• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Buying a 2012 to replace the '08

Mike153

Big Wheel
Hi all.....
Back after an extended break.
Had a real bad wreck in July 2009 and totaled my C14. Finally able to replace it and just got back from the dealership...
I've been reading all the updates on this board about ECU flash vs secondary fly removal, etc.
Could not find what I was looking for about a slip-on (loved the Two Brothers Ti I got from Fuel Moto with the power package for my 08).
The reason I went the pipe route was I couldn't hear the bike running, especially when I was alongside my regular riding buds on their HDs.
I kept having to look at my tach to see if I was still running....not good in Central NJ traffic, let me tell ya.
Anyway, can anyone direct me to any posts about slip-on (only) performance and characteristics?
Kinda expecting popping on decel, etc. Once hard winter sets in here I might go the ECU removal/flash route, although I didn't (yet) find a procedure for that. I agree that the bike was a bit of a dog bone stock, which I didn't fully appreciate til after the mods....but compared to my 99 ZRX, low end was a bit pansy to me. Took the secondaries out, PCIII, air filter, and Fuel Moto map....what a difference. Don't wanna mes up traction control in any way but think I may start with the slip-on. Thoughts or ideas welcome. Oh, I'm getting the Arabian Beer Bottle Brown or whatever color that is. LOL

- Mike153 from the ZRXOA  ;D

Welcome back and congrats. I suggest that you go into the C14 accessory section. Then do a few searches in the serch box with a few different key words. I bet you'll find lots of info.

You'll appreciate the upgrades on the 2012 over the 08. The heat problem is really a non-issue on the new bike, and the traction control and some of the other features are nice additions. Though I'm not real impressed with the operation (smoothness) of the linked brakes.

Guhl Motors has a reflash for the CS1 pipe that provides a very nice tune with no decel popping, and significant torque gains from opening up the butterflies much further and sooner. I don't know how much differences there are between pipe manufactures, but I suspect the CS1 tune would work on other brand pipes. The CS1 is basically a straight thru pipe, so if the one you are installing is of similar design, it probably would work just fine. There are several advantages of a reflash over a Power Commander, and it won't impact your traction control or require you to remove the butterflies.

Thanks Bob and Fred for the replies. Forgot how much info and expertise was here. :)

My dealer is a long-time Kawi guy. He tuned my ZRX up a couple of times, and drag raced one for a few years IIRC.
Anyway, he said don't go all bonkers with the secondaries, but yeah go ahead and put a pipe on it if I want...but that the motor is significantly improved over the original 2008, and that I might not want any more torque (unlikely) or a better seat (even more unlikely). I'm not all wild about the TC and linked brakes myself...more to go wrong....but I'll live with it. Dial everything to minimum, as they say.

Just talked to The Boss. She says pull the trigger and stop screwing around. So be it.  :beerchug:

Thanks again guys. Pics to come!

Your dealer might be right about the torque, I guess it depends on how much you feel that you need. You will get a new seat, the stock version blows. Figure a new windshield too. I'll be putting on a pipe (Area P) early next week, so I'll report on that. BTW, the "beer bottle brown" is the fastest color now.... :D

Mike153 said:
Thanks Bob and Fred for the replies. Forgot how much info and expertise was here. :)

My dealer is a long-time Kawi guy. He tuned my ZRX up a couple of times, and drag raced one for a few years IIRC.
Anyway, he said don't go all bonkers with the secondaries, but yeah go ahead and put a pipe on it if I want...but that the motor is significantly improved over the original 2008, and that I might not want any more torque (unlikely) or a better seat (even more unlikely). I'm not all wild about the TC and linked brakes myself...more to go wrong....but I'll live with it. Dial everything to minimum, as they say.

Just talked to The Boss. She says pull the trigger and stop screwing around. So be it.  :beerchug:

Thanks again guys. Pics to come!

Green light, go!! :beerchug: