• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Breakin oil change at 725 miles

dzywicki9209

Hit 725 miles on my new (bought in late September C14. Glad I didn't wait any longer. Did the final drive too. Used Amsoil 75W-90. It's been awhile since I had a breakin oil change. And talked to Steve today, going to send him my ECU next week to get a Mountain Runner Premium flash put on it. I'm ready for spring in Northern VA.IMG_7339.JPGIMG_7340.JPG)IMG_7337.JPG

I changed my 2009 C14 after 50 miles by taking it from the Dealer to my house. Oil looked similar to yours at 750 so I was glad I changed it after 50 miles. Also changed it with cheap dino oil again at 200 miles which much cleaner. Probably overkill but helped me sleep better at night. Now change it yearly or 4-5K.

Hit 725 miles on my new (bought in late September C14. Glad I didn't wait any longer. Did the final drive too. Used Amsoil 75W-90. It's been awhile since I had a breakin oil change. And talked to Steve today, going to send him my ECU next week to get a Mountain Runner Premium flash put on it. I'm ready for spring in
Thanks for photo documenting this!!

I made the mistake of posting the same on a C14 Facebook group. The majority of the comments were about how bad off my engine is. I'm guessing most people never saw their breakin oil and either had someone else do it or bought used. In retrospect, I probably should have used dino oil or a blend, but cost of an oil change isn't one of my concerns at this point. If I see it cloudy or milky in the sight glass after a few hundred miles, I'll just change it again.

I made the mistake of posting the same on a C14 Facebook group. The majority of the comments were about how bad off my engine is. I'm guessing most people never saw their breakin oil and either had someone else do it or bought used. In retrospect, I probably should have used dino oil or a blend, but cost of an oil change isn't one of my concerns at this point. If I see it cloudy or milky in the sight glass after a few hundred miles, I'll just change it again.
LOL - All new engines have this terrible, nasty oil. I would not be concerned a bit.

Now if your oil looked like that suddenly after many ‘clean’ oil changes then yes I would be highly concerned and that is what the warranty is for. Oil changes though before the first oil dump period of 600 miles - bah…

Carryon, enjoy the ride and let’s see that next regular interval oil change… 👍

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Reactions: Bud
Mine looked the same, changed it twice in the next 1000 miles them started using synthetic oil, i have less then 20 k miles now and i have changed the oil 7 times, yea i know its over kill.

My C14 was the first "brand new" vehicle I ever bought and was shocked at how the oil looked during the first oil change (50 miles). I think the majority of the discolored fluid comes from the wet clutch break in (just my best guess). I bought a New Honda Talon sxs last year and was anticipating a similar looking fluid during my first service but the oil looked almost new. I've never had any worries about the C14 engine and feel it's about as good as it gets.

I have had several new cars and 1 other new motorcycle and have also rebuilt a few car engines. I have never had anything look like this and am certainly not concerned. On the other hand, the FB group I posted in seems convinced that the engine is going to blow itself up at any moment. Was thinking of posting this picture and asking if anyone knew how to fix a problem like this, asking for a friend. And been too busy at work to get my ECU sent out for the flash. Going to drop that in the mail tomorrow AM.enginehole.jpeg

ECU finally got dropped int he mail today. Off to Steve for a Mountain Runner Premium flash. And off to the dealer to order the top case setup to get ready for the spring. Can't wait.

In case anyone is interested, these are the part #'s I got from the dealer for all the pieces. I am getting the backrest too, that part # is not on here:
Top case carrier plate (this changed for later years - this is for a 2022) - 99994-0620 123.96 (145.95 retail)
47 liter top case - 99994-0899 239.96 (299.95)
1 key system - 99994-0528 - 32.76 (40.95)
topcase color panel(black) - 99994-0656 - 45.56 (56.95)
Top case trim - 99994-0577-660 - 83.96 (104.95)

with 10% discount on all accessories - 657.75 - 131.55 + sales tax = 557.77
Not too bad. Would be nice to not have to get the color panels, but don't want to ruin the nice look.

Last edited:
That is a decent price. Be sure to post some pics when you get it installed. I was able to transfer the top case and back rest parts from my C-10 over to the C-14 with a little modification and having a bracket made. At the time I wanted to do it, the price was much more than what you paid.

I forgot to update my original post. When I went back to order the stuff, I found out they gave me a 20% discount for some reason. I didn't see anyplace that had these parts for less than retail so I'll take this price. Everything except the mounting plate was in stock in the US. The mounting plate is coming from Canada, eh. Everything is supposed to be here on Thursday.

It hit 60 here in Northern VA today and I was able to get my concours out for a ride. I figured I would snap a pick of the oil through the sight-glass for an update after the breakin oil change. First off, I have been loving the MRP flash, second the top case is really nice to have(I made a separate thread for that-the LED light kit should be here friday) and third the ultra plus oil seems great (first time I had used that brand).
Hit 800 miles on the odo so 75 miles after the breakin oil change. Not perfectly clear, but looks great to me after the breaking change.

Attachments

• IMG_7532.JPG
    IMG_7532.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 66