• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Bouncing speedometer needle

dutchman

Tricycle
Last weekend on a ride on my 02 connie my speedo needle was bouncing on the latter part of a six hour ride. It did settle back down after a freeway burst. It had done a little of that maybe a year or so ago but had not had it happen lately until last weekend. Would taking it off to put graphite inside the cable solve this maybe, or is it the speedo itself? Or could it be the cable might have backed off the speedo unit.

If it is backing out at the wheel that is an easy fix. If it is backing out where it attaches to the speedometer might be a little harder to fix. There isn't a whole lot of space to manuever a big hand.

Thanks for the tips, I was figuring I would have to get to the speedo to fix this one way or the other. Guess I need to get the fairing off to get to it and then I can replace one of my dash lights at the same time........been putting that off by not riding at night. Going to put some graphite in the cable at the end where it hooks to the speedo unit and retighten the ends and hope that fixes it.

Or you can just take the windshield off then the inside cowling(s) and you should have all the room you need to get at the instruments. Graphite is OK but a liberal application of grease is going to be much better IMHO. Be sure to wipe off the top of the speedo cable off BEFORE you put the cable back on the speedo.
Guess I need to get the fairing off to get to it and then I can replace one of my dash lights at the same time