• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Broken HJC modular helmet

bldoink

Moped
I'm not sure where to put this but I thought it worthy of posting somewhere.
I guess I should note that the helmet is not a newer model.

This was my recent email exchange with HJC:

Me
Jun 20 (6 days ago)

to HJC
Dear Sir,
I dropped my like new Sy-Max directly onto the right hinge,
breaking the white plastic part described in your diagram
as "Gear Teeth". I'm unable to find anyone who sells that part.
Can I get the part directly from you?
Thanks in advance for your consideration on this matter.
------------------
HJC Parts Center
Jun 21 (5 days ago)

to me
Please provide us the color and size of the helmet for our records
and a new set of white gear teeth will be mailed to the address
you have provided.

Fritzie Cota
Customer Service
HJC America, Inc.
16918 Edwards Rd
Cerritos, CA  90703
T:  (562) 407-2186 Ext. 256
F:  (562) 802-7706
E:  fritzie@hjchelmets.com
-------------------
Me
Jun 21 (4 days ago)

to HJC
Thank you very much for your prompt response and generous offer.
The color is black and the size is large.
--------------------
HJC Parts Center
Jun 21 (4 days ago)

to me
You are very welcome!!
--------------------
Me
4:54 PM (2 hours ago)

to HJC
Dear Fritzie Cota,

I received the parts today. Thank you for your prompt service.
May I share this correspondence on a couple of the motorcycle
forums I frequent?
Thanks
--------------------
HJC Parts Center
6:59 PM (30 minutes ago)

to me
Hi Tom:

Yes please do.  You are very welcome by the way!!

Glad to have helped to getting your helmet back to new.

Take care and thank you for your support in HJC!!
----------------------

Helmet is now fixed and back in service.

I loved my HJC Symaxes.  (had 2) Just bought a Scorpion modular.  Had to go a size larger and it is still pretty snug.  We shall see.

I had the same type of experience with Burton when my snowboard bindings lost a screw.  I couldn't find the correct replacements in the store, so on a whim I called the 1-800 number I saw on the tag of a jacket for sale and would up talking to someone who built the prototypes of Burton bindings.  We talked a few minutes, I answered some questions about colors and shapes, he deduced what my bindings were based on my answers, he asked for my address, and a few days later a bag of screws was in my mailbox, free of charge.  They get my vote.

HJC gave me similar customer service when my CL-Max helmet broke.  The button to open the chin-bar snapped off and flew across the parking lot.  The helmet was about two years old at the time, and I used it as an excuse to buy a new helmet.  (But honey, this one broke.)  So after I ordered a Sy-Max II, I contacted HJC about purchasing a replacement part so I'd have a backup helmet.  (I have a ginormous head, so no one else in the family can share my helmet anyway)  Received pretty much the same email, requesting my address and telling me they would send a replacement part.  Makes me happy to have a head that fits their helmet shape and size.

I think a Sy-Max III is in my future this summer.  (PinLock!  Finally!)

Good on HJC :great:

I got a similar response / free replacement when a molded hook on my Arai shield sidecover broke.

Always nice to find the companies that understand great service.