• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Built some luggage brackets and a question

I just got done building my own set of brackets for the E360 bags I am going to run on my 98 Connie.  I had looked at the Happy Trails Rack, and it looked like it put the bags too high, as well as a bit pricey.  I had an old wingrack for my SV650, and a welder, so I figured, why not?  Also I had picked a set of crash bars from Murph, and I wanted to kind of tie them together so maybe it would be stronger.  I thought I had heard somewhere that the happy trails rack wouldn't work with the crash bars as well.

Well I learned a couple things.  First, don't measure off the Rivco bars or the mufflers, they are not symmetrical side to side.  Although you will be hard pressed to tell, my bags don't sit in exactly the same place.  Secondly, just buy the Happy trails rack, mine ended up being nearly identical (only with round tubing and goopier welds).  However, my brackets are very solid, and didn't cost me anything but some gas and weld wire, and a bit of satin black rustoleum.

On to the question part.  I put a CeeBailey windscreen on, and while it is very quiet, the thing is just filthy like every time I get on the bike.  I scratched just wiping it with my glove.  Question:  is there some magic elixir to keep this thing clear longer, and what are your recommended cleaning materials?  This is my first faired bike, and I'm already tire of squinting in the glare of the dirty windscreen and taking the entire bike apart just to change a dash light.

In the office automation business we use a product called "Brilliantize" which is touted as a plactic polish. It puts an incredibly slick finish on our copier glass and reduces friction along with being anti-static and anti-fog. It is a lot like "Rainex" as far as water repellant. That is what I will be using on windshields and face shields.

Congrats on your handy project and thanks for the heads up on the commercial version as well.

Doug,  I'd be careful what I used on the screen and shields.  I've heard that RainX type treatments "yellow" them.

Uglydog56 said:
...Question:  is there some magic elixir to keep this thing clear longer, and what are your recommended cleaning materials?...

Plexus is good stuff, but it's gotten kinda $$$$$. If there's bug splats I'll 1st use H2O2 sprayed on.

oldsawfiler said:
Doug,  I'd be careful what I used on the screen and shields.  I've heard that RainX type treatments "yellow" them.

Thanks for the heads up! I will have to test it on the factory shield down low this summer. I also have a 26.5 cee bailey on the way via Murph for winter and rain and I look way over the factory shield so if it yellows some it won't affect visibility for summer riding. I plan on modifying the factory to reduce some of the buffeting from the "flip" after the new shield comes in.

Doug, I think the real problem with teh Rain-X type elixers is crazing of the plastic.  Tiny cracks and checking that are much worse than yellowing.  I've used Rain-X on the factory shield and they did crack up.  Not too sure it was the Rain-X or just their age and exposure, but...

BTW, I never did notice any yellowing, but they cracked inside of a year.  They were still usable, just ugly.

I think the rainx comparison has been taken wrong as far as the chemical composition and potential for damage to lexan. Brilliantize simply preforms LIKE rainx as far as shedding water. It is exceptional for making surfaces (such as copier glass) slick and antistatic but it's primary purpose is as an acrylic polish. It was formulated for plastic cleaning and polishing and is safe on any plastics I have used it on thus far. This is from the Brilliantize site:

Brillianize is specially formulated to clean, preserve and protect plastic surfaces. Use on acrylic, glass, Formica®, Lexan®, Lucite®, Plexiglas®, stainless steel, chrome, bright metal and all hard shiny surfaces. Brillianize is made in the USA.

I like the made in the USA part too!  :D This is their web site. http://www.brillianize.com/  It is relatively inexpensive as well.

I meant to add earlier that my experience was with Rain-X brand and others may be different.  And it does sound like the Brilliantize is a totally different kind of product even and the Rain-X comparison is unfair.  Sounds like pretty good stuff.  I mostly just use Pledge anymore or the Honda Cleaner/Polish.  But a better product is always worth giving a try.  I like the way Rain-X works, but the plastics thingy has kinda dampened my enthusiasm for it.  Thanks for the updated info to set me straight on Brilliantize.

Rick, for cleaning, a lot of folks use Pledge. Yep, the same stuff you use on your furniture! Less expensive than Plexus and seems to work well. For a rain repellant, look into this stuff. It's made for aircraft windows which are an acrylic or polycarbonate so it shouldn't have the bad effects reported with Rain-X. http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/12019 I haven't used it personally, but know some who have. No affiliation, yada, yada, yada.

Eddie

Some use to recommend not using the lemon because it attracted bees.  Now I am not sure you can get it in the original smell anymore.