COGger at Bike Week who is an Iron Butt rider. He's using an Airhawk pad and loves it. I sat on his bike and it did feel good, but the proof is in a long day in the saddle. But, WOW, are those things expensive! Too much for an experiment. So, I'm still on the hunt. Eddie COG Marketing Asst. Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

My scheme, from top to bottom with 0-5 rating ld shorts 2 beads 5 sheepskin 3 spencer mod 1 stock seat I'm pretty happy with this setup 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg