• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Braided lines questions... need your help.

zg

I'm looking to have some braided lines made up (F&R brakes and clutch), a question for you that have em on your Connie...

Did you just eliminate that square box that bolts onto the front of the upper triple clamp and just take out that connection altogether?

If so, did you then find a way to secure the line back to that general area or just leave it hang loose?? If so, any pics??

Thanks!

I installed Galfers and made my owh "blocks". They are 2-piece and grip the lines just enough to hold them. They are different left & right.
BrakeNov2010.jpg

SplitBlocks16Mar2010014.jpg

Thanks Phil, that's exactly what I'm looking for!! I should have known you had a fix for this, you da'man!!  :13:

Sent you a pm, I want a set...  8)

Does anyone have Spiegler brake lines, and can you accurately measure tho OUTSIDE diameter? Needs to be an accurate measurment, without compressing the line,  as in MM or thousandts of an inch? 

Thank you Phil for making me some of those blocks in your pics prior in this thread, you da'man!!  8)

For everyone I have another question that I need help on...
My bike is an ABS model, for those of you that have ABS did you re-use the blocks where the soft line and hard line meet?? There are 2 of these connections up front and one on the back, see pics below...

smiley_dunno.gif

IMG00894-20120317-1247.jpg

IMG00898-20120317-1251.jpg

IMG00895-20120317-1247.jpg

IMG00897-20120317-1251.jpg

I installed a 6-line kit by Galfer for my 2011 ABS (Galfer D768-6). The connector blocks are not used in the Galfer setup -- a threaded coupling with a brass internal washer connects directly to the hard lines.

Galfer includes plastic dipped clips to secure the new lines to the handlebars (and other places). . . I substituted insulated clips made for securing SO-239 coax (ham radio thing) that are beefier and better looking (IMO) than the supplied clips. I needed to ream open the clip holes a bit to accommodate the bolts.

I tie-wrapped some rubber tubing in strategic locations on the new lines so I could use the stock ABS line clips. Slightly ghetto, but it works!

Attachments

• SSlines_0495.jpg
    SSlines_0495.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 249
  • SSlines_0492.jpg
    SSlines_0492.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 222
  • SSlines_0502.jpg
    SSlines_0502.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 212
  • SSlines_0505.jpg
    SSlines_0505.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 207
Thanks for the pics PK, that helps alot!  :)

Can I possibly ask you to post up a pic of the rear connection from hard line to soft line too for the Galpher setup (similar to the pics I posted earlier in this thread of the rear connection block)??

Only slightly on topic:  I have to say that I've seen PK's set up first hand. It's a really nice set up and the red looks awesome on the bike.  :)

(Thanks Cap'n. . . appreciate that!)

Here is a shot of the rear connection, and a shot of what I did under the nose.

FWIW, I used the Phoenix Systems "reverse" bleeder to recharge the lines with DOT4. . . this connects to the bleeder valves and "injects" the brake fluid upward into the system. I still had to use the traditional MityVac to get the last of the bubbles out, but IMO the Phoenix made the overall process much easier.
http://www.brakebleeder.com/

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/Phoenix-Systems/?autoview=ProductName&gclid=COH006fx8K4CFcnc4AodHF99Jw

Attachments

• SSlines_0504.jpg
    SSlines_0504.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 192
  • SSlines_0497.jpg
    SSlines_0497.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 185
Thanks PK! That's exactly the pic I was hoping for, now I understand.

Did Galpher include the holding clip/bracket at the rear line connection (hard line to soft line) in their kit or did you have to create/make that yourself?

Yes, Galfer includes that fitting with their kit. I cannibalized and modified the stock rubber bushing to fit the Galfers. . . not 100% sano, but "close enough for rock 'n roll"!