• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Broken guard for oil pan drain plug

jerrylking

Arrgh. So, I'm doing an oil change after adjusting my valves, and I notice that the protuberance on the oil pan that shields the drain plug is partially broken off. I don't recall casing the bike on anything, but, apparently, I did. Now, if it were just a matter of removing the oil pan bolts and dropping the pan, I'd replace the pan. Of course, nothing is that easy on the C-14. To drop the oil pan, you have to remove the exhaust and the radiator, which means removing all the plastic, which I just did for the valve job. I'm not doing it again. My drain plug is just going to have to live dangerously. If I ever need to remove the radiator or exhaust for some other reason, I'll take care of it then. However, if anyone has any ideas for how to provide some protection for the drain plug short of replacing the pan, I'm open to suggestions.

No thoughts on how to protect it but suggest finding a later model pan on Ebay and purchasing it in advance. Their sometimes difficult to find.

Ride safe, Ted

No thoughts on how to protect it but suggest finding a later model pan on Ebay and purchasing it in advance. Their sometimes difficult to find.

Ride safe, Ted
A new pan is available on Rockymountainatv for $197.93. However, what would be the advantage of a later model oil pan?

On the later model Oil Pans, the drain plug is on the front/leading edge of the pan, not below the pan.
So, the plug is much better protected.

Maybe worth some consideration;
Here is a plug with a lower head. ie; The lower profile wouldn't protrude from the pan as much.
Correct thread/ pitch, but not sure of thread length. May be too long.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
However, if anyone has any ideas for how to provide some protection for the drain plug short of replacing the pan, I'm open to suggestions.

Don't worry about is my suggestion, IMO that little guard doesn't do much anyway. I broke that off on mine 10 - 11 years & 200,000 + miles ago. Was a combination of pothole & speed bump combo with the wife onboard.

Have yet to have an issue with it.

Don't worry about is my suggestion, IMO that little guard doesn't do much anyway. I broke that off on mine 10 - 11 years & 200,000 + miles ago. Was a combination of pothole & speed bump combo with the wife onboard.

Have yet to have an issue with it.
+1

I think that guard is more a deflector than true protection of a bottoming out due to road, trailer loading (that’s the big one) or debris.

If you do choose in the future to replace your pan, as Ted said, get the later model pan. I have replaced a couple for folks, it again is just time consuming, however - be sure to consult your factory service manual as there are a number of oil pipe o-rings and a couple gaskets that you will need to replace - be sure to order and receive well in advance of disassembling. Reusing o-rings here is recipe for disaster…

Wayne, Carol & Blue

On the later model Oil Pans, the drain plug is on the front/leading edge of the pan, not below the pan.
So, the plug is much better protected.

Maybe worth some consideration;
Here is a plug with a lower head. ie; Wouldn't protrude from the pan as much.
Correct thread/ pitch, but not sure of thread length. May be too long.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks for the suggestion about the low-profile drain plug. That looks like it is worth a try.

Here is an oil pan for a later model ZX-14. The reason I'm posting it is to show you the location of the oil-drain plug.
I think it is probably the same pan as the later model ZG.
That would need to be confirmed.

Here is an early ZX-14 oil pan for comparison.

Last edited:
Here is an oil pan for a later model ZX-14. The reason I'm posting it is to show you the location of the oil-drain plug.
I think it is probably the same pan as the later model ZG.
That would need to be confirmed.

Here is an early ZX-14 oil pan for comparison.
Thanks. What is really interesting is that the picture shows that the guard/shield on the early ZX-14 oil pan is broken, just like mine. Also, I found a early C-14 oil pan for sale on eBay, and the shield on that is broken, too. Looks like that is the norm. I've been thinking about it, and I am sure that I can come up with some way to provide protection for the oil drain plug short of tearing down the bike and swapping oil pans. Some sort of miniature skid plate that covers the drain plug is what I have in mind.

Like Cliff, that protrusion got broken off my 09 many, many moons ago. I fitted one of those KLR650 plugs - a whole lot simpler than a sump swap.
Thanks. The low-profile KLR-650 plug is a great idea. I used to have a KLR-650. Bought it used, rode it for 6,000 miles on a trip through BC, Yukon and Alaska, and then sold it for $50 less than what I paid for it.

Shorter KLR 650 drain plug with recessed magnet / rubber seal washer.
Advertises the advantage of the shorter head.

Another / Shorter KLR 650 drain plug with recessed magnet / copper seal washer.
Has a tapered/flared area to center the seal washer.

I like these options. There is a small lip on this bolt though from which a strike could still occur, smaller profile thus less likely.

Pans I’ve replaced were torn open due to trailer loading and the bolt head caught at the fulcrum point of door.

Still feel ultimate solution is what Kawasaki chose to do - redesign / install different oil pan. Technically not a defect so no recall but they quickly noticed the err and exposure to their customers.

Wayne, Carol & Blue