• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Boots

dslinden

Training Wheels
Need help choosing a boot. I ordered 2 different pair of Astars and sent them back - to cumbersome. I'm now looking at the Sidi Champion air boot and the revit fighter H2O boot. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm looking for something for the summer that's not too bulky. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

I haven't tried the Sidi Champion, but they're on my short list to sample when I replace my Oxtars. If you haven't tried the Oxtar (now "XCR" I think) Matrix 2, they are similar to the Champions. The first Oxtar Matrix boot has served me very well for 4+ yrs, I'd buy them again.

I can't remember the model names of either pair of my boots... I have a 10 year old pair of full height Alpinestars Gore-tex touring boot. I also have a 3-4 year old pair of Sidi waterproof full height touring boot to replaced the Astar because the sole tread was wearing out from a lot of walking. I use waterproof boots when teaching MSF classes in the rain. Both are great boots that fit well and are very comfortable. I like the Astar over the Sidi mostly due to the ease of putting them on. The Sidi has speed laces and a large velcro flap, which takes a bit more time than the side zipper of the Astars. Any full height, waterproof touring boot will be a bit heavy and bulky. They are meant to be ridden in and are not walking boots. As far as flexibility goes, they take some time to break in. If it was the fit that was not right, then you may need to try others to see what is more comfortable. I am not sure what makes you say they are cumbersome. Maybe you can provide more detail. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

I don't have any experience with either the Sidi or Revit but I wear these from NewEnough.com. TCX X Five Waterproof and very comfortable. NewEnough has fantastic customer service and a very good return policy. I also have a pair of Alpinestar Ridge boots. Also waterproof and comfortable. They're a bit warm for the summer though and they are a physically larger boot than the X-Fives. Putting both pairs side by side you wouldn't believe they were both for the same size feet.

Thanks, guys. Sean I like the look of the TCX X-five boot. Looks to be relatively slim- lined and should fit well under jeans. Steve, I guess I ordered boots that I didn't particually care for. My mistatke. The boots themselves looked well made and I'm sure would have been fine for riding. Alpinestar makes quality stuff. The styles were just not me, which I couldn't tell from the pictures on the website. I put in a order for the revit's as a short summer type boot but I'll probably follow up with the TCX X-five's when I recover from spending all this money that I've just been spending. I feel like I have a huge hole in my pocket and I'm still needing so much stuff. Outflow is not matching inflow.

Outflow never matches inflow when you are farkling. A fact of Connie life. She will take all you have and still want more. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

I maintain that 'Farkling' is the purchase of accessories or gear for motorcycling that is made in lieu of less appealing needs like food and/or shelter.

TCX, that's it. Oxtar changed their name to TCX. I incorrectly said "XCR" in my previous post.

I have the alpinestars, but I'm thinking of buying these from 1st Gear as they just came out w/ them this year as I find my alpinestars R too tall, but they R great on a long trip & I would rather have something a little lower... http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3.nsf/Products/AA6EF3416F72B6B1862574EC004CFDED?opendocument ----------------------------- Easy Does It, But Do It & May U Always Keep The Rubber Side Down

I have the gortex Alpinestars but find them too hot for anything but cooler weather, and great for cold wet weather. I find leather engineer boots best for warm and hot weather, and no boots at all best for walking around.

I was looking at those first gears also. Looks like a nice boot. I opted for the Revit in a short boot as it looked a litle cleaner (notwihstanding the white "Revit" lettering - I can probably cove that with a sharpie).

TCX, that's it. Oxtar changed their name to TCX. I incorrectly said "XCR" in my previous post.
Really? Didn't realize. I've been busy wearing out my pair of Oxtar Matrix boots over the last few years; decent boots but I wouldn't call them great. The velcro calf flap doesn't hold nearly as well as it used to, the little plastic reflective heel patches are toast, and the waterproofness is questionable. I treat them with Doc Bailey's Boot Black before rides of any consequence, this I think helps seal seams and cracks as well as restoring appearance. Been looking at some of the new 'mesh' panel boots made for warm weather use... intriguing... ;) Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

I use Alpinstars Touring with the Gortex lining - works extremely well in the rain, any boot will be hot. Cycle Canada magazine in January recommened Alpinstars Ridge touring boot - gortex, about 1/2 hieght, used on European tour, comfortable even used for extended walks over cobble stones and castles.

I haven't tried their motorcycle boots yet but their other boots are the most comfortable I have ever owned. Russell Moccasins are custom made so are more comfortable and more expensive. Try russellmoccasins.com, sorry I can't figure how to set this as a hyper-linc.

Found these Specters. They look beautiful. Great review. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-boots/leather-motorcycle-boot/