• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Buell's Back?

Hogboy

Street Cruiser
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Feb/120222c.htm

This just in from Soop:

New Delhi, February 22, 2012: In a landmark development, the world's largest two-wheeler manufacturer, Hero MotoCorp Ltd. (HMCL), today announced forging a strategic partnership with Erik Buell Racing (EBR) of the US, encompassing multiple areas of collaboration.

As part of the partnership, HMCL will receive support in terms of cutting-edge technology and design to develop future models from EBR - the East Troy, Wisconsin-based firm, which specializes in designing and manufacturing powerful and high-speed motorcycles...

Looks like Buell will also be back in the AMA series this year.  Hope he does well.

Better late than never- hope he's got some pop in that new bike!  :motonoises:

Talk about your global economy... and what a shame no American companies stepped up to work with him.  :(

I think what Danny Eslick will do in that new EBR will be nothing short of spectacular.  Last year was all about data logging and they still finished in the top ten.  This year is about racing.

The collaboration with Hero is going to be nothing but good for Mr. Buell. 

427560_320440421346183_156869721036588_878999_646755148_n.jpg

Harley Davidson was the worst and best thing ever for EBR. The worst because they NEVER let him be him and design what he really wanted but the best because without the recognition Buell got from being a part of HD he wouldn't be able to get the deal he has now. he would probably still be building just a few bikes a year. I'm very interested to see how this deal pans out.

Judging from the pics JLB provided, the bike looks flawless, it seems to have been put together very very well. Thanks for the post Hogboy.  8)
Wishing the Buell team all the best! :1rij:

*** Spoiler Alert****

Well 1st race May turned in a very impressive 6th place finish, while eslick DNFd with electrical gremlins. 

In race 2 May grenaded the motor, and eslick finished in 9th.

May has the benefit of already having a season to learn and tune the bike, but I won't diminish what eslick did, which is essentially coming in cold and learning the bike the hard way.

I expect their performances to get better as the season goes on. The daytona track is not particularly suited for the EBRs as they have trouble against some of the high strung I-4s.  (although they did beat a fair share of them)

There is clearly room for improvement, but what they've done in so short a time is nothing short of remarkable.  I can't wait for the first podium.

Thats great... Another Motorcycle racing platform where Harley Davidson gets special dispensation as far as mods go..or should I say that the Japanese Manufactures are at a disadvantage because of the rules that apply to them but not to Buel.

It is just like Drag Racing...the NHRA put restrictions on Japanese Bikes to let Harley be competitive. (Harley used to have their own class)

It all went down hill when NASCAR turned real competition from manufactures with real improvements coming out of racing to a  BS IROC on steroids circuit with everyone  the same. Cant have someone like Dodge develop the Hemi engine and have an advantage over everyone else.

Lets make them all the same.

Its is what our GOV'T is attempting doing to our society.

Makes me Fn sick.

Lets see Buel  compete in TT racing!

I never seem to see Buel competing in the "Isle of Man". Maybe they wont make special rules for them.

I dont want to sound like an ass...but Harley Davidson needs to learn to compete with everyone else on their level.

I dont know...HMMN maybe develop a "4" cylinder bike that will compete with everyone.

This kinda BS slows development to real advances in the machines we ride...always having to go to the lowest common denominator.

I will give you a great Example! I was at a place today where all the local bikers go yo meet and listen to music. There was a Brand New Ultra Classic :Screamin Eagle 110 Cuber" 40 thousand Dollars worth of motorcycle. My 2001 Connie has Better Brakes and Tires. (I am running Dunlop Elite 3's)

In the Harley world of racing if this bike had to race...Everyone would have to get rid of their Brimbo or Nissan Brakes because it gives them an advantage.

Why am I saying all this??????????I guess I am pissed I had to do FN yard work today instead of riding and it was sunny and 78 degrees all day...SO NO OFFENSE I just had to blow off some steam.

It could be worse...You could be talking about our present political mess we are in and I would have to tell you what what I really think.

As Dan would say...JMHO...Mark

Ummm.. these are EBR bikes.  Not Buell.  They have zero relation to HD.  Also, I see nowhere that these bikes are given any special advantage in this class.

As far as 2009 in the sportbike class when the Buell won.  That's been beaten to death, and Buell won fair and square.

I think the new EBRs are running Rotax twin engines derived from the Buell/Rotax of a few years ago.

Too bad HD didn't start producing a modern V-twin like the Rotax but then the leather-chaps gang probably would be able to hold on to them (i.e. they'd make in excess of 37 bhp - the HD max I think).

Still, I think the "unfair HD advantage" comment was spot on if you look at AMA's racing history.  They ran those old side-valve 750's against the Triumph/BSA/Matchless 500's for decades.  This carried into the early Buell racing years too.

p.s. LOVE that front disc!!!

As an unabashed supporter of all things Erik Buell, I must insist that you all catch the AMA Superbike race tonight at Infineon.

Josh Hayes as usual qualified first on his R1 with a blisteringly fast time at almost 1:36 flat.  (Ben Spies track record is somewhere around 1:34 and change).

Hot on his heels was Danny Eslick in 2nd, and Geoff May in 3rd.  What makes this so special is that:

1: Hayes has all sorts of electronic voodoo in traction control, whereas Eslick and May have no technological tomfoolery in their right wrist traction control.

2: Hayes' bike has been years in the making with years of data logging and testing (and a huge budget), whereas EBR bikes are essentially brand new and in the developmental stage.

Regardless, the top ten spots in this first qualifying session are incredibly close timewise.  This is going to be an exciting race.  And no one knows the old adage "rubbing is racing" better than Eslick.  Hayes has always struck me as a bit of a primadonna who won't want to get his hands dirty.

Be there 0800-1000PM on Speed.

"no technological tomfoolery in their right wrist traction control."

I dunno Steve, but the R&D for racing "technological tomfoolery" trickles down to some safer street riding on the whiz bang new production bikes.
JMO

Zorlac said:
"no technological tomfoolery in their right wrist traction control."

I dunno Steve, but the R&D for racing "technological tomfoolery" trickles down to some safer street riding on the whiz bang new production bikes.
JMO

I'm not bashing the technology.  EBR will have it soon too.  I'm just saying that even without the electric nanny, EBR was able to run up there with the current best in the field.  A tribute to both the bike and the riders.  With the gadgets they may be unstoppable.

***Spoiler Alert***

First race at Infineon is over end the boys got 3rd (Eslick) and 5th (May).  Not too shabby for taking on the highly-refined Japanese 4's.

Here's a shot of "Black" Bart Markel on an HD-Aermacchi 250 single.  Not sure why I'm including it - maybe the EBR's history reminds me of another old HD hybrid.  Bart was also a Golden Gloves boxer so you didn't mess with him in the corners.  Note he's not wearing his boxing gloves here...

Aermacchi1965.jpg

Not bad.  May starting 3rd and Eslick starting 4th at Miller today.  These bikes are "in development".  Be scared big 4.

*****spoiler alert*****

Danny Eslick took 2nd on the EBR in Homestead, FL race 1.  It was a hard fought battle with Blake Young.  It was sure something to watch.