• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Burned up a coil (or two)...

coffee_brake

...and tomorrow morning will truck the bike back home (if it hasn't been stolen from the front lawn I left it in...with a note and all, because the poor little old lady homeowner was scared to come to the door.) I burned up a coil, I'm sure. I was running fine, lost a cylinder, tried to limp to an intersection, gas station, streetlight, anything...but then I lost another cylinder and she just wouldn't go. Rolled into some poor lady's lawn and found I hadn't properly grounded the coils after the last valve adjust. How I went over 200 miles before it quit running I don't know, but when it quit, it smelled like burning sugar. Yes I was incredibly stupid, I certainly know that, but my question is, must it be a Concours or GPZ1100 coil to replace it, or can I use any other kind of coil? Does it matter if it's the 1/4 or the 2/3 coil? I'm sure I burnt out the 2/3 coil. Do coils come specific to the bike, or are they like spark plugs where one "size" fits several models? Thanks for any help, it made for a pretty bad evening. At least I'm pretty sure what's wrong.

Well I still have to do a shakedown run, but for the time being my coils are working. Still, the burning smell makes me think they were damaged. The problem, however, was a collapsed fuel line. It was always a little short and had a kink in it, and it looks like the kink collapsed. Stole the fuel line off the Harley, primed it up, and she started right away. I'd still like to know what coils would work on the Connie. That seems like a good part to keep on hand....

Connie Coils are remarkably durable. I would suggest that you check them first. If you still think you want some "spares", I've got a new pair I'll sell you. I bought them when I mistook my carb problems for ignition problems.

Thanks for the offer, but she seems to be running just fine. Daylight and a safe place to work sure make a difference in diagnosing what's wrong.

Jen also check your batt to frame ground, if that is loose or has a cruddy connection, you will be making the blk/yel wire up on the left coil act as a ground for the whole system, and it will get hot and smoke...trace that wire back to the batt to make sure it hasn't melted... also take a close look at the 2 wire connector on the wires coming from the generator up to the main harness, it is under the area near the starter solenoid, it is the one we did a replacement on at Canaan for the fellow whose carbs I was doing...that smell gives it away!!BT-DT. (if you need a coil shoot me a note, I owe you for the shirt!!!)
2550418850015463693SQtyXF_th.jpg
2897924420015463693CnEofH_th.jpg
Rich Riczinger COG 5977 Tech Editor,The Concourier

Rick I've been trying and trying and trying to contact you, email and PM's.... I thought you was mad at me or something! Thanks for the advice, the first thing I checked was the battery connection, but not to the frame. I'll check all of that stuff because I'm still worried about that funny smell it was making. She's running like a top now, but why take chances?

Rich is roght about the smell... it sure sounds like the harness connector from the alternator. It's a stinky fish when it goes. And when it goes completely, you don't go. BTDT too. Check that connector for melty-gooey syndrome.

Rev, I found no damage. I think I was fortunate enough (?) to kink up my fuel line just when the connection at the ground went bad. When I pulled the tank,I found the ground wire to the coils hadn't been put back on because I was an idiot and forgot. I am hoping my fuel issue saved my alternator, and have proved yet again that I learn everything the hard way. But...my new cams are in!

Are you putting the cams in yourself? If so, don't forget to ose a good cam breakin lube and keep those revs up for a few minutes to let them break in well. Glad to hear everything is coming together for ya. Ride on.

The new cams are covered under warranty. While I'm always reluctant to let any shop touch my bike, this dealership did do a very good job on the first break-in valve adjust so I think I'm going to let them do it...even tho I know I could...;)