• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

brrrr neeeed heeeaaatteeed glllovvess

Wow it is cold out there. I need to get some heated gloves and right away. Everyone I talk to says gerbings and nothing else (I read a lot of that on here too. Road to work this morning and it was 27 degrees. Not bad. My Technic's jacket kept me warm and my Firstgear Overpants do the jaob on the legs but the "winter" gloves I own do not do the trick in this weather. I need some advice 1) on which gloves are recommended? and 2) what do I need to do to hook them up? I hope to buy them in the next few days (Read ASAP or By Sat.) Thanks COG - you are a very good friend 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 17k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CDA #0308

Also, do the glove liners work? Or is it better just to get the gloves? 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 17k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CDA #0308

Andy, Several things to consider and they all will cost you something. I agree on the Gerbings stuff. Very good and they stick behind their products. I do know of several riders that also use the Tourmaster gloves. Heated Gloves Pro's: Heated gloves are great Con's: Wires, Controllers, connections to the bike, not cheap and don't forget them when you leave home. http://www.gerbing.com/Products/gloves.html http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Synergy-Electric-Gloves-p-260_59.html Heated Grips Pro's: You can not forget to bring them along. Very nice for the frontside of your hands. Cheaper than heated gloves. Con's: Wiring connections to the bike, not as nice as gloves as the elements are the grips or under the grips, therefore the back of the hand does not get the heat. http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=58 http://hotgrips.com/cgi-bin/wizarddb.pl?Make=KAWASAKI I have heated grips and gloves. I never forget my grips. I almost always forget the gloves as they are a PITA for me to connect because they are the old Widder gloves and I don't have a widder liner. With the gerbings gear if you already have a liner or eventually plan on getting one (get one!) then the gerbing gloves make sense. Hope this helps. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor 133K and counting! http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

Thanks 2linby, I like your breakdown of the pros and cons. i decided on gloves because of the full hand heating rather than the grips which would only heat part of your hand, who knows of corse, I may eventually get grips as well. (Although I already have a hearty list of things I hope to do this winter) I just got back from nearby motorcycle accessory store and they keep the tourmaster synergy in stock. Tried them on, nice fit and okay price ($150 out the door with wiring) and the wiring would be very easy. Just haven't heard much about them (Yet) and the other thing I need to consider is sticking with one brand as you mention for a vest, liner or whatever. Thanks for your quick input 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 17k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CDA #0308

Pastor Andy, I'm not trying to steer you away from getting a set of Gerbings gloves but don't be so quick to not look at getting heated grips. If you get some "hippo hands" you can use a much lighter glove with the heated grips in the winter time and they will be just as warm as the Gerbings.

Andy, I have the tourmaster gloves and liner. I got the liner mostly to make the glove connections essayer. Just one set of wires from the bike to the liner and plug the gloves into the sleeves of the liner and your good to go. One thing on the tourmaster, make sure you insert the little plastic plug into the socket on the wire form the bike when you are not going to be using it for a while as mine corroded inside the plug. It did set for a couple of months covered with snow. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

One thing I experience with the Tourmaster gloves I have is that my thumbs get cold. Seems the wire for the thumbs moves around to the inside and therefore lets the outside of the thumb get cold. Before I ride I make sure the wire is on the outside edge of the thumb as much as possible. Must be my long fingers! Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

...don't be so quick to not look at getting heated grips. If you get some "hippo hands" you can use a much lighter glove with the heated grips in the winter time and they will be just as warm as the Gerbings.
Yup. $27 grips + $22 ATV mitts (fake Hippo Hands) = warm, dry, & cheep! 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

I also have heated grips and heated gloves. The grips get me down into the low 40's, with the gloves also hooked up I've been out for hours in single digit temps without discomfort. IMHO the gloves are well worth the expense to maintain the dexterity needed to ride safely and comfortably. I have the Widder set up which is a bit of a PIA, but I like the Tourmaster gear and will switch to it when the Widder finally dies. The Widder hookup was very simple - just a couple of connections to the battery if you don't have a separate fuse block already. I'd imagine the other gear is the same. Good luck in your search.

I have been using heated grips since last winter. Can't say enough about heated grips. Once installed it's just a matter of turning them on. With a good pair of non heated gloves my hands have stayed warm while riding around in the mid 20s. While the back of my hands aren't heated the heat from the grips sort of evens things out. I also noticed on long rides, with temps in the 50s having the grips on low, my arms don't tend to feel as tired as when I rode without the heated grips. I suppose it all comes down to personal preference but the wires for the gloves is not all that appealing. Also had a pair of hippo hands and heated grips and hippo hands really keep your hands toasty. I just never got comfy with the idea of my hand entombed in the hippo hands but that's just my own brand of paranoia/neurosis. Text

I'm with Paulie. Heated grips and Hippo Hands (Okay, they look clunky but they work GREAT). You can wear light weight gloves right down to single digit temps. I also have a pair of Gerbing heated gloves and prefer the heated grips/hippo hands.

got the synergy heated gloves, almost had to, my hands couldn't take it anymore. The place I bought them even let me roll Nicodemus into the store and install the battery connection inside, it was that cold. Rode home the next few miles and they work great. On a side note, here are some other things I think I think after purchasing them. 1) I will want a jacket liner if nothing else for the ease of connecting the gloves, 2) I think I will get heated grips as well, 3) I think I may even get some hippo hands and have the holy trinity of cold weather protection and 4) I think I will install an outlet or two in the fairing pockets for better plug in. Thanks all for your input and help 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 18k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CMA #140229 CDA #0308

Electric gloves should always come after use of an electric vest or jacket liner to ensure that your body is not restricting blood flow to your hands. I have Widder heated gloves and I almost never used them when I was doing a lot of Winter riding. I found that my 1996 Gerbing heated jacket liner under my Aerostich Roadcrafter used to keep me warm enough that I could get by with my Thurlow lined deerskin gloves and glove liners. Thurlow seems to be out of business now but Lee Parks Design seems to have some nice lined DeerSports

Mike I respect your opinion, However, my technik jacket liner and firstgear overpants keep everything but my hands warm. The temps on Long Island don't get too low but the wind certainly is a factor. I am considering a electric jacket liner next winter if not for the comfort of not having the wires running all over for just the gloves and thru the liner. I have only had a few days that I could not ride and that was because of snow or rain (with the change of freezing over on the road). the benefit of the tourmaster is that they are waterproof (as much as possible but very good) as well. 98 Windsor Green Connie "Nicodemus" 18k COG #8566 AMA #1084059 CMA #140229 CDA #0308

I too tried the electric gloves first, and loved them so much I got a vest the next season. All in all I use the gloves easily as much as the vest. I found the opposite of what Mike said was equally true for me. With the body tucked behind that big Connie windshield, the body did ok. And with the gloves taking the cold off the hands I always felt a bit warmer. Seemed to take any chill off including the core just keeping the hands warm. In general the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and its sweater work until I start getting down into the low 40's and 30's. Even then with a poly pro long john top as my T-Shirt, the seater and KJ worked ok for the 30min commute to work. In this weather, for a 30min commute, the hands were the only real weak link. And with the electric gloves on that went way. But as I found out it was not long distance travel ready. For hours in the cold you need the vest. What is tolerable 25 miles, isnt for 250. With the two combined, a test ride of 475 miles in the rain and cold including a mountain pass a 33* and snowing was a no brainer. Figuratively and literally. Fortunately it was not sticking. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg