• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Brake light problem

Yesterday - I attempted to connect "Back Off" to my rear brake lights. I followed the directions, although I missed by attaching one wire incorrectly but made the correct attachment. Once it was attached correctly I turned the key and now have no brake lights or license plate light. What happened? What do I have to do to make it right? 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 18k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CMA #140229 CDA #0308

First step: Check your fuses. You may have blown one with the wrong connection. Second step: Get out your wiring diagram and start checking for 12v. at the lights. Then work towards the front (at wiring harness connections) until you find 12v. My guess would be that something is still misconnected if the lights worked before you started the install.

Well, apparently I need to look at getting an upgraded junction/fuse box to hold accessories. I got the connection right and check the fuses - blew a 15 fuse. Got a box (a good thing) attached all wires, replced the fuse and one after another continue to blow them. Seems difficult that 10 amps from the Back Off would have this significant load on the electrical system. 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 18k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CMA #140229 CDA #0308

Verify your connections again. Something is shorted directly to ground. The light would not continue blowing 15A fuses.

I have to agree. If everything was happy before then the problem is in what you have changed. Might start by removing everything back to stock and making sure the fuse does not still blow. I would then triple check each connection as you put it back on. The unit itself may now be bad and shorted to ground. Good luck. Photos[/url]

Thanks everyone. I removed the Back Off Device and put everything back to 'normal' - everything is fine now. Thanks for the input on this. How would I go about checking the back off device to see if it is bad? 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 18k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CMA #140229 CDA #0308

I put a Back Off on my '02 a few years ago. It worked O.K for about three months and than crapped out. I was riding around with no brake lights for a few days. After putting everything back to stock the brake lights worked fine. Lesson learned. There are other products out there that work much better. Do a search for motorcycle LED brake lights. Good luck. '02 Connie COG # 6662 Dallas, Tx